Matt Scharenberg v James Aish 2 years on

Remove this Banner Ad

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reading this article specifically this comment: "Likewise, Collingwood should be happy. It had a tough choice between Matt Scharenberg and James Aish at pick six but in opting for Scharenberg and taking midfielder Nathan Freeman at 10, the club addressed two parts of the ground."

2 years on do you think the club is happy with their choice of Scharenberg instead of Aish? What do ppl on here think?

Even though Matty hasn't played a senior game yet, I'm still convinced we made the right choice. Aish may become a pretty handy player for someone (not the Lions), but to me he doesn't have the traits of a Top 10 pick. He's not tall, he's not strong, he's not that quick. He uses the ball pretty well on both feet, that's his biggest plus. I think his slight frame will cop a bettering over the years. He's already had shoulder trouble, and goes into every game strapped up.

A fit Scharenberg will patrol the back half, intercept mark, pinpoint midfielders off both feet. He'll be a gem, and I hope we do everything we can to keep him.

We definitely made the right call at the time.

Is Aish playing reserves for Brisbane? Serious question.

Tough to argue it was the right call before Scharenberg has even played a senior game. Lets just hope the answer to the question in the OP is 'yes' in a years time

Tough to argue it was the right call before Scharenberg has even played a senior game. Lets just hope the answer to the question in the OP is 'yes' in a years time
Right call at the time. I am not sure we could have predicted Shazza's injuries. By the way, Aish already want out.

If you were to make a legitimate, unbiased call after two years you would suggest that freeman and scharenberg are busts.

Shaz will play some senior games soon, proper calls should be made at the end of the year. Freeman is too depressing to even think about, what could have been..

Knowing what we know now with the benefit of hindsight I'd have taken Cripps and McCarthy
I hate to say ifs and buts....but we would be top 4 if we had these two guys in our team right now. But hey, we don't and we are up there with the best. Can't wait for Shaz and Freeman to come along. Hopefully next year we will see them in both full swing.

If you were to make a legitimate, unbiased call after two years you would suggest that freeman and scharenberg are busts.

So you are making that call without considering their future prospects. Sound fair...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now, obviously Aish is better. We'll juat have to be patient and see what the future brings for Matt.

Aish would be a better player if he'd come to Collingwood instead of that shithole of a club up north, because we actually develop our young players (those we don't cripple with serious injuries).

At the time I was over the moon Shazz got to us and still think we've made the right call.

Admittedly I've been less than impressed by his rather tentative and vanilla displays at VFL level this year but hoping this is all due to confidence issues.

Shaz has just come back from a long time out. In that time he's fallen behind all his fellow draftees in regards to match practice and training. He is a quality footballer who, if injury doesn't get him again, will develop into a starting 22 player. He needs the rest of 2015 to get his confidence back and a full pre season, then we will start to fully see what he can do. If he leaves to SA, he leaves. For now, we need to give him time and judge him on his performances next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaz has just come back from a long time out. In that time he's fallen behind all his fellow draftees in regards to match practice and training. He is a quality footballer who, if injury doesn't get him again, will develop into a starting 22 player. He needs the rest of 2015 to get his confidence back and a full pre season, then we will start to fully see what he can do. If he leaves to SA, he leaves. For now, we need to give him time and judge him on his performances next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he'll sign on for at least 3 years to have a real crack at it. Doing the knee injury was horrible for him and us.

True but there isn't a recruiter in the AFL that drafts a kid and expects great things in their 1st 2 years.

On the OP, I wanted Aish at draft time but I didn't expect Scharenberg to be available. I definitely don't want Aish now and wouldn't swap them at all.

I still think Mccarthy wa an obvious choice I remember reading all the profiles and thinking we would grab him as a future forward. ...I was hoping for bontompelli and Mccarthy obviously the bont was gone...scharenberg is a good pick up...if freeman gets his body right he'll be a gem anyway lets hope fir a better 2016...

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Scharenberg v James Aish 2 years on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back