Lonergan Signs 2 year deal with Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Lonergan may be out the door

Any chance if we manage to get 2 picks in the top 25 we could land 2 of them? That would be nice :D

Prismall is our hope there.

Tom's courage has been repaid by the club He has a VFL premiership & BOG and played in an AFL GF. I don't think the club owes him anything in regards to his injury. I agree that while he is a servicable forward he is not a match winner at AFL level. VFL level he is, but not at AFL level. That is not to say his performance this year was average, it was terrific. But he is no power forward and that is what we need. We all know Hawkins is being groomed for that job. So should he be traded? If that is what Lonners wants and the club wants then I don't see why not. He should cash in on his 08 season before he is relegated back to the VFL by Hawkins or Gamble. Again I am not being harsh on him but I think this is a great chance for him to go to another club and establish better career opportunities.

Having said that if he decides to stay then good for him to and he is a welcome addition to our depth.

I had him in my dream team at the start of the year, in the expectation he'd replace Egan. I was fairly astounded when he popped up in the forward line. To be fair to him, I've seen him as a bloke who could be a quality backman who by stroke of accident ended up as a key forward. I think he could potentially still play a role in the backline but really it depends what the future holds with regards to the current backline - remembering Harley and Milburn will both probably be gone by the end of next season or (at latest) the season after.

Hope he stays and I think he will no doubts in my mind that he will be traded after his kidney and all. If and thta is a huge if he did leave what could we get for him do you reckon

See ya Tom, take Byrnes and Varcoe with you.

A re-jig of our forward line wouldn't be the worst thing

Varcoe. Wow! :eek:
Don't rate him?
Imagine he'd attract a heap on interest if he was actually on the market.

if any club gave us a half eaten cheeseburger for lonergan and byrnes i would be over the moon!

yes lonergan has had it tougher than most, but at the end of the day, he is only POSSIBLY going to perform against weak opposition. get him out. and as for byrnes, i dont see the point of having a bloke on your team who seems obsessed with giving the ball to the opposition all the time!!!!!!!!

Don't rate him?

Possibly, but if I was coming from another club I wouldnt take him. I thnk anyone familiar with him or havning watched a lot of him would realise he is no good. I called for us to trade him last year and got shot down, but I dont see a whole lot of upside even though he is young

If I was a rival club I would take Byrnes over Varcoe, seriously

Possibly, but if I was coming from another club I wouldnt take him. I thnk anyone familiar with him or havning watched a lot of him would realise he is no good. I called for us to trade him last year and got shot down, but I dont see a whole lot of upside even though he is young

If I was a rival club I would take Byrnes over Varcoe, seriously

Have to disagree with that. Byrnes is a calamity, I still think Varcoe will be good.

Don't rate him?

Not all of us want to see the back of Varcoe.

No doubt he needs to improve dramatically - specifically he needs to develop a taste for the contest instead of being an A-grade squib - but I for one am not prepared to give up on him yet.

what forward line? if memory serves me correct we didnt have one in the granny, im with a few others, re-jig that area cause its for the tip!

what forward line? if memory serves me correct we didnt have one in the granny, im with a few others, re-jig that area cause its for the tip!

Yeah it didnt function in one game, lets completely overhaul it....didnt work in the 45 ish games before that either...:confused:

it didnt cause we had midfield kicking goals, just frustrates me that longergan cant hold a mark and mooney cant kick, and varcoe runs in circles, and chappy and stokes r injured. sigh:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it didnt function in one game, lets completely overhaul it....didnt work in the 45 ish games before that either...:confused:

it felt as though we were only just masking the problem all year.

In which game out of the 23 wins? :confused:

hbk_aus, it didn't function in the prelim either. In my opinion, Geelong won several games in 2008 purely on weight of inside 50s and clearances... the prelim is a perfect example. In terms of the actual conversion of inside 50s to goals, I think you'd find Geelong would be in the bottom half of the ladder. Hawthorn were number 1 in this category in 2008, and didn't they show us up accordingly in the Grand Final?

hbk_aus, it didn't function in the prelim either. In my opinion, Geelong won several games in 2008 purely on weight of inside 50s and clearances... the prelim is a perfect example. In terms of the actual conversion of inside 50s to goals, I think you'd find Geelong would be in the bottom half of the ladder. Hawthorn were number 1 in this category in 2008, and didn't they show us up accordingly in the Grand Final?

None of the stats matter if your midfielders/defenders are kicking goals. Bartel, Ling - even Selwood and Enright - are regular goalkickers and none of them troubled the scorers on grand final day. Add Stokes' inability to run and Chapman's obvious reluctance to run or kick at full capacity and that says it all.

They showed us up in a lot of areas. I agree that it would be our weakest link, yes. But for the majority of the year it worked quite well. In the finals we had Mooney, Johnson, Stokes and Chapman who were all either injured or down on form, which doesnt help your forward line function very well.

Add to that the delivery into the forward line, especially in the GF, was deplorable.
However i do agree that Lonergan is replaceable. I just dont agree with overhauling the whole thing.

nar we gotta keep lonergan

we can use him when we play against the likes of melbourne, west coast and freo.

u know at least his abilities are suited against those teams

They showed us up in a lot of areas. I agree that it would be our weakest link, yes. But for the majority of the year it worked quite well. In the finals we had Mooney, Johnson, Stokes and Chapman who were all either injured or down on form, which doesnt help your forward line function very well.

Add to that the delivery into the forward line, especially in the GF, was deplorable.

Disagree. I thought Ling, Ablett, Selwood all gave good delivery. Bad delivery was usually by other forwards...Mooney, Chapman etc..The forwards themselves were largely to blame for the loss.

Disagree. I thought Ling, Ablett, Selwood all gave good delivery. Bad delivery was usually by other forwards...Mooney, Chapman etc..The forwards themselves were largely to blame for the loss.

Nah cant agree there - disposal into the forward 50, whether they were from Back, Midfields or Forward players were shocking - add to that our coaching staff's inability to work around Hodge, but thats another story. :D

$$$$ seems to be the issue with Lonergan's contract, so I don't see how delisting/redrafting him would help the situation.

Latest reports suggest we're still in talks with Lovett and although he'd have to take a pay cut to get here, it would certainly mean there would be no extra dollars to throw Lonergan's way.

Realistically he's not in our best 22 going forward and we'd only be keen to keep him as a depth player, so I wouldn't be shattered if he decided to go elsewhere.

If we re-drafted him, wouldn't that reduce his payments?
Ie. If we take him as a 3rd or 4th round pick wouldn't we only have to pay the going rate for a 3/4 round wage? Or does that not apply as he has played AFL?
I don't think he is our best 22 but a very handy fringe player fwd or back if we get injuries, deserves to be paid peanuts though.

If we re-drafted him, wouldn't that reduce his payments?
Ie. If we take him as a 3rd or 4th round pick wouldn't we only have to pay the going rate for a 3/4 round wage? Or does that not apply as he has played AFL?
I don't think he is our best 22 but a very handy fringe player fwd or back if we get injuries, deserves to be paid peanuts though.

Picks dont determine your salary. What he wants now is what he will want then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lonergan Signs 2 year deal with Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back