Life as a Bottom 4 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Well I guess it is time to come to grips with the whole bottom 4 thing.

I have to admit I'm already struggling with the realisation that next weeks game is almost certain to be a loss despite the Lions being weakened by injury but we really don't have a good arguement to say that we will win given the last 8 weeks of football.

Am I being to negative too early? I'm not sure i've been positive to this point but there comes a time when being positive is just plain silly.

So what about the rest of the board, how are you coming to grips with the prospect of being a bottom 4 side come seasons end?

repeat the following like a mantra and you will numb yourself from the ignominy of sustained failure:

we are rebuilding.

It will be fascinating this week to see how the Club responds to the current situation. I have always admired Craigy's stance that we don't believe in "bottoming out" - not much point in that over the next couple of years anyway!:(

Will there be some actions/ statements/ selections that suggest we are about the future?:thumbsu:

Will the Crows continue with the "no gift games" line and make conservative selections?:thumbsdown:

A couple of the younger list players are showing a bit in the SANFL - maybe not too much of a "gift" to have a look at them?

It will be fascinating this week to see how the Club responds to the current situation. I have always admired Craigy's stance that we don't believe in "bottoming out" - not much point in that over the next couple of years anyway!:(

Will there be some actions/ statements/ selections that suggest we are about the future?:thumbsu:

Will the Crows continue with the "no gift games" line and make conservative selections?:thumbsdown:

A couple of the younger list players are showing a bit in the SANFL - maybe not too much of a "gift" to have a look at them?

I find Craig's bottoming out comment interesting considering that Richmond were within 3 points of making us equal bottom so i am not sure how much more we can actually bottom out.

Guys like Talia, Gunston etc are 2011 prospects. For the rest of 2010 time to get game time into Tex, Danger in the middle and see where Griff and Sellar fit into our future plans.

I would also bring Sloane in down the track and after Patrenko's breakout game find where he best fits our side (half back is my best guess). Keep Armstrong and Davis around the mark as well, all of these things are what will hold us in good stead going into 2011.

From a pure statitsical point of view we are due for a turn down there. It's been a good run in the middle to top half of the table, but I have new found appreciation for Richmond supporters.

:D :thumbsu:

thanks mate, it must be refreshing for you guys to be frustrated from losing games that you would have prefered to win

:thumbsu: happy to help. we'll probably need a couple of seasons of sustained success before it feels normal. that's the problem with the aforementioned mantra, after a while, it becomes normal.

The thing that saddens me is we haven't bottomed out yet we are still heading South towards the bottom. I'm looking forward to actually hitting the bottom and then bouncing.

The other things that saddens me is after watching the Richmond/Hawthorn game today, we are now the least physical team in the competition. Richmond have more aggression, tackle with more intent than we do. Richmond players also fight much harder for the jumper than some of our front runners do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its amazing how quickly you change your mindset when you are languishing at the bottom of the pile. A few years ago I was taking the P out of my Port mates for Chocco putting the cue in the rack after round 13. Now I find myself hoping we don't win too many games so we can get that much needed pick 4 or 6. After watching the game on Saturday night I don't think I have too much to worry about, pick 6 looks very likely.

:thumbsu: happy to help. we'll probably need a couple of seasons of sustained success before it feels normal. that's the problem with the aforementioned mantra, after a while, it becomes normal.

Well the positive part is you've picked a great time to be on the up, after sitting through you guys belting us at Subi you've atleast got this season to look forward to and hopefully a home final.

I imagine freo fans will once again love living in Perth.

It definitely sucks, but what you gonna do? Just forget about anything to do with the ladder and take each game as it comes. If we lose, then its just confirming what we predicted prior, if we win, then great, maybe a little smile through the cracks of a frown.

Such is football.

I sorely hope that we can turn this thundering shitstorm into a wave of whipped cream come next year.

The thing that saddens me is we haven't bottomed out yet we are still heading South towards the bottom. I'm looking forward to actually hitting the bottom and then bouncing.

The other things that saddens me is after watching the Richmond/Hawthorn game today, we are now the least physical team in the competition. Richmond have more aggression, tackle with more intent than we do. Richmond players also fight much harder for the jumper than some of our front runners do.

We bottomed out last night. What I've heard of we showed no fight, no passion until the game was over a 3 quarter time. With the pressure off we closed it back to single digits at the end. Most of the players aren't even trying because they're frustrated. Next week is simple, we need to play attacking footy for all 4 quarters or we will lose crowds. I still think we will play better later in the season and get some spoiler wins.

I accepted the positioning on the ladder a few weeks ago (I was quick to conceed the season...) and was not expecting to move from bottom four this year.
However this piss poor effort we're pulling out our asses is another story, doesn't make it any less acceptable. It has just been pathetic.

Now hang on just a cotton pickin' minute....Portpower suck...we'd probably blow.;)

We kick backward instead of forward, points instead of goals, handball instead of kick, finish a game instead of starting it...Have I missed any?

Drop marks with two hands instead of one;)

It sucks but it's life. We've never been here before and I guess everyone has their turn. Haven't been as obsessed with footy this year as I have been in previous years. Doesn't mean I go to less games, I just find myself having more fun believe it or not when I'm watching the game with mates at the ground or at a pub. Gonna miss September though!

It sucks but it's life. We've never been here before and I guess everyone has their turn. Haven't been as obsessed with footy this year as I have been in previous years. Doesn't mean I go to less games, I just find myself having more fun believe it or not when I'm watching the game with mates at the ground or at a pub. Gonna miss September though!

It's a part of most Club's reality... and we've been VERY lucky to not experience it before. Doesn't make it easy though, and I'd like to think it won't be for very long!

Remove this Banner Ad

Life as a Bottom 4 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back