List clean out is urgently needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Three years out of the finals....No eagles coach would survive that

last year no finals ...this year no chance.......next year gone if we are not finals bound.. Eagles supporters are not patient and demand success so does the club . Three years with no finals ....yeah gone for me

Except the coach we had before Simmo? Worsfold went without finals from 2008 to 2010.

Three years out of the finals....No eagles coach would survive that

last year no finals ...this year no chance.......next year gone if we are not finals bound.. Eagles supporters are not patient and demand success so does the club . Three years with no finals ....yeah gone for me
I'm not saying what the board will or won't do (because they won't). I'm saying what they should have done.

Boards sack coaches too early in their tenure and then hang on to them too long after they have achieved success. Boards go with the obvious and easy decisions, and often they get it back to front.

He was Woosha though and was given every chance to turn things around probably due to being him.

Dont see Simpson given 3 years of non finals despite a flag
Especially not with the way we have got to this position. There was no drug crisis that Woosh could use to point to extenuating circumstances. Simmo had arguably his strongest squad for his tenure at the start of 2020 and mismanaged things terribly.

Especially not with the way we have got to this position. There was no drug crisis that Woosh could use to point to extenuating circumstances. Simmo had arguably his strongest squad for his tenure at the start of 2020 and mismanaged things terribly.

He was Woosha though and was given every chance to turn things around probably due to being him.

It’s not really the losses and missing finals it’s the manner of the losses. 10 goal and 100 point spankings have been far too regular. It points to a side giving up

I agree a list cleanout needs to be done,but the way we play is also very disturbing.
We have 2 of the best kicks in the backline Hurn & witherton but they can only bomb the ball because we clog up the exits.
Kennedy should stay in the goal square & Darling should be at centre half forward not both at centre half back.
Open the game up at least allow our backs to have a target instead of continually bombing it out of the backline.
One player we must keep is Tom Cole when he first came onto the scene he was hopeless but last year he was our best defender( just watch a few late games).
Our midfield could come good with a few games, but they are way too slow for any future success.
Forward line could be O/K with Willie Rioli, Oscar Allen, Liam Ryan but there's not much else up front.
Backs Tom Cole, Tom Barras, Brady Hough, Jeremy Mcgovern.

It’s not really the losses and missing finals it’s the manner of the losses. 10 goal and 100 point spankings have been far too regular. It points to a side giving up
Stats may prove me wrong but I recall that in our spoon season we fought out every game but usually faded in the last quarters. Pretty simple contested one on one footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last 2 and a half seasons have been wrecked by covid. That needs to be taken into consideration. All those calling for the club to fold or be burnt down, and the coach to be gillotined, need a dose of reasoning, some level-headedness.

The last 2 and a half seasons have been wrecked by covid. That needs to be taken into consideration. All those calling for the club to fold or be burnt down, and the coach to be gillotined, need a dose of reasoning, some level-headedness.
I agree that will be taken into account for this year and simmo will get a leave pass...But next year if we are in the exact situation out of the finals and playing poorly reckon he will get the flick for 2024

Certainly.

But the problems run deeper than that..

We've allowed the list to be filled with injury prone, highly paid over thirties that will never reach the heights they did a few years ago. A few good games, a solid season, but...
JK will never have another 80 goal season. In fact, a 40 goal season would be a success.
Shuey (when not injured) will never be the line breaking, dominating mid he was 5 years ago.
Hurn will not hit 8-10 50m passes onto the chest per game again. Ever. Even Once. Used to happen regularly.
NicNat will not terrorise opposition teams into submission and will never be a more than 60 and bit % game time player.
Gov will never have another run of form like he did in 2017-18.
Gaff may run all day but at a slower pace and with even less impact than previously. After being durable as hell he is now slower and injury vulnerable.

Every one of these guys are good players. But every one of them is 3-5 years past their best, are all injury prone and will NEVER reach the heights they did in say 2018.

These are list management issues. Not coaching or player ones.

Certainly.

But the problems run deeper than that..

We've allowed the list to be filled with injury prone, highly paid over thirties that will never reach the heights they did a few years ago. A few good games, a solid season, but...
JK will never have another 80 goal season. In fact, a 40 goal season would be a success.
Shuey (when not injured) will never be the line breaking, dominating mid he was 5 years ago.
Hurn will not hit 8-10 50m passes onto the chest per game again. Ever. Even Once. Used to happen regularly.
NicNat will not terrorise opposition teams into submission and will never be a more than 60 and bit % game time player.
Gov will never have another run of form like he did in 2017-18.
Gaff may run all day but at a slower pace and with even less impact than previously. After being durable as hell he is now slower and injury vulnerable.

Every one of these guys are good players. But every one of them is 3-5 years past their best, are all injury prone and will NEVER reach the heights they did in say 2018.

These are list management issues. Not coaching or player ones.

Fair on most of those but Gov is in some very good form and back to his best.

Lucky the other clubs avoided it - perhaps that why the all belt us

The club as an organisation has performed below par, well below par.

Depends on whether we are still clinging to flag mode or gone into a proper rebuild. Flag mode he'll be out. Rebuild he'll be out if we aren't seeing changes to the game plan and a younger team being put on the park.
The real world is that history has shown my intuition to be correct.
Saying Club Y won't win a flag with Coach X is like shooting fish in a barrel.

One of the main reasons the club has been good for so long is because we are very measured in our decision. We don't follow the whim's of supporters who act like hormone charged teenagers.

I read this article on AFL.com yesterday where they were interviewing Shuey and he threw in the standard expected line about players being responsible for performance. But then he would go on for another two paragraphs about how great Sydney are and how the turnover of players in our 22 makes it hard to get "synergy". You could tell from reading it the couple of lines he threw in about players being responsible for performing he was just saying that because he thought he had to. He spent most of his quotes blaming circumstances and things outside our control. He clearly thinks that the Covid situation is an excuse for everything and the players are not to blame for their own underperformance. Quite depressing reading. If thats what the Captain of the club is saying and thinking then that is probably the mentality of the entire playing list.

It feels like a big call to sack a coach who won a flag 4 years ago. And if we do we could easily end up with somebody worse. That being said, these problems with our players not being willing to tackle, chase and compete for loose balls and the whole general shitty attitude and malaise of the playing group have been there for 3 years now. And Simpson won't even acknowledge it. It has to be fixed and remedied and if Simpson hasn't even gotten to first base in dealing with after it has been going on for 3 years i am pretty convinced he is not capable of dealing with it and if he is left in charge the problem will continue. On balance i am leaning towards we would be better getting rid of Simpson.

No worries. Can i get my membership refunded for those two years??

Must have been a dream that teams that were far more displaced re covid than us were able to perform well.

Tim kelly is a good player but all our issues stem back to how much WCE paid for him.
3 1st round draft picks ridiculous

Tim kelly is a good player but all our issues stem back to how much WCE paid for him.
3 1st round draft picks ridiculous
Actually it was only 2. And they were late first round picks.

Using the draft points as a guide we valued Tim Kelly as basically worth the first pick in the draft. He hasn't lived up to that billing but it's not the huge disaster people make it out to be.

It's one of several things that is hurting as at the moment.

Actually it was only 2. And they were late first round picks.

Using the draft points as a guide we valued Tim Kelly as basically worth the first pick in the draft. He hasn't lived up to that billing but it's not the huge disaster people make it out to be.

It's one of several things that is hurting as at the moment.
As disappointing has he has been he is our best mid and has won us a few games. Our problems are a dodgy list selected, thats not largely up to AFL footy, that was selectedprior to Kellys arrival and the poor development. Our gameplan is an absolute dud, and a very predictable broken record, not Kellys doing.

I don't agree with posters who think Simpson is not coming under pressure from the club. I bet he is. Even though it appears from the outside to be not having much effect. But when you consider the uniqueness of our situation where ticket and membership prices are way higher than in the rest of the country and our overheads are higher than the Melbourne clubs because we have to carry the entire WA football system on our back financially, plus the whole dire economic aftermath of the Covid insanity that is upon us and will make it hard to make ends meet for average people, it is easily conceivable that weekly crowd numbers could dip to 10k. Nobody wants to pay $120 plus food and drink to go watch their team get belted by 10 goals on our home ground. The difference between crowds of 10k and crowds of 50k at $100 a pop or whatever is massive.

So i think the pressure will be right on him already behind closed doors to at least make the losses competitive and respectable. I also think the sacking of the assistants last year was a shot across Simpson's bow and was an indicator of unrest with club management with the direction things are going. Sacking all the assistants is what clubs do when they are extremely unhappy with the direction of the club and performance of the coaching panel but don't yet have the balls to sack the senior coach. So they sack the assistants instead so they can feel like and be seen to be doing something and sending a message to Simpson.

Remove this Banner Ad

List clean out is urgently needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back