Lonergan Signs 2 year deal with Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Lonergan may be out the door

Don't forget a few of his early pre-injury games were in defence,where he looked to be doing nicely.He's a handy back up to have at either end.

Yes, you've got it, and I think he plays well at HF and up the ground too. He'll be very handy in '09.

I think this might be the point other clubs are seeing as well. I'd be surprised if Tom hasnt been offered a good bit more somewhere else.

Yes, his versatility is a big factor in his game. This might sound odd, but I sometimes think he's the best replacement for Milburn's position when he retires.

He's only played 23 or 24 games. He's kicked over 40 goals in those games, and he's been a good competitor. As I've already said once before, you can't expect much more out of a 23 gamer.

Hawkins is not much better, actually. He's only played 15 games and kicked 24 goals. He's not the answer either, if you guys are the judges.

Gamble has done even less. He's only played 12 games for 19 goals.

You people are just being fair-weather supporters. Developing players takes time, and you guys are just lynching the future forward line of the club because none of them are superstars. You panic merchants may have to just face the fact that we only lost two games all year and we don't need to cull our players especially when they are still developing.

The future is Lonergan, Hawkins and Gamble, and obviously others will come into the equation. Develop them and we'll be ok.

It's all well and good to have an opinion, but when you start all of this crap, it's a bit hard for me to swallow. How would you know what I, let alone everyone else you are labelling, are actually thinking?

Tom Lonergan is a 25yo by start of next season. That's hardly developing. And yes, I know he had time off, and that the man has more courage than just about anyone playing AFL, but he is 25. He played this year about as good as he will ever be.

Before his injury, he was almost a certainty of not being offered a new contract or moved on. He was well down the pecking order, even behind Lord Henry.

As for the whining and hysteria about me criticising Prismall - that is my opinion, and so far I have an amazing track record of picking the duds. Notable selections include Rahilly, Foster, Varcoe, Byrnes, Baldwin & McCarthy.

I have seen very little from him in the reserves or seniors to suggest he should remain at our club, or that he could push Ablett, Corey, Bartel, Ling, Selwood, Chapman or Stokes for time in the midfield rotation.

Hogan, Djerkurra, Gamble et al have FAR more upside than Prismall.

Any of those could develop to be that crucial 6th member of our forward line that Byrnes & Varcoe missed the opportunity to claim this year.

BG, I can't agree that Varcoe is a dud. He had a bad GF, but he had a lot of mates. How about his game the week before?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, um, who made you boss?

That goes for just about everybody in here, unless of course they're actually involved with the club in some official capacity which I seriously doubt many in here are, the drivel that's posted pro or against a particular player is mostly irrelevant shit. But is sure is funny seeing how some delusional supporters posters think their opinions matter, to the point of getting so worked up and emotionally distressed merely for disagreeing on the merits of certain players in our list that they question your committent (or lack thereof) to the club i.e. fairweather, bandwagoner etc... crap that is repeated ad nauseam. :rolleyes: That's why I keep coming back, it's hilarious. :D

Is it a case of the Cats off loading Lonergan, or is he being realistic and appreciating the fact he is NOT the answer up forward?

In 2009 we have to persevere with Tomahawk and Gamble, with Ottens a back-up as required.

Couldn't agree more. These two are the focus for the next few years without a doubt. I just hope that they take it ball the balls and make something of it, make it their own!

As for Lonergan, it would be a shame to see him go, but in the reality of football, he's never going to be a gun forward and thats what we need. Maybe keep him on if he's happy to be a fill in or maybe even play down the ground more, but I dont see that happening with who's already there. Or maybe he can be a back-up to replace Milburn in time. He started as a backman and who knows, possibly thats where he's a natural fit?

Either way, best of luck to him whatever may come...

BG, I can't agree that Varcoe is a dud. He had a bad GF, but he had a lot of mates. How about his game the week before?

Yeah i support BG on this one. The week before he was slipping over people after the ball was gone 5 seconds ago, i didn't think it was that good a game. He may have done some nice things, but stokes, goes in hard, can mark well for a small bloke and that's my biggest problem with him, he's soft. He's there to chase people down and pick up the crumbs, which I don't think he does that good anyway.

Others deserve his spot more, he's a passenger, if geelong were not winning, i think he'd look very bad!

As for the whining and hysteria about me criticising Prismall - that is my opinion, and so far I have an amazing track record of picking the duds. Notable selections include Rahilly, Foster, Varcoe, Byrnes, Baldwin & McCarthy.

See my other post above, petal. Grab yourself a hot water bottle.

Sorry? I must have missed the whining and hysteria, was it in a different thread? All I said was that his post was better researched and more rational then what I'd seen from you regarding Prismall, that still stands. All you did was post your opinion. All you've done for the Lonergan discussion is post your opinion. On what are you basing your call that at 25 he can't improve? I hope it's more than your amazing track record :rolleyes:

Sorry? I must have missed the whining and hysteria, was it in a different thread? All I said was that his post was better researched and more rational then what I'd seen from you regarding Prismall, that still stands. All you did was post your opinion. All you've done for the Lonergan discussion is post your opinion. On what are you basing your call that at 25 he can't improve? I hope it's more than your amazing track record :rolleyes:

You didn't get the hot water bottle, did you? Go have a cup of lavendar tea and take a deep breath. It will help you a lot.

Prismall & Lonergan - both heavily overrated, by this board in particular. To the point where people call Prismall & Lonergan 'guns' for playing at Geelong.

If they miss out, they are still 'guns'. If they play, they are 'guns'

BUT, if it's Joel Selwood or Joel Corey, we somehow 'carry' them.

This has been perpetuated by the media and football fans.

Do you honestly believe that had Nathan played this year, Lonergan would have got a game? Even one?

I still think they would have played Harry in the backline ahead of him.

When he plays in the backline, he is stop/start, runs under the ball, gets outbodied, has poor disposal under pressure and is sluggish on the lead. At times he can make LRT look like Matthew Scarlett.

He IS courageous. He DOES try his best. He contributes as much as he can. He works HARD. But I just don't believe his best is good enough. FWIW, I always thought Henry was far better than Domsy.

And I've seen more in ONE QUARTER from Ry Gamble to suggest he is better than both of them, and will be a far better player over the journey. He just has 'it'.

Hi Y'all

i think geelong needs a power forward, who is consistent in kicking goals, we were expose on grand final day. Longergan is average goal.

Maybe Ottens need to be a permament forward, and get a ruckmen in the draft/trade to support Blake

Just my 2 cents worth
2006 anyone?

Sorry if already mentioned

Word I have from a very good source that Lonergan has been offered a very inadequate contract and is the best indication yet that we are looking to trade him or force him to look elsewhere.

very shattering for the young bloke.
had a decent year, fillen in nathan abletts spot nicely.

You didn't get the hot water bottle, did you? Go have a cup of lavendar tea and take a deep breath. It will help you a lot.

Prismall & Lonergan - both heavily overrated, by this board in particular. To the point where people call Prismall & Lonergan 'guns' for playing at Geelong.

If they miss out, they are still 'guns'. If they play, they are 'guns'

BUT, if it's Joel Selwood or Joel Corey, we somehow 'carry' them.

This has been perpetuated by the media and football fans.

Do you honestly believe that had Nathan played this year, Lonergan would have got a game? Even one?

I still think they would have played Harry in the backline ahead of him.

When he plays in the backline, he is stop/start, runs under the ball, gets outbodied, has poor disposal under pressure and is sluggish on the lead. At times he can make LRT look like Matthew Scarlett.

He IS courageous. He DOES try his best. He contributes as much as he can. He works HARD. But I just don't believe his best is good enough. FWIW, I always thought Henry was far better than Domsy.

And I've seen more in ONE QUARTER from Ry Gamble to suggest he is better than both of them, and will be a far better player over the journey. He just has 'it'.

Can’t recall anyone saying either are ‘guns’. Lonners is serviceable. With Prisa, most of us have said he’s shown a lot during is limited senior exposure and is well worth persevering with as his best is yet to come. The fact that 4 clubs are said to have expressed interest in a player they probably won’t get the best out of until 2010 through injury says volumes.

As for Lonners, he’s not the answer up forward. If we could get a decent deal for him I’d go for it. Somehow I doubt the interest would be great though.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy? Thomas Jefferson

It's all well and good to have an opinion, but when you start all of this crap, it's a bit hard for me to swallow. How would you know what I, let alone everyone else you are labelling, are actually thinking?

I don't pretend to be a mind reader, so no, I don't know what you're thinking, only what you write. So, if your thoughts aren't coming across the way you think they should be, don't blame the listener if you think he's got you all wrong.

Tom Lonergan is a 25yo by start of next season. That's hardly developing. And yes, I know he had time off, and that the man has more courage than just about anyone playing AFL, but he is 25. He played this year about as good as he will ever be.

I think he's got plenty of room for improvement, and like I said, perhaps he will end up in defence or elsewhere like a utility. I don't think there's sufficient grounds to declare his development as having already peaked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lonergan Signs 2 year deal with Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back