Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha. Every neutral is saying how good a final it was so I wanted to re-watch it as being at the ground it just looked like we were sloppy AF and didn't take our chances.

Your observation at the ground was bang on.
The first quarter we could have ripped their hearts from their chests if we only kicked straight. We lost it there and then.

I think that a lot of the key older guys left like danger and blicavs will hit the wall and im not sure the clark clohesy etc types are fully ready to step up and replace them and i worry about our ruck setup and our tall stocks generally.
But this could change depending on our trade and draft period.
I think older guys hitting the wall was a much bigger problem this year. This was the transition year and we still made a prelim.

Hawkins, rohan, touhy and even duncan all fell out of the starting side by the prelim.

Stanley only made it due to injury. We do have a young ruck option coming through that I think will be better next year than stanley.

Even though he had a good final series i kind of felt blicavs fell quite a bit this year too already. In any case we have dekonning as his defensive and second ruck replacement. A player i think next year offers more then blicavs certainly did this year. Possibly a lot more.

A decline in form from danger is the only older player im really worried about. But i think the likely improvement in our other young mids will more than compensate for it. Plus we may be trading in a gun mid on top. Im hopeful our midfield improves quite a bit next in fact. Holmes went up a level this year and at the very end of the season i think he even went up another level again. Mannagh likely improves further with another year in the system. As does dempsey, humphries etc. Im hopeful one of bruhn/clark can lift a level and contribute more next year. Neale also improved greatly in the latter part of the season. The trend in form is up here. Even ollie henry, who had an awful season, showed improved form late in the season. Get some kms into his legs over the pre season and he could also be a big surprise.

Cam guthrie may also be a surprise addition to the mids for one more season before he too ages out. But anything from him next year is an addition.

The risk is cameron and stewart start aging 1-2 years before we expect them too. But its unlikely without new injury problems.

Last edited:
I say this to my mates - it’s been very expensive to be a Geelong supporter over the past 20 years. So many expensive finals tickets. My Essendon and Carlton mates can’t relate and don’t show any sympathy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
And poor productivity. I struggled to focus at work last week thinking and reading about the Prelim etc. At lease life can go back to normal next week

Neale just gives Sav vibes, can't actually clunk a mark and doesnt really attack the footy and use his size, if he was any good hed have kicked 4 yesterday, ball was kicked to his advantage so often and half the time he went up largely uncontested and still dropped them.
Thee disposals Sav? Until yesterday Neale had kicked a goal in every game. Next year we can start to put the spotlight on him.

I think older guys hitting the wall was a much bigger problem this year. This was the transition year and we still made a prelim.

Hawkins, rohan, touhy and even duncan all fell out of the starting side by the prelim.

Stanley only made it due to injury. We do have a young ruck option coming through that I think will be better next year than stanley.

Even though he had a good final series i kind of felt blicavs fell quite a bit this year too already. In any case we have dekonning as his defensive and second ruck replacement. A player i think next year offers more then blicavs certainly did this year. Possibly a lot more.

A decline in form danger is the only older player im really worried about. But i think the likely improvement in our other young mids will more than compensate for it. Plus we may be trading in a gun mid on top. Im hopeful our midfield improves quite a bit next in fact. Holmes went up a level this year and at the very end of the season i think he even went up another level again. Mannagh likely improves further with another year in the system. As does dempsey, humphries etc. Im hopeful one of bruhn/clark can lift a level and contribute more next year. Neale also improved greatly in the latter part of the season. The trend in form is up here. Even ollie herny, who had an awful season, showed improved form late in the season. Get some kms into his legs over the pre season and he could also be a big surprise.
Stanley been ok since he came back in.
SDK would of offered more in and around second efforts pity he was injured.
And couldn't back in...

A decline in form danger is the only older player im really worried about. But i think the likely improvement in our other young mids will more than compensate for it. Plus we may be trading in a gun mid on top. Im hopeful our midfield improves quite a bit next in fact. Holmes went up a level this year and at the very end of the season i think he even went up another level again. Mannagh likely improves further with another year in the system. As does dempsey, humphries etc. Im hopeful one of bruhn/clark can lift a level and contribute more next year. Neale also improved greatly in the latter part of the season. The trend in form is up here. Even ollie henry, who had an awful season, showed improved form late in the season. Get some kms into his legs over the pre season and he could also be a big surprise.

Cam guthrie may also be a surprise addition to the mids for one more season before he too ages out. But anything from him next year is an addition.

The risk is cameron and stewart start aging 1-2 years before we expect them too. But its unlikely without new injury problems.

Im not sure. I have zero confidence conway wont be dawson simpson and if he is sdk will have to be the ruck and im not sure hes durable enough.
I like knevitt but im not sure him clark and clohesy will dominate afl from the get go.
Smith will be good but he wont fix everything.
I also think blitz will decline further and it will put more pressure in our tall stocks.
I do agree that mannagh and humphries etc will be better next year but im not sure its enough to cover the other structural issues. But time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale just gives Sav vibes, can't actually clunk a mark and doesnt really attack the footy and use his size, if he was any good hed have kicked 4 yesterday, ball was kicked to his advantage so often and half the time he went up largely uncontested and still dropped them.
He tried too many times just to knock it down which was clearly an instruction. Stengle foiled him at least twice as well flying for stuff he had no business doing.... I reckon he will be decent still

Sav’s best year he kicked 15.15 from 20 games, averaged 8.75 disposals and 2.65 marks a game.

This year Neale kicked 23.11 in 15 games, averaged 9.06 disposals and averaged 4.06 marks a game.

He’s also far more efficient with ball on hand than Sav was. It’s not a high bar, but he’s already better than Sav.

Nothing came off for him yesterday but he still presented and didn’t drop his head. Daniher and Hipwood weren’t much better than him.

His first real go at it, he’ll get better, way too early to write him off.

Neale clunked 9 marks, including 3 contested against Port - it may not have been his best return last night, but he's a vastly superior forward to Ratugolea

We need to remember that Neale has only played 20 senior games - let's see how he's going after 50 games... Thinking people won't be disappointed

Just me or did it have shades of 2004 prelim about it?

Quite an inexperienced finals team coming up against a strong lions side, and loosing by around 10 points.

Not necessarily a bad thing, we know what those younger players manage to do in 3-4 years time. So what’s next for us?
No-one knows .
After 2011 noone knew the next one was coming from.

It's interesting with all the discussion regarding the midfield and what it looks like next year in this thread that one name seems to be forgotten in a lot of it: Cam Guthrie.

At 32 he still could give us something, assuming he is over his injuries. Adding him back into the midfield along with Smith, and the natural evolution of guys like Bruhn and Holmes gives me some confidence we can address the obvious issues we have through there.

Haha. Every neutral is saying how good a final it was so I wanted to re-watch it as being at the ground it just looked like we were sloppy AF and didn't take our chances.
Yep my thoughts ep.s early on..
Even between those Glastonbury flags ..

It's interesting with all the discussion regarding the midfield and what it looks like next year in this thread that one name seems to be forgotten in a lot of it: Cam Guthrie.

At 32 he still could give us something, assuming he is over his injuries. Adding him back into the midfield along with Smith, and the natural evolution of guys like Bruhn and Holmes gives me some confidence we can address the obvious issues we have through there.
Danger can't play every game nor play heaps of mid time.
Less might be more from danger.

I bet you were dared by the rabid lot on the Tigers board to come onto the Cats board and post this crap? What a hero

I find it funny that Richmond are such a basket case they can't even pretend to be pretenders.

Yet here they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back