List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that ludicrous? Why don’t you explain your view of the intent of the father son rule and how 100 games is a good measure of achievement of that objective.
Any criteria is going to be arbitrary mate. Can't just advocate flags as one because it works out better for us.

Any criteria is going to be arbitrary mate. Can't just advocate flags as one because it works out better for us.
I’m not being biased here, criteria isn’t arbitrary if you understand what you are trying to achieve. Surely the Father son rule is to create the possibility for a family legacy to continue through generations for players who are significant contributors to a club. You can disagree with my suggestions on which criteria to add and that’s fine. I’m just saying 100 games is too narrow and needs to be expanded. It’s not like that’s going to open the floodgates to a million new father sons it would just be more in keeping with the spirit and the intent of the rule as I understand it to have been.

That was a poor decision of the club / medical staff to let him play that match, he wasn't even close to being fit.

Agree though that when fit Gunners is still a really, really good footballer and would love to see him go around for another two years. I actually feel that with just a pinch of luck we might have seen the worst of his injuries and he could be in for a very solid couple of years.

If you take out the 2 games against Richmond and Collingwood in which Gunston shouldn’t have played, that’s 45 scoring shots from 12 games. I don’t see why he can’t squeeze out another two years if he wants to play on.

Worpels position in the team is the worry for mine, midfield and team balance is rapidly improving and allowing other players to go past him while he is out.

If we don’t find any trade could see whoever we bring in next draft and following draft going past him quickly.

You hope that by then someone at the afl is employed with a brain that understands the rule was to continue the family legacy at the same club for those who achieved at that club and 100 games as an arbitrary measurement of achievement is about the dumbest thing ever seen. Except the ruck nomination rule of course. How premierships medals etc aren’t criteria is absolutely baffling imagine our midfield with Noah Anderson. That’s shameful.

AFLW is 1 game for mother or father. AFL is 100 games for father.

Just baffling they didnt bother trying to have some common ground. They want us to believe the comps are the same.

Worpels position in the team is the worry for mine, midfield and team balance is rapidly improving and allowing other players to go past him while he is out.

If we don’t find any trade could see whoever we bring in next draft and following draft going past him quickly.

Big question marks over the guy. Shown very little for a few seasons now.

Jai, Moore, Finn, nash, Ward all young guys who are now probably ahead of him in pecking order. McDonald maybe next year, plus potential draftees and any senior guys (JOM, Mitchell etc).

Going to need a massive preseason to get back into the 22 or will be the depth mid that shiels/howe/Phillips are this year.

Never thought I'd be saying this two years ago, or even last year - but I'd much prefer Nash in the side currently.

Ward is developing quickly, and we will surely be looking at moving MacDonald into the midfield rotation next season, to go along with Newcombe, Nash, Moore, Finn and either one or both of JOM and Mitchell.

We don't have much room for a midfielder who is a poor kick, can only play one specific role, and isn't quick.

The club’s handling of Hartigan is interesting. Doesn’t play for either Hawthorn or Box Hill. He has been our AFL runner some weeks recently. Assume agreement has already been made that he will retire with a year left on his contract.
He should win best club man this year. Anytime there has been a clash with Box Hill he has volunteered to be the match day emergency meaning a younger player doesn’t miss a week of VFL.

Worpel will either take Tom’s position in the event of a trade (depending on who we draft in of course and how ready they are for senior footy) or would be fighting for a spot at Box Hill based on his efforts the past couple years.

AFLW is 1 game for mother or father. AFL is 100 games for father.

Just baffling they didnt bother trying to have some common ground. They want us to believe the comps are the same.

They want us to believe? FFS.

Answers don't come much more dense than this. This is thick like canned dog food.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club’s handling of Hartigan is interesting. Doesn’t play for either Hawthorn or Box Hill. He has been our AFL runner some weeks recently. Assume agreement has already been made that he will retire with a year left on his contract.
It works for both parties harts has been carrying his knee issues this whole season. He has been great for our young defenders especially blanc. I think he is done but he is doing everything he is asked to do. He shows up to training and spends most of his time with the youngens.

Worpel will either take Tom’s position in the event of a trade (depending on who we draft in of course and how ready they are for senior footy) or would be fighting for a spot at Box Hill based on his efforts the past couple years.
I think it’s up to Worps at this point. He definitely worked hard to put on muscle over the summer. But he got way too big and couldn’t run.

It’s up to him to get super fit now. His absolute best would have him as our best mid. His worst has him hard pressed to get a game at the VFL.

Will be 24 next year. So he is still fairly young. But wouldn’t to put in a repeat of this year.

Last edited:
I think the key thing Mitchell wants is versatility just like the sides he played in. He also wants fast, attacking, risk taking footy meaning the players ideally should be high skilled. Right now the only player who does not offer all this and doesn’t play key forward, back or ruck is Tom Mitchell.

The way I see the team shaping is they want one bull/in & under player. Right now it’s Titch but wouldn’t be surprised if he is trade bait because he doesn’t offer any pace or corridor kicking. Was my favourite player 4 years ago but ge was perfect for that footy we played under Clarko but maybe not for Sam. I think Worpel can replace Titch but I also feel it can be JOM. Regardless it’s a big year for Worpel because for a long time he was our only young mid and therefore got so many chances for a player whose last 3 years have been pretty poor. Right now there’s so many youngsters who are earning mid minutes and offer versatility e.g Nash, Moore, McDonald that Worpel needs to rise to the level or he will be left behind. Can go either way

Great to see Jackson Callow and Josh Saunders playing well at Box Hill hopefully that helps them both get another contract!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He should win best club man this year. Anytime there has been a clash with Box Hill he has volunteered to be the match day emergency meaning a younger player doesn’t miss a week of VFL.
Has he got a gig lined up as an assistant with us? Has been seen on the bench talking to the youngsters at Box Hill during the year.

Am I the only one more excited by the prospect of a fit Worpel + an extra draft pick than Tom Mitchell and Worpel both on the list together next season?

This isn't a personal attack at Tom Mitchell. Purely from a list management perspective with the age demographic of our list and players strengths and weaknesses taken into account.

Worps on his good days has a burst away from the contest and the ability to crack in hard when the game is hot. At this point in our rebuild I value that more than a midfielder who can accumulate at will. Age is a consideration here too.

Last edited:
What does that actually mean? He’s not going to get a free ride at selection.
Committed to helping him recapture his best and improve on that, rather than push out of the club in trade.

It's a two way street. Worpel needs to continue working towards that too. It's not a promise to be gifted games.

Would like to see Worps shed a few kilos in the offseason. Was much leaner, quicker and more agile in his B&F year. Tried to bulk him up too quickly and he has lost that turn of speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back