Life as a Bottom 4 side

Remove this Banner Ad

It definitely sucks, but what you gonna do? Just forget about anything to do with the ladder and take each game as it comes. If we lose, then its just confirming what we predicted prior, if we win, then great, maybe a little smile through the cracks of a frown.

Such is football.

I sorely hope that we can turn this thundering shitstorm into a wave of whipped cream come next year.
I just hope we can do what Geelong did after failing to live upto the hype in 2006, and win a premiership in the next 2-3 years. We have the list to do it, but there is just some deadwood clogging it up atm.

The other things that saddens me is after watching the Richmond/Hawthorn game today, we are now the least physical team in the competition. Richmond have more aggression, tackle with more intent than we do. Richmond players also fight much harder for the jumper than some of our front runners do.

I know it's a rarity Captain, but I have to agree with you. We are the least physical side in the competition.

I hate the way that our half-arsed tackles are brushed aside, which when added to that backwards sideways bullshit we served up for 3 quarters makes it look like we don't even want to participate in a contest, let alone put our bodies on the line.

Its certainly a different feeling...how has it affected me?

Well for a start I left it until 1230 today to get the Sunday Mail instead of the usual 9am trip to the servo.

Im tending to not knock off at 430 on a Monday now to hear the Crows interview on 5AA.

Last night I accepted an invite for tea at the pub and was happy to tape the game...normally of course thats a no brainer stay at home and watch. As it happened it was on the big screen anyway and by half time I could just enjoy the evening out.

I have saved money by not organising any interstare trips...also saved money by not organising the annual week end at the Lakes Hotel with friends to coincide with a Saturday night game.

Im sure there will be more changes as the years goes on.

It's a part of most Club's reality... and we've been VERY lucky to not experience it before. Doesn't make it easy though, and I'd like to think it won't be for very long!

if it was luck, how come it took us so long to accept the downturn?

that is prime evidence that we as a club do not think it was luck.

I am pretty sure the Club felt exactly like we all did - that it was just one of those things and we'd come good. The injuries that we'd faced pre-season and then in the season proper and then a lack of confidence were enough to cover the real reason (whatever that is!) that something else might actually be wrong. And of course, we'd been getting progressively better each game (albeit slowly), so our return to good form was just around the corner. The game against North on the weekend was the clearest indication that all is not right - and can't all be blamed on injury.

We are "lucky" that this is our first real downturn (though I believe it is artificial and not because of lack of genuine talent) because we could have been there many times before like most other clubs, but we have been well managed and our philosophy of not bottoming out is one that has worked for us.

I'm finding the different ways of turning the footy over we are inventing pretty amusing actually. I think sometimes you just have to laugh. But then i've never been one to take footy too seriously.

At least when we have lost previously, you could walk away thinking 'well the boys gave it a good shot, just weren't good enough!' At the moment, we are so far away from anything resembling a competitive footy team, that all you can do is laugh. They have fallen away so badly in form. It shows it doesnt take long to go from hero to zero.

I'm finding the different ways of turning the footy over we are inventing pretty amusing actually. I think sometimes you just have to laugh. But then i've never been one to take footy too seriously.

At least when we have lost previously, you could walk away thinking 'well the boys gave it a good shot, just weren't good enough!' At the moment, we are so far away from anything resembling a competitive footy team, that all you can do is laugh. They have fallen away so badly in form. It shows it doesnt take long to go from hero to zero.

However the way even those around us are playing better than us makes me think it's going to take longer to get back to where we finished last year.

I'm even thinking that we might not even win another game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, you don't win premierships by getting lucky, you don't finish last by luck either.

Our ladder position is a true reflection of our performances this year....

It definitely sucks, but what you gonna do? Just forget about anything to do with the ladder and take each game as it comes. If we lose, then its just confirming what we predicted prior, if we win, then great, maybe a little smile through the cracks of a frown.

Such is football.

I sorely hope that we can turn this thundering shitstorm into a wave of whipped cream come next year.

What you think there is a magic fix and this is a one year thing:rolleyes: The cake is crap, poor list management and under deveolped, poorly treated younger players has lead to our demise it will be two to three years to turn this around.

I know it's a rarity Captain, but I have to agree with you. We are the least physical side in the competition.

I hate the way that our half-arsed tackles are brushed aside, which when added to that backwards sideways bullshit we served up for 3 quarters makes it look like we don't even want to participate in a contest, let alone put our bodies on the line.

What it looked like Saturday night was someone had put a slice of swiss cheese across the middle of Etihad and we were trying to find ways of going around or through it, it really was embarassing uncompetitive rubbish.

I just hope we can do what Geelong did after failing to live upto the hype in 2006, and win a premiership in the next 2-3 years. We have the list to do it, but there is just some deadwood clogging it up atm.

That doesn't just happen though. For a start, the playing squad has to show determination and desire, which we seem to be a long way off of yet.

80% of the team has taken the season off , its pure laziness 'cause the talent is there but not the competitive will or desire

so dissapointed our team has now become the 'easybeats':(

Is it true that Craigy has refused help on tackling from a rugby expert ?

Anyway just think of all the juicy draft picks we can choose from. :rolleyes:

that is by far the worst part of the situation. There is no point being a bottom 4 side this year.

We have managed to not only blow a season we have managed to do it at the worst possible time, just think if this was early 200's we would have been looking at priority picks and top 2 picks which would have been somewhat of a pandadol for this headache.

but instead its going to be pick 8 or so

that is by far the worst part of the situation. There is no point being a bottom 4 side this year.

We have managed to not only blow a season we have managed to do it at the worst possible time, just think if this was early 200's we would have been looking at priority picks and top 2 picks which would have been somewhat of a pandadol for this headache.

but instead its going to be pick 8 or so
Assuming we finish 15th, with 4 wins or less, ahead of winless Richmond in 16th.. and assuming that no other team qualifies for a PP (Hawthorn are still looking like joining us).
* In the early 2000s we would have got picks 2 & 4 (and pick 20 in the 2nd round).
* In 2009 we would have got picks 2 & 18 (and pick 20 in the 2nd round).
* In 2010 we get picks 6 and 27 (and pick 30 in the 2nd round).

We picked a seriously bad year to bottom out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Life as a Bottom 4 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back