List Mgmt. List management 2022-2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on our current list status:

We have 37 players- we can add 5 plus any Catagory Bs (ie Barkla)

These areas do not need any additions:

• Lead ruck
  • Second Ruck
  • Defenders under 195 cm
  • Inside mids
  • Outside mids/ Utilities

We need these future additions (with realistic draft options listed):

195cm + Defender: Hayes, Van Es, E. Phillips
Small Forward: Darcy Jones, Long, Mankara, Murley?
Big Tall Forward (a Dixon replacement)- Lemmey, Keeler, Scully

We also need immediate additions in these areas (with best options listed):

195cm + Defender: Walker? E.Phillips
Small Forward Depth: Evans

Plan A:

#33 Lemmey, Keeler or Scully
#60 E.Phillips, Hayes, Van Es
#80 Darcy Jones, Long, Murley

If we miss out on Phillips, get Walker as a DFA. If we get Phillips we open up a spot for Montgomery.
DFA- Evans

There will be an issue if D’Aloia is available at #33. Not a need but would be a great fit for a future midfield with JHF, Butters and Rozee.

What’s the go with Poulter? Reckon he’d be a solid pick up…
COLLINGWOOD has delisted two ex SA players, defender Jack Madgen and wingman Caleb Poulter.
Madgen may be of interest to us; Poulter less as we have a plethora of potential wingmen.
Ironically, living in the States, Cairns & Melbourne, not sure how strong Madgen's conncetion to SA is.

Madgen arrived at the Magpies as a Category B rookie in 2017 after previously playing basketball for the Cairns Taipans in the NBL, following a college basketball career at Delta State University.

The 29-year-old played 49 games across five seasons in black and white, adding nine appearances under Craig McRae in 2022. He would have played more senior football this year if it wasn't for some untimely injury setbacks. He dislocated his shoulder in May before undergoing surgery to repair a fractured thumb in July.

Poulter departs just two years after the Magpies selected him with pick No.30 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.
The 20-year-old played 11 games in his debut season but managed only one appearance this year, falling out of favour with Josh Daicos and Steele Sidebottom returning to form on the wing. He has attracted some interest in recent months, including from Gold Coast, and could earn a lifeline as a delisted free agent next month. The younger Poulter has a better chance of being pickup up as a DFA than Madgen.

Madgen has just been delisted by a club which is so hard up for KPDs it gave Billy Frampton a three year deal. Don't touch him with a ten foot pole.

My take on our current list status:

We have 37 players- we can add 5 plus any Catagory Bs (ie Barkla)

These areas do not need any additions:

• Lead ruck
  • Second Ruck
  • Defenders under 195 cm
  • Inside mids
  • Outside mids/ Utilities

We need these future additions (with realistic draft options listed):

195cm + Defender: Hayes, Van Es, E. Phillips
Small Forward: Darcy Jones, Long, Mankara, Murley?
Big Tall Forward (a Dixon replacement)- Lemmey, Keeler, Scully

We also need immediate additions in these areas (with best options listed):

195cm + Defender: Walker? E.Phillips
Small Forward Depth: Evans

Plan A:

#33 Lemmey, Keeler or Scully
#60 E.Phillips, Hayes, Van Es
#80 Darcy Jones, Long, Murley

If we miss out on Phillips, get Walker as a DFA. If we get Phillips we open up a spot for Montgomery.
DFA- Evans

There will be an issue if D’Aloia is available at #33. Not a need but would be a great fit for a future midfield with JHF, Butters and Rozee.
D’Aloia would appeal as a slider: the SA U18 Captain was one of the three SA players who made the 2022 NAB AFL U18 All-Australian team.
West Adelaide’s Harry Barnett, Woodville-West Torrens’ SA U18 Captain Adam D’Aloia and Norwood’s Max Michalanney.

Barnett 202cm, 92kg is ranked #26 (average of 21, , 30, 32) in the latest Top 40 Phantom Draft and could be groomed as a defender.

D’Aloia would appeal as a slider: the SA U18 Captain was one of the three SA players who made the 2022 NAB AFL U18 All-Australian team.
West Adelaide’s Harry Barnett, Woodville-West Torrens’ SA U18 Captain Adam D’Aloia and Norwood’s Max Michalanney.

Barnett 202cm, 92kg is ranked #26 (average of 21, , 30, 32) in the latest Top 40 Phantom Draft and could be groomed as a defender.
I don’t mind the idea of grooming a failed forward that’s had time in an AFL system. But to draft a 18yo kid & throw him in a position his never played could really hamper his development.

COLLINGWOOD has delisted two ex SA players, defender Jack Madgen and wingman Caleb Poulter.
Madgen may be of interest to us; Poulter less as we have a plethora of potential wingmen.
Ironically, living in the States, Cairns & Melbourne, not sure how strong Madgen's conncetion to SA is.

Madgen arrived at the Magpies as a Category B rookie in 2017 after previously playing basketball for the Cairns Taipans in the NBL, following a college basketball career at Delta State University.

The 29-year-old played 49 games across five seasons in black and white, adding nine appearances under Craig McRae in 2022. He would have played more senior football this year if it wasn't for some untimely injury setbacks. He dislocated his shoulder in May before undergoing surgery to repair a fractured thumb in July.

Poulter departs just two years after the Magpies selected him with pick No.30 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.
The 20-year-old played 11 games in his debut season but managed only one appearance this year, falling out of favour with Josh Daicos and Steele Sidebottom returning to form on the wing. He has attracted some interest in recent months, including from Gold Coast, and could earn a lifeline as a delisted free agent next month. The younger Poulter has a better chance of being pickup up as a DFA than Madgen.
I was surprised to see that Poulter is 194cm (Collingwood website). Maybe he could be developed into KF or KD or third tall with a bit more focus on his frame (only 84 kg at this stage). I suspect that he'll find a home somewhere. Adelaide should consider him.

I was surprised to see that Poulter is 194cm (Collingwood website). Maybe he could be developed into KF or KD or third tall with a bit more focus on his frame (only 84 kg at this stage). I suspect that he'll find a home somewhere. Adelaide should consider him.
They could of had him for big bad billy if they wanted him.

He ain't going to put on weight and be a KPF/3rd tall. He's a tall skinny kid for all his AFL career. Might be able to fatten him up for the ammos.

Bring back Jarrod Lienert!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cody Brand was delisted by essendon. Two years on the list. 196cm tall defender. Sounds like he is more of a stopper than rebounder. He fits our list
profile and sounds like he was unlucky to be discarded so soon.

Nah he's only a mid. Wafer thin.

I would take any of Brand, Walker, Stein, or Magden as insurance if we can't find an answer in the draft. Obviously if they've been delisted, they have obvious deficiencies. We'd only need them to come in and play a role when injuries strike. It's not always gonna work ala Skinner but you gotta throw some darts out and hope something sticks. Not taking a risk gets us nowhere

I think our 'problem' with tall backs is way overplayed on this board and in the media. There's so much more to defending than height. Sure, some high quality tall forwards get hold of us from time to time - they're high quality players, of course they get hold of teams. It's not like we regularly have spuds kick bags of goals on us. I actually think our small defenders are a far bigger problem. It was really refreshing to see Burgoyne come in late in the season and actually show some defensive qualities that are sorely lacking in our other small backs.

I think our 'problem' with tall backs is way overplayed on this board and in the media. There's so much more to defending than height. Sure, some high quality tall forwards get hold of us from time to time - they're high quality players, of course they get hold of teams. It's not like we regularly have spuds kick bags of goals on us.
But even so, we have 4 regular key defenders on the list rotating through 3 spots and they're all 29+ next season (Aliir slightly younger getting there at the end of the season). We need to be planning for their replacements - and it's entirely possible the end comes for 1 or 2 of them before next season is out.

I think our 'problem' with tall backs is way overplayed on this board and in the media. There's so much more to defending than height. Sure, some high quality tall forwards get hold of us from time to time - they're high quality players, of course they get hold of teams. It's not like we regularly have spuds kick bags of goals on us. I actually think our small defenders are a far bigger problem. It was really refreshing to see Burgoyne come in late in the season and actually show some defensive qualities that are sorely lacking in our other small backs.

Yes and no.

People aren’t exaggerating our problems with our personnel. They’re real, but hinkleys gameplan will protect our backs MOST of the time by having numbers between the arcs makes it hard for teams to navigate it through there and get inside 50.

But when teams can move the ball through ball use, or just consistently win clearances and use the ball cleanly our backs get exposed like all hell. They’re just outgunned when forced to play 1 on 1 against the bigger blokes.

Next year we will roll out the same players and the same plan and it will serve us well enough, until we come up against the better teams and then it won’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back