List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

You give them time to develop behind him, be mentored etc.

We don't need someone ready to go from day one, but we need someone ready to step up when the time comes.

There's no point kicking the can down the road.

Francous kid in 4 years time 🤔

Francous kid in 4 years time 🤔

Oliver Francou this year is a centre square mid, but he's in the Joe Atley/Hugh Jackson bracket of potential.

I can't recall the last genuine high pick centre square mid we've drafted since Ollie Wines.

Parker loves a high production flanker and we do try to turn them into mids, even now we're playing Lorenz in the centre square in the sanfl.

You give them time to develop behind him, be mentored etc.

We don't need someone ready to go from day one, but we need someone ready to step up when the time comes.

There's no point kicking the can down the road.

I agree with that rationale - but I'm not sure that would mean it should be priority number one of the off-season and the position the list management team use its greatest resources to tick off.

I would imagine a goal kicking small forward will be high up on the shopping list via the draft. Can't live on the likes of Frankie Evans, McEntee and Narkle next year - and SPP is a complete unknown given he'll be coming off an ACL.

I agree with that rationale - but I'm not sure that would mean it should be priority number one of the off-season and the position the list management team use its greatest resources to tick off.

I would imagine a goal kicking small forward will be high up on the shopping list via the draft. Can't live on the likes of Frankie Evans, McEntee and Narkle next year - and SPP is a complete unknown given he'll be coming off an ACL.

I haven't paid attention to early draft picks this year because we have no early picks, so I was resigned to the father-son selections, maybe with a second round pick.

If the Houston rumour has legs that changes, but I don't know of any Pickett/Rachele type gun small forwards in this draft pool. You would think Sid Draper would be a high priority if the cards fell that way.

We definitely need a quality small forward, although I would like to see Anastasopoulos and Charleson after a second pre-season, hopefully with access to weights ;). Also GWS have traded well in that area at not great expense.

We'll certainly have plenty of young half back flankers after this draft :cool:

PS, I would have played Hugh Jackson by now instead of Evans or Narkle but I can't see that happening now this late in the season.

Would Lemmey at Carlton be a consideration? Same draft as Scully, initially a highly rated SA jnr but dropped away through his draft year, he’s stuck behind Curnow & McKay. Not sure how he’s developing.

I don't think you can have enough elite midfielders and you should burn early picks on them along with key position forwards.

I definitely agree that we need to be looking at replacing Wines in the future and if Sid Draper or whatever midfielder is there with the possible pick from the Houston trade, then you do it. You could play Draper forward to start his career, no doubt.

But yes, at the moment, our primary need is another small forward. If we got Kosi for Houston and whatever, our medium forwards would be Pickett, Rioli and Powell-Pepper and those three brothers would have a field day and be super exciting to watch.

Add in Georgiades and Marshall and we are looking the goods.

But yeah, we need a couple of small forwards, no doubt. Maybe they can come from within like Tommy A or maybe its Beenay or Choppy Jr.

I guess a hypothetical could be:

Adelaide trade their first rounder to Melbourne for Oliver

Melbourne trade Adelaide's first rounder to us for Houston

Would you

a) Keep the first rounder to draft Draper
b) Trade the first rounder back to Adelaide for Rachele

(It's just a hypothetical, so assume all the dominoes could fall this way)

a) or b) ?

Would you

a) or b) ?
Rachele?

Would you

a) or b) ?
Adelaide’s pick will be around that pick 4-5 mark. That’s a decent return on Houston - what was he, pick 45 in a rookie draft to a high first round pick?

If hypothetically, this happens, I would draft Draper. Could you imagine what the Adelaide media would do to Rachele?

This is hypothetical though…. Houston is staying. Clearly in the “untouchable” category on the list.

Would you

a) or b) ?
I would grab Draper or Smilie.

Would you

a) or b) ?
Definitely wouldn't want Rachele he screams Wingard 2.0. Too worried about how he looks than do the hard work for the team.

We need to plan for a genuinely good big-bodied mid behind Ollie Wines. We don't have another midfielder like him who plants his body over the ball and feeds it out to the star ball movers.

Ollie has been huge the past couple of weeks, he disrupted Carlton's midfield with his strength and tackling, 10 clearances and 10 tackles last night.

If we get an early draft pick through trading, that player type has to be our #1 target because we have no one else like that.
Francou

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We know very little about him, as I said in a previous post he's maybe at a Hugh Jackson/Joe Atley level. He might be alright, he might not. No one is pouncing on him early.

Wines was a pick 7 who was a very good chance of being a top shelf mid and became one.

PS, I would have played Hugh Jackson by now instead of Evans or Narkle but I can't see that happening now this late in the season.
Yep, Evans is not giving us anything Narkle wouldn't, experience and exposure to Jackson and Lorenz probably provides greater reward that playing these two (Narkle and Evans)
Would Lemmey at Carlton be a consideration? Same draft as Scully, initially a highly rated SA jnr but dropped away through his draft year, he’s stuck behind Curnow & McKay. Not sure how he’s developing.
Lemmy has played some CHB throughout the year, Kicked a few goals and had some statistically good games this year. Moir seems to be tracking well there also.

Would you

a) or b) ?
A

Would you

a) or b) ?

Draper if there.

If not then the best mid that is.

Adelaide’s pick will be around that pick 4-5 mark. That’s a decent return on Houston - what was he, pick 45 in a rookie draft to a high first round pick?

If hypothetically, this happens, I would draft Draper. Could you imagine what the Adelaide media would do to Rachele?

This is hypothetical though…. Houston is staying. Clearly in the “untouchable” category on the list.
What would the Adelaide media do to Rachele?

I'm still hearing Houston leave is just Vic B.S.
And if he did decide to leave the club would be talking to all Vic team for the best offer not just the Demons

Get ready for an unpopular opinion.

Losing Houston and getting Pickett as a direct swap doesn't make us better.

While keeping Houston and losing Hinkley does make us better.

Not in a vacuum. But I think if you can get Perryman as a free agent, the collective of Perryman, Pickett and change brings more balance to the team as a collective.

I'm still hearing Houston leave is just Vic B.S.
And if he did decide to leave the club would be talking to all Vic team for the best offer not just the Demons

I feel like we have this conversation every year.

Contracted or uncontacted, if a player wants to leave, they can dictate where they go because players cannot be traded to a team against their will.

Not in a vacuum. But I think if you can get Perryman as a free agent, the collective of Perryman, Pickett and change brings more balance to the team as a collective.

Exactly.

Would you rather Perryman or Williams at half back with Pickett in the forward line or Houston at half back with Evans or Narkle in the forward line?

Pretty easy decision for mine.

We need to plan for a genuinely good big-bodied mid behind Ollie Wines. We don't have another midfielder like him who plants his body over the ball and feeds it out to the star ball movers.

Ollie has been huge the past couple of weeks, he disrupted Carlton's midfield with his strength and tackling, 10 clearances and 10 tackles last night.

If we get an early draft pick through trading, that player type has to be our #1 target because we have no one else like that.
It's a left field idea and one that perhaps requires him to improve his fitness. But Lachie Jones has the size to become the replacement for Wines long term. He's still relatively young. And he already has the frame for it and I think the contested work would suit him more than the HB role

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back