Mackay shines as Crows return - 4/1/2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly I thought Stabby said "Basically it's a run where you have to sprint full pelt on one leg". Then thought no wonder the knee injuries.

training at uni grounds seemed to have moved to university oval - across the footbridge from the back of adelaide uni or across the road from the women's and children's hospital.
surface is superb there.
there's a grandstand for good viewing and has some of the most picturesque surrounds for footer within the metropolitan area.

What exactly is the goodwin run? A beep test type drill?

The Goodwin run is as follows:

- Rectangle of 75m by 35m
- You get 15 secs to finish each side

So as others have stated it is run jog run jog. My lad does it with his club and says it is very hard as they also do theirs like the crows with a 5 min break after the 3km time trial. Pain, pain, pain

http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/234159

Video.

Someone was yelling for Dougie to push, he was rooted.

And yeah, Sellar IS huge, has the frame to keep adding as well.

Knights looks in amazing condition and it's good to see him up the 3km area.

Thomo is underated.

If somone could put that bigpond video footage on youtube if they can get it to stream properly. Facebook video works fine but does not include the goodwin run footage. No wonder crows are now using facebook to also host video, just have to put it all on facebook.

Obviously coaching staff are realy pushing Dougie. Real effort to improve his times and endurance. From video and photos Riely is pacing Dougie, also Birdman is pacing Knights, looks like Sloane and goodwin also pacing.

Schwerdt said Thomo did a P.B. 10:03 is fantastic.

Cant get over Walkers time looks like he came in ahead of Danger and Vince. If he applies his natural endurance to his game and works over his defender it could become a weapon for him. Now just has to work on his speed in sprints.

Good to see Danger having a good pre-season, and Sloane has obviously already achieved his goal

Sorry I didn't see this post before I posted a tiny report on the "Douglas / Armstrong thread!

Walker's endurance looks good but he wasn't "exceling" in the Goodwin run mid pack the whole time but did stay in for an extended period. Sellar was the impressive big guy striding out with ease! Schmidt and Thompson really pushed each other with the other players joining back in to encourage them.

And as others have posted macca did no running but looked the fittest of the lot!!
Thompson and Dangerfield did the cool down run throughs together and as I watched them chatting I was hoping that this partnership is one we can keep for many years!

So as others have stated it is run jog run jog. My lad does it with his club and says it is very hard as they also do theirs like the crows with a 5 min break after the 3km time trial. Pain, pain, pain

I mean, I go to the gym and all, but ...

**** that. :eek:

Young is the guy who I have most interest in as the reports about Truck being ginger every time someone sees him, and being so restricted and basically sounding like his body is sh*tting itself, seem to keep coming in thick and fast. The fact he has so much promise in one on one duels, is apparently developing his formerly-questioned disposal and now has such great fitness obviously puts him in a great position to jump into that team.

I took the lids to the Adelaide Uni grounds today to have a look at the lads and it was a full running session, Bock, Rutten VB, Macca, Martin, Symes, Moran and one other I have forgotten spent the whole morning on the bikes. The only one to do any running WAS VB who did a couple of laps with a trainer. Martin is walking with no limp at all but Rutten looked very ginger!

Thompson won the 'goodwin run" which to me looked like a beep test around the square, he looks extremely fit. Sellar stayed in as long as the midfielders which was impressive as it was a hot morning and it was a quick pace. I couldn't recognise who Thompson was up against but he looked very fit and strong with a large hooter.

Douglas did look fit but mind you they all look fit to me after being in Indonesia for three months and drinking beer with lunch!

Thanks WGG. Who was struggling at the back in the 3km time trial, and who dropped out early in the Goodwin Run?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I can't give an accurate account of the time trial as the timers finished it on the oval adjacent to where we were and therefore we only saw them doing a warm down recovery walk back to the grandstand. I was having a look at johncock who i unfairly picked to be the "UNFITTEST" looking of the group. He then got my suspicous eye following him in the Goodwin run where I think it was him and petrenko who pulled out first.
in my other post i wrote that Macca did no running but thinking back he was doing the return warm down walk so he did do the first running activity...as someone else stated I think he can do what he likes as he was the first to pack up his bike and head home!

Some random ones;
Thompson looks huge and as he won the Goodwin run also has the engine.
Big ivan is pushing it big time and has the locks flowing.
Symes didn't look at all comfortable after getting off the bike.
It was great to see andy Otten taking a role in the other guy's progress by constantly checking their output and consequent results on the bikes.
All of the crows were very approachable and had the time for my children after some very gruelling work, hats off to the club, neil Craig even enquiring as to what my kids got for christmas and how THEY SPENT IT! great work.

training at uni grounds seemed to have moved to university oval - across the footbridge from the back of adelaide uni or across the road from the women's and children's hospital.
surface is superb there.
there's a grandstand for good viewing and has some of the most picturesque surrounds for footer within the metropolitan area.

Was my home ground with the mighty Uni Blacks in the Amateur League...no better place to play footy.

Those were the days...

All of the crows were very approachable and had the time for my children after some very gruelling work, hats off to the club, neil Craig even enquiring as to what my kids got for christmas and how THEY SPENT IT! great work.

Craig's good like that, he always makes time for the fans :thumbsu:

Tippett as a ruck looks locked in, Thompson i think is under priced (Vince should get a tag now shouldn't he?), Dangerfield as a forward, Phil Davis as a fwd/back rookie bench. Who else is there?

The other players I am considering that have some value to improve enough to either become a keeper or make cash are: Burton, Knights, Porplyzia, Mackay and McKernan. The last two I am probably a bit more hopeful that they will improve more been I am a Crows supporter but they are on the list of many players I am considering. Also, did all the players that did the time trial do the Goodwin run as well? Just wondering how the players that did well in the time trial finished in the Goodwin run.

The other players I am considering that have some value to improve enough to either become a keeper or make cash are: Burton, Knights, Porplyzia, Mackay and McKernan. The last two I am probably a bit more hopeful that they will improve more been I am a Crows supporter but they are on the list of many players I am considering. Also, did all the players that did the time trial do the Goodwin run as well? Just wondering how the players that did well in the time trial finished in the Goodwin run.

Burton should be a nice cash cow, as long as he can play the first 8 game and score ok. I had him in 2008 and was solid, went up nicely and an easy upgrade. Can't keep him all year (unlikely he will play 22) but the feeling i get from crows supporters is Burton isn't that safe in the best 22. Tippet,Hentschel and Walker seem to get all the love. Would rate burton a mile infront of Hentschel, but that is just me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mackay shines as Crows return - 4/1/2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back