Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rankine was a pick 3. Dawson is a case of good recruiting
But not played in Godden teams - so pointless
And
Soligo,Pedlar, Muzz,MM,Worrall, Crouch,Rachelle etc,etc. Which system did they come through?
Well MM came through Norwoods system , Rachele hasnt played many reserves games and Crouch - I dont know why you bothered with Crouch and the rest spent upwards of 18 months waiting for games while they '' worked on eliminating mistakes''

I understand your an Eagles boy but surely you can agree you were at least 2 flags short on Goddens watch

I still don't understand the hate from some on this board for Godden. Does someone have inside info on his performance or is it only intuition or similar?

You do follow WWT?

He won one premiership but due to his inflexibility cost us a couple of others.

I understand your an Eagles boy but surely you can agree you were at least 2 flags short on Goddens watch

And he won that flag within the first two years of his coaching tenure - most of the work was done by Ron Fuller (who just couldn’t beat Centrals in GFs).

We were minor Premiers, 2015-2017, without a flag.

And he won that flag within the first two years of his coaching tenure - most of the work was done by Ron Fuller (who just couldn’t beat Centrals in GFs).

We were minor Premiers, 2015-2017, without a flag.
I understand but to get to those GF's takes a bit of coaching ability. Injuries cost us one. Eagles were a finals team most of his tenure.

I still don't understand the hate. Is he doing something wrong there. Nicks is the senior coach.

You reckon we can’t afford decent coaches? Paying under the soft cap?

The reality is that we're about $2 million per season worse off than most other clubs even before a ball is bounced (due to the AFL license fee payment and the additional money we pay the SANFL for our reserves to play in the SANFL).

You look at what an extra $2 million a year alone could provide to the club in terms of a war chest for equipment, facilities and coaches.

Collingwood had around a 6 million statutory profit in 2023 while we only made a million, you extrapolate that over 10 years (Collingwood $60 million, SANFL $20 million and the AFC $10 million). That equates to a 50 million dollar difference in what Collingwood can invest into their football program versus us.

I've made this point in the past, but we'll never be successful and never truly able to compete with the top clubs if we're handing out money constantly to the SANFL. As much as people hated Fagan, he at least understood this and made it a priority to try and minimise our financial responsibilities to the SANFL to try and level the playing field.

Last edited:
The reality is that we're about $2 million per season worse off than most other clubs even before a ball is bounced (due to the AFL license fee payment and the additional money we pay the SANFL for our reserves to play in the SANFL).

You look at what an extra $2 million a year alone could provide to the club in terms of a war chest for equipment, facilities and coaches.

Collingwood had around a 6 million statutory profit in 2023 while we only made a million, you extrapolate that over 10 years (Collingwood $60 million, SANFL $20 million and the AFC $10 million). That equates to a 50 million dollar difference in what Collingwood can invest into their football program versus us.

I've made this point in the past, but we'll never be successful and never truly able to compete with the top clubs if we're handing out money constantly to the SANFL. As much as people hated Fagan, he at least understood this and made it a priority to try and minimise our financial responsibilities to the SANFL to try and level the playing field.

But we still spend the full cap and no club exceeds it except for a few pennies here and there.

But we still spend the full cap and no club exceeds it except for a few pennies here and there.

Just to clarify, the soft cap is currently 2 million less than it was back in 2019, so while it's fine at the moment it's not going to last.

Both Collingwood and West Coast are two clubs pushing hard behind the scenes to get the soft cap back to pre-covid levels.

When you also factor in that we more than likely didn't spend all of the salary cap last year that would also eat into that 1 million profit.

The numbers just aren't adding up for us to be able to compete.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m frustrated again. Looking at Cook vs Murphy over the last 4 years. We’ve only managed to get 19 games into Cook in that period with his current run of 7 games equaling his previous best run of games.

Murphy we have managed to pump 56 games into during that time.

imagine what cook might look like today with 50+ games under his belt instead of 19…

Drafting is not the issue at the afc, it’s player development.

Edit: McSpudry has played 61 games in that time!

Just to clarify, the soft cap is currently 2 million less than it was back in 2019, so while it's fine at the moment it's not going to last.

Both Collingwood and West Coast are two clubs pushing hard behind the scenes to get the soft cap back to pre-covid levels.

The numbers just don't add up for us to be able to compete.

Every time the AFL releases info on club spend v soft cap, there's only ever been a couple of clubs above it and only by around $50k. So unless the system is rorted, clubs are almost entirely spending the same amount of money on their football operations.

I just saw the end of his players address after the Collingwood loss, and essentially said, "Don't go away from here with the over-riding thoughts of what you need to do to get better, I'm proud of you. Get around each other. And we move on!"

I mean what the actual ****! Another tight loss of essentially our own doing and that's enough for Nicks! FMD.

I just saw the end of his players address after the Collingwood loss, and essentially said, "Don't go away from here with the over-riding thoughts of what you need to do to get better, I'm proud of you. Get around each other. And we move on!"

I mean what the actual heck! Another tight loss of essentially our own doing and that's enough for Nicks! FMD.

Yeah I saw that. Does it really send the right message to say he's proud of losing?

Yeah I saw that. Does it really send the right message to say he's proud of losing?
I can't believe the social media team looked at that footage and thought, "yep let's get that out into the public domain". Even on Facebook which is usually happy-clapper central the reactions are a cross between bemused and scathing.

I can't believe the social media team looked at that footage and thought, "yep let's get that out into the public domain". Even on Facebook which is usually happy-clapper central the reactions are a cross between bemused and scathing.
I check the Facebook stuff regularly and the view that everyone or most over there support the club, Nicks, etc, with blind loyalty is not borne out even with a quick perusal.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Nicks keeps on backing the same old players he’s in huge trouble. We’re never going to improve if we keep on playing Smith, Laird , Sholl, McHenry, Jones and Murphy etc whilst neglecting youth.

It’s absolutely frustrating how we drop Curtin after two games (both games he got subbed early) and not giving Dowling a chance? We are playing teams in the lower half of the table and we won’t play them.

Nicks is rewarding mediocrity…

If Nicks keeps on backing the same old players he’s in huge trouble. We’re never going to improve if we keep on playing Smith, Laird , Sholl, McHenry, Jones and Murphy etc whilst neglecting youth.

It’s absolutely frustrating how we drop Curtin after two games (both games he got subbed early) and not giving Dowling a chance? We are playing teams in the lower half of the table and we won’t play them.

Nicks is rewarding mediocrity…
It seems to me that Pepsi Nuts doesn't like players who can't sit and stay. They don't get a look in until they learn to sit.
While the "yes boss" mob get the jumpers regardless of any skill set they bring.

Every time the AFL releases info on club spend v soft cap, there's only ever been a couple of clubs above it and only by around $50k. So unless the system is rorted, clubs are almost entirely spending the same amount of money on their football operations.

The soft cap has an upper limit, but from what I'm aware there's no minimum so clubs can spend as much or as little as they are able to afford.

The issue isn't really about spending over the cap, it's about being in a position financially to be able to spend as much of the cap as possible.

You're an accountant right? It's not hard to see that our finances suggest that if the soft cap were to go back to the 2019 amount that we wouldn't have the capacity to get close to the ceiling whereas clubs like Collingwood and West Coast can easily afford an extra 2 million in coaching salaries

Last edited:
One thing I am curious about is Rankine's hamstring is why no one has brought up that its an overuse injury. Could this injury have been prevented by better in game player management. A lack of midfield rotations, over reliance on too few etc.
I think Rankine just absolutely busted himself trying to drag the team along. He was a one man army and looks to care the most about winning/being successful.

Back