Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

He arguably shouldn't be playing, but he did nothing but work hard and try to win his position. He did some nice little things too here and there. He might surprise a few next year with a post season of feedback, reflection and more focused training.

He is good 1 on 1 especially.
He needs significant time in the ressies learning whatever position they envision for him. Do they want him as a burst out of the middle midfielder? Then give him 15 games at 80% there in the ressies to learn it. His role and contributions in the seniors don't justify his inclusion.
And at his age and inexperience it's still hard to see exactly what the upside here is or what the end game is. If the goal is to make him a tagger it's a waste because it's just a waste of a midfield slot.

No it's not.

It's a statement that Scott was very concerned with Port's weapons and less focussed on Geelong playing to its strengths. Mullin and Bews shut their men down against Port when we belted them but were not effective in a competitive game against Brisbane. The Lions smalls ran merry dance AND we took away one of our highest effective disposal winners for the season.

It cost us dearly. If Bews and Mullin blanketed and repelled all game it would have been a master-stroke. Some gambles pay off, some don't.
If !
We finished up higher than most would have predicted with our list, and what we saw v Port was perhaps too good to be true, but respecting the Lions’ talent is wisdom. Mullin is a player of the future and will have got more out of yesterday than the Port game

So if the prevailing (and I think correct) view is that we over achieved this year, where now is the bar for next year?

With our list (including the changes both in and out), it's hard to know what the pass mark is for 2025.

Pass mark is 6th-10th as we will be lower next year

Do people genuinely believe there was nothing the Scott or the Match Committee could have done last night to win us that game? That we had no strings to pull or ways we couldn't have given ourselves a better chance? Yes, the Holmes injury made things tough, but we're the Geelong Football Club, how many times over the years has Chris Scott manufactured against the odds wins for us in situations where things looked stacked against us? Did we apply a "oh well, not much the MC could have done here" to those games? Why be accepting of poor outcomes just because the positive outcome would have been difficult to accomplish?

If any other club had just lost a home preliminary final against an interstate team we'd be calling it a choke. When the situations were reversed in 2020 and we beat Brisbane at the Gabba during that Prelim, I remember people using that word to describe them. In fact, not just any "people". Posters on this forum. Supporters of this club. I doubt any Cats fans would have had any reservations applying that word to them. Why should we get a pass now that we've failed at the same hurdle with the exact same home ground advantage?

No one is saying that Scott is anything other than a great coach or that the club hasn't been amazingly successful over the past two decades. But it's possible to believe both those things while still acknowledging that losing 6 out of your last 8 preliminary finals, including 2 out of your last 3 home preliminary finals, is worthy of criticism.
Are we seriously saying that because some dribbler on Bigfooty said it that is now the analytical standard?

Retire him along with Stanley , Rohan and the other two already announced Touhy & Hawkins.
Guthrie big talks needed . We need more youth & pace in the midfield . When Holmes went off it was left to Bowes and turning circle Atkins. Those c graders couldn’t get near it under the heat of Brisbane pressure.
So what do you propose Scott should have done in the coaches’ box after HOLMES went off? You’ve been at him all day…

Do people genuinely believe there was nothing the Scott or the Match Committee could have done last night to win us that game? That we had no strings to pull or ways we couldn't have given ourselves a better chance? Yes, the Holmes injury made things tough, but we're the Geelong Football Club, how many times over the years has Chris Scott manufactured against the odds wins for us in situations where things looked stacked against us? Did we apply a "oh well, not much the MC could have done here" to those games? Why be accepting of poor outcomes just because the positive outcome would have been difficult to accomplish?

If any other club had just lost a home preliminary final against an interstate team we'd be calling it a choke. When the situations were reversed in 2020 and we beat Brisbane at the Gabba during that Prelim, I remember people using that word to describe them. In fact, not just any "people". Posters on this forum. Supporters of this club. I doubt any Cats fans would have had any reservations applying that word to them. Why should we get a pass now that we've failed at the same hurdle with the exact same home ground advantage?

No one is saying that Scott is anything other than a great coach or that the club hasn't been amazingly successful over the past two decades. But it's possible to believe both those things while still acknowledging that losing 6 out of your last 8 preliminary finals, including 2 out of your last 3 home preliminary finals, is worthy of criticism.
It wasn’t a choke- they just played a bit better than us last night. Pretty simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we seriously saying that because some dribbler on Bigfooty said it that is now the analytical standard?

Literally everyone's reaction to that 2020 Prelim was to say that they Brisbane choked. The whole AFL media was saying it. I only narrowed it down to Cats fans on BigFooty to illustrate the double standard.

Again, I don't think it's a particularly controversial opinion to suggest that dropping a home prelim against an interstate side is an underperformance.

Last edited:
Literally everyone's reaction to that 2020 Prelim was to say that they Brisbane choked. The whole AFL media was saying it. I only narrowed it down to Cats fans on BigFooty to illustrate the fact that man
I just put 'Brisbane lions 2020 choked' into google. The seventh result was this thread - your post specifically - and nothing before then substantiated this. Weird if everyone was saying it!

Literally everyone's reaction to that 2020 Prelim was to say that they Brisbane choked. The whole AFL media was saying it. I only narrowed it down to Cats fans on BigFooty to illustrate the double standard.
I don’t think we choked, any more than against StKilda.

Every man and his dog knows that Geelong is weak through the centre and can be “gotten” through the corridor once the game opens up. Plus they had Lachie Neale and we didn’t.

Bingo.

It resulted in a bunch of Lions goals off the crumbs, as we failed to clear properly or have numbers for the ground balls.

Our small defenders, in a 1v1 defensive sense, were out reflexed and out read from a lot of chaos situations.

And this is where the luck, or lack of, comes in. Against Port (reminiscent of 22 GF) they couldn't take a trick, and we had every bounce, misskick, errant hand ball, freak goal, go our way.
I was going to cite luck in our pre game thread, but thought someone would say we make our own.
Something made me think it wouldn't go our way, this time- maybe Irish superstition. Yet that's how it went, everyone miss timing the contest, our smalls not near Bris fast hands, kicks/hand passes that didn't come off, as well as some "unlucky" decision making and umpiring. The epitome of BAD Luck.

flipping Stanley taking that shot.

Criminal nobody told him to hand it off.

Less than 30 sec to if he magically kicks it.

As mike and the mechanics used to sign all we need is a miracle..
Needed passed tenth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back