Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

H&A vs Finals though. This current lot can play well but not finals hardened.
And if you look at the games where we got found out this year, it was midfield. Carlton pantsed us, gold coast, Port.

They did a great job turning things around for the past however many weeks, but the common area where we were found out all year was midfield. I don't give a **** what Hoyneys stats say.

If we know anything about finals it's that he likely gets reported now we're out but surely if playing next week he would be playing

I can only think it's for the tackle, and don't think it looked that bad
Dangers tackle was perfect and I wouldn’t want him to tackle any other way.
The game is seriously broken if that’s a free kick let alone a suspension.

A disappointing end to the season. We were so close and the result could so easily have gone the other way. We did a whole lot better than most people predicted at the start of the seaon. This year I haven't thought we had as good a team as we had in '22 or our other premiership years with older players not as good as they used to be and younger players not as good as they will be, but we were in with a chance in a year that was so even with just about any team playing well on any given day or playing badly on another. I have no doubts that our players couldn't have tried any harder. I know I'm a one eyed supporter but there seemed to be so many dodgy decisions and I was sick of seeing our players take clear marks only to have opposition players come in late and push or throw them to the ground. On another day with different umpires these would have resulted in 50m. Now I'm going to avoid TV, newspapers and social media for a while and delete the match that I recorded. I'll look forward to Mad whatever day it is and the Carji and wait for next year. I'm still proud to be a Geelong supporter.

Everyone's focusing on midfield possession numbers but they didn't hurt us one bit from there. This is almost entirely a tactical choice to play fast moving, ultra low possession games.

Anybody mentioned yet that Bruhn and Atkins had more score involvements combined than Neale and Dunkley or does that not fit the narrative?

The problem in the 3rd quarter was our half forwards lost composure going forward and our deep forwards were too often out of position. We turned it over in bad spots and couldn't stop them going back the other way.

What an awesome season for our team. Very proud of them and the better team on the night definitely deserved the win.

I think the Swans and Lions are in their absolute primes. We are a year or two off.

The rollercoaster of it all makes me realise this is the best sport in the world, and I’m lucky to be a Geelong supporter.

Can’t wait for the trading period and the pre-season!!

Total marks for the night was 64 - 111, the contested mark total was 8 - 11

That means uncontested marks were 56 - 100

An extra tall isn’t going to stop the uncontested marking game they played - they were happy to look for the short options if it meant an open player and force the overlap that way
Good ball using side with runners have little trouble picking apart our zone defence once the game opens up in the second half that's where we have been vulnerable all year.

Last edited:
A disappointing end to the season. We were so close and the result could so easily have gone the other way. We did a whole lot better than most people predicted at the start of the seaon. This year I haven't thought we had as good a team as we had in '22 or our other premiership years with older players not as good as they used to be and younger players not as good as they will be, but we were in with a chance in a year that was so even with just about any team playing well on any given day or playing badly on another. I have no doubts that our players couldn't have tried any harder. I know I'm a one eyed supporter but there seemed to be so many dodgy decisions and I was sick of seeing our players take clear marks only to have opposition players come in late and push or throw them to the ground. On another day with different umpires these would have resulted in 50m. Now I'm going to avoid TV, newspapers and social media for a while and delete the match that I recorded. I'll look forward to Mad whatever day it is and the Carji and wait for next year. I'm still proud to be a Geelong supporter.
I reckon Zuthrie would be leading the stat for 'Goals conceded by not being paid for front-on contact' in going for marks. We really seem to cop the rough end of the pineapple in the backline with that scenario, our blokes are already courageously backing back getting hands to the ball, then get whacked while off-balance, naturally fall to ground and the seagull oppos forwards swoop in and goal. Makes me bloody annoyed, especially when at the other end a gentle brush to an arm or shoulder results in a free to the oppo forwards.

Dangers tackle was perfect and I wouldn’t want him to tackle any other way.
The game is seriously broken if that’s a free kick let alone a suspension.

The game is broken regarding umpiring and dangerous tackles and it ruins any spectacle that the game used to be.

I reckon Zuthrie would be leading the stat for 'Goals conceded by not being paid for front-on contact' in going for marks. We really seem to cop the rough end of the pineapple in the backline with that scenario, our blokes are already courageously backing back getting hands to the ball, then get whacked while off-balance, naturally fall to ground and the seagull oppos forwards swoop in and goal. Makes me bloody annoyed, especially when at the other end a gentle brush to an arm or shoulder results in a free to the oppo forwards.
Agreed, Zach gets pole axed in marking contests regularly and gets donuts from the umps.

Everyone's focusing on midfield possession numbers but they didn't hurt us one bit from there. This is almost entirely a tactical choice to play fast moving, ultra low possession games.

Anybody mentioned yet that Bruhn and Atkins had more score involvements combined than Neale and Dunkley or does that not fit the narrative?

The problem in the 3rd quarter was our half forwards lost composure going forward and our deep forwards were too often out of position. We turned it over in bad spots and couldn't stop them going back the other way.

Lions won clearances 43-33. The differential after half time would have been even greater I presume.

I agree with your points about some very poor decision making of our half forwards. Stengle in particular had some completely bizarre moments which cost us badly.

But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to also acknowledge that we were soundly beaten after half time by their midfield. Their ability to run and link up in transition killed us. They also fluffed some shots which should have had them further in front at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That mcbaggage free kick against danger was a bit of a turning point. He didn’t try to protect himself with both arms free and then played up hitting his head. The players are so desperate to get a free (hello Hokthorn), they’ll risk their head bouncing off the ground. I don’t think his head even touched the ground in this case.
The hand to head is a Hawthorn tactic I’m sure of it.

Fitting end to a real Jekyll and Hyde season for many of players and the team as a whole.
Too much inconsistency. We were lucky to get this far I reckon, but I am not really that disappointed as the future is looking OK with new guys and a few diamonds in the rough coming through. Still some issues, midfield is perhaps one that needs some tweaking and a couple of old stagers reaching the end with some who may need to be moved on.
I enjoyed the season as a whole. It was an entertaining journey. Perhaps not the ending we would have liked but I reckon I got my money’s worth overall.

?????
‘they didn’t hurt us one bit from there’??

We goaled to get in front with 2 minutes to go and then they won two centre clearances for two quick goals to win the game.

Coaches have done an impressive job adapting to our personnel but if you think Bruhn, Atkins, Bowes played at the required level last night you are kidding yourself.

?????

We goaled to get in front with 2 minutes to go and then they won two centre clearances for two quick goals to win the game.

Coaches have done an impressive job adapting to our personnel but if you think Bruhn, Atkins, Bowes played at the required level last night you are kidding yourself.
I actually thing Bowes was one of our better players in the first half, but he is definitely not a guy who dominate at stoppages. Atkins tried hard but his lack of pace was really exposed. Bruhn remains disappointing.

I think the MC will want to review that last 5 minutes very closely, 1 point up, 2 minutes to go.
Now I know with the 666 rule you can't put players back, but after the bounce we had another throw up, where were our numbers?! Why weren't our half forwards pushing to get around the contest to reduce open space and/or crowd the contest, why were our midfielders streaming GOAL SIDE of the contest instead of ensuring the Lions didn't get numbers on their goal side, and give themselves a chance to score.
We failed in those crucial moments late. Didn't look to protect the lead. Didn't look to reduce space. Didn't look to reduce run. Didn't look to get numbers around the ball.
It honestly looked like it was 5 minutes into the first quarter with how they set up and moved.
Very very disappointing, and a lesson that has to be learned.

?????

Atkins had a shocker, Bruhn's body is always breaking down, Bowes didn't handle the pressure of the prelim. Atkins tries hard but a midfielder needs to do more than tackle. When was the last time he went forward and kicked a goal. At least Bruhn and Bowes do that.

On the Holmes injury, not sure if it was picked up on the telly but at the game he copped a what looked like a knee to the ribs in a marking contest in the 2nd quarter. He was on his haunches for maybe a minute up the city end, southern stand side near the 50 & boundary line while Brisbane had a shot at goal. I was wondering whether he’d busted a rib or a lung. Could it have been that rather than the hammy or whatever?

There were a couple of ordinary kick outs from Stewie and that was one of them that set Max up a bit. 17.38 on the clock in the 2nd.

This certainly has some truth. We didn’t get belted in there like we have done on occasions. We were definitely winning territory and had 60 inside 50s but we dominated the ruck and got cleaned up again in contested ball and stoppages in there. You can’t be touching it 10 times a game as a modern day midfielder.

The fwds stats looked good on paper but when the pressure is on Cameron, Neale and Henry can’t or won’t compete in the air. It’s left to Danger or Blitz to make a contest and bring it to ground. We looked so dangerous any time the ball hit the ground in the fwd line in space or chaos. That’s with Stengle doing SFA. Where we didn’t look dangerous was slow entries, marking dump kicks or any front half stoppages.

The morning after
  • yes, it was an opportunity let slip (just one early goal? Surely that was a mark to Zuthrie before Ah Chee started the comeback)
  • that was premiership-worth stuff in the first ten minutes; just couldn't sustain it
  • man, it sucks to be the loser of an "all time classic final"
  • we did the right thing with almost all our selections. 'Dance with the one who brought you'
  • in isolation, it's been a hell of a year. The only reason this isn't being mentioned is that people are accustomed to us being in the mix every year even when we have no right to be.

I never want to speak about the match again and couldn't give a stuff about next week.

Super proud of the kids this season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back