Kiza

Debutant
Oct 8, 2004
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Leeds
Astounds me how this guy doesn't get more recognition around here. He has re-invented himself this year in an emerging Essendon side by pushing up the ground and providing that link play for runners to receive as they go past, as well as still managing 20 goals for himself.

Will most likely reach the big 1000 sometime late next season and is easily the best forward of the past 10 years. Definite lock in for the Hall of Fame. Currently:

2000 Premiership Medalion
11 x Essendon Leading Goalkicker
5 x All Australian
3 x Coleman Medal
1 x Jim Stynes Medalist
1 x State of Origin
1 x Goal of the Year
1 x Mark of the Year

261 Games, 911 Goals

He has always suffered from perceptions in the media that he can't play up the ground.

He best games for Essendon have been when he has played as a true Centre Half Forward. There were the games in 2008 - 2009 when he has done very vell but in the past when he has played up the ground he has always done well. The best xample is a game during which he kicked 8 against Port, broke Chad Corns' shoulder (or something like that) and had about 20 possessions. I am not going to go through the record books but I assure that the games exist. The fact that Lucas has been such a good player meant that Lloyd has more often than not been chained to the goal square.

Having said all of that he is undoubtedly best used as a full forward. You cannot argue with his record can you?

From all reports Lloydy has also been a very tough captain who has been instrumental in instilling a vibrant hardworking culture in the side that is currently playing.

Nice that someone other than a Essendon supporter noticed it though :thumbsu:

I dont expect a whole lot of support for you, but you are spot on.

I would expect alot of support from non-biased footy fans, but they are few and far between.

Lloydy has been sensational this year, and i'm so happy to see him sticking it up the morons who have bagged him relentlessly for the past few years. At the Ess v Carlton game this year, i loathed the loss, but i did enjoy seeing him play a blinder of a match.

Just goes to show that you write off champions at your own peril, and Lloyd is in the top few champions currently playing the game.

Serious gun and a Champion of the game. He has been very good this year, i can't believe how quickly the media got on his back after one poor game. Never write off a champion.

1 x Jim Stynes Medalist
1 x State of Origin
1 x Goal of the Year
1 x Mark of the Year

Who cares???
Being picked to play for Victoria isn't considered an honour?

Agree about the other 3 though.

I agree - lloyd deserves some serious credit. Anyone who can re-invent themself to fit a completely different gameplan so successfully in their 30s is an impressive player in my view.

Add to that that he's on track to kick 50 goals even though he's playing way up the ground and totally unselfishly. Great stuff.

As for the knocks on him:

1) that goal of the year - yeah, it was a dodgy decision. But it's not his fault. He wasn't the judge.

2) the diving - yeah, he was once a fearsome diver. But a) he's much better now than he once was. And b) he has plenty of mates. 25% of the comp are divers these days.

So give him the :thumbsu::thumbsu: he's due.

Past it - sheepdogging cheap kicks on the wing does not make a good player, ask patrick bowden

at his best he was a very dangerous forward who was capable of winning a game off his own boot, apart from a few glimpses here and there, he is well past that now

Great player no doubt but . . .

1) pre-occupation with diving to win frees, not so much this year but in the past few, when he's struggled to be as dominant as he once was.

2) the way his mouth hangs open all the time - it just looks weird and I don't like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as he is in the forward line, Essendon are always some sort of small chance in every game they play. He's one of those rare players that you can say that about.

I knew it would not take long for the "diving" accusations to surface in this thread. It is one of the most over-rated myths in football which people still like to bring up to discredit his achievements.

1 x Jim Stynes Medalist
1 x State of Origin
1 x Goal of the Year
1 x Mark of the Year

Who cares???

Yea I thought I would chuck them in there for a bit more effect ;)

Past it - sheepdogging cheap kicks on the wing does not make a good player, ask patrick bowden

at his best he was a very dangerous forward who was capable of winning a game off his own boot, apart from a few glimpses here and there, he is well past that now

Quite obviously you don't watch him play all that much then. Another 4 goals this weekend and is that reliable player who is most likley going to get you at least 2 goals a game which judging by the close games we have seen this season, a very handy thing.

I knew it would not take long for the "diving" accusations to surface in this thread. It is one of the most over-rated myths in football which people still like to bring up to discredit his achievements.

It's just another example of people overexagerating things way too much. Yea there's no denying he has staged for some free kicks in his career but out of the 911 goals he has notched up so far, it would be lucky if 30 of them resulted from diving.

Astounds me how this guy doesn't get more recognition around here. He has re-invented himself this year in an emerging Essendon side by pushing up the ground and providing that link play for runners to receive as they go past, as well as still managing 20 goals for himself.

Will most likely reach the big 1000 sometime late next season and is easily the best forward of the past 10 years. Definite lock in for the Hall of Fame. Currently:

2000 Premiership Medalion
11 x Essendon Leading Goalkicker
5 x All Australian
3 x Coleman Medal
1 x Jim Stynes Medalist
1 x State of Origin
1 x Goal of the Year
1 x Mark of the Year

261 Games, 911 Goals

Your mates in Geelong are going to kill you. :eek:

Yea there's no denying he has staged for some free kicks in his career but out of the 911 goals he has notched up so far, it would be lucky if 30 of them resulted from diving.

If you believed some people, particularly a large minority of Collingwood supporters, you'd be content in assuming that 910 of his 911 goals were actually either a result of a. diving or b. free kicks.

There is no questioning he was much more umpire conscious at the beginning of his career, but what forward isn't even these days? Anybody seen Fevola or Riewoldt in action? If you are given a free kick near goal, you'll take it.

He's a star.

would be one of the most hated players in the last 10 years for his on ground antics.

im sure everyone respects his ability.

You obviously didn't watch the Carlton or Hawthorn games. There isn't a forward in the competition that has the ability to be as dominant in the air as Lloyd was against Carlton... not one forward! ;)

15 marks against Hawthorn, a career high. This is from a forward who doesn't get the same number of opportunities as a Fevola, Riewoldt or Franklin.

shld b in the olympicz 4 his diving ROFL

ll0yd gets gls frm free kicks lolzorz

his a h4ck

nuff seyd

He's past it, should have retired last year.

Every thread on Essendon it seems like these are the replies of the Essendon supporters, a lot of the time the same ones.

You should lose the chips on your shoulders boys, it's better for the posture and makes life more enjoyable :p

Every thread on Essendon it seems like these are the replies of the Essendon supporters, a lot of the time the same ones.

You should lose the chips on your shoulders boys, it's better for the posture and makes life more enjoyable :p

No chips on shoulders there mate. They are just beating the cretins to the inevitable punch. Can't be discussion about Lloyd, without those usual misinformed and incorrect gems being rolled out. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back