Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sack this useless prick.

The more you see of the young lads the more you (should) realise how bad Nicks is at identifying talent.

He's in year 5 and our best two players are ones that have been developed by other clubs.

He hasn't put enough games into our young talent, he's wasted so many games on Ned, Murphy, Smith and Laird.

How much say does Nicks have in selection week to week?

It's a committee. I'd imagine there's largely consensus on most calls and in the event there's not, I exoect he'd have final say. Reality is that 20 decisions are bleedingly obvious requiring little or no discussion whatsoever.

Nicks is an assistant coach level.

He obviously has ability around structures and game style.

He equally has massive holes in his skill set (see career win percentage)

He might work it all out in his next senior role, I’m just not that keen on watching him learn anymore.

Beating a GWS team that looks broken (at our home) is really not a great indicator of anything … more a feed of false hope for those craving some bitter scraps.

Did anyone else notice how broken Nicks looked when they cut to him today? Made me wonder what he was thinking … has he got no hope of hitting his “don’t fire me” games won trigger? I guess I can dream

Nicks is an assistant coach level.
Yep thats his level . He may work it out one day but it shouldnt be at our expense
Beating a GWS team that looks broken (at our home) is really not a great indicator of anything … more a feed of false hope for those craving some bitter scraps.
I was mildly surprised before the game to hear that GWS are averaging 65 points for this year - they need forwards badly

Yep thats his level . He may work it out one day but it shouldnt be at our expense

I was mildly surprised before the game to hear that GWS are averaging 65 points for this year - they need forwards badly
McHurphberg!!!
I'm sure we could work something out for them. 😜

Not for the entire season, just since round 5. They average 87 points for the entire season. They kicked 100+ in their first 4 games, but have struggled since then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not for the entire season, just since round 5. They average 87 points for the entire season. They kicked 100+ in their first 4 games, but have struggled since then.
If you go back and look at who they played to start with I think that goes someway to explaining why they looked good.
Collingwood (started poorly)
North (are no good)
Eagles (are no good)
Suns (were away from home)
Saints (no good)
Lot convincingly to Carlton who are good
Flogged Brisbane who started poorly

The 2020 video (not 2000, apologies) that I refer to is this one - you can see how Godden bought in right from the outset. Check out just how arrogant Nicks is. Nice guy, huh? Really? Coaches don't have to be nice (Blight certainly wasn't) as long as they are really good. Nicks is neither. Or more the point, he can't pick his moments:

Call me old, but I remember VB when he first arrived at the club as a rookie, giving veterans sh!t for not measuring up. It earned him a lot of respect early on, and (as it turns out) an overblown reputation here. I think quite a few saw him as another Bickley, a battler who was just skillful enough and did all the right things. Things changed in a hurry after his Achilles injury, after that moment the elite standards seemed to drop as he struggled to continue his career and just hung on. It's cruel, it's mean, it's football, and he was hardly alone (as you can see in our team right now).

Back to coaching... That brief moment when his eyes lit up when a random from the press asked him about Billy Dowling earlier this year actually gave me a bit of hope... he actually still remembers good talent! Then the company line kicked in... and well, you know the rest.

Call me soft (and you know how hard I am on the rest of our coaching "circus") but I see.. something? I don't quite know what (well I do... and I yet don't). If he has to go to clear out ALL of the rest, so be it... I'd rather he still be around if Nicks and Godden and Burns are gone, than he be the sacrificial lamb and the rest of the crap is back next year.

You can be challenging and direct, without being condescending/arrogant - which isn't the case here.

That video was particularly revealing of the rot in our club for multiple reasons.

You've got Nicks giving a supporter level analysis 'it's the last guy chasing'. You've got him making ultimatums he wasn't prepared to act on: 'if you're not prepared to chase, get out', when five years later we've still got the same seniors slow walking defensively.

And you've got Sloane bragging about how good the midfield group was and how it was just about to turn around.

At least we made an example out of Crouch...

Until we needed him, meanwhile, Laird plays the most selfish, irrelevant footy you can imagine.

Nicks approach, taking into account the rest of the team management, is exactly the correct approach

There’s plenty of games remaining ,,,, you’ll see Ryan and Curtin get games

But at this point …. Nicks is taking the correct approach …. you probably won’t understand nor accept the reasons

Are you prepared actually to identify:

1. what the approach is that you consider to be the correct approach that is being taken; and
2. why you consider that to be the correct approach?

Are you prepared actually to identify:

1. what the approach is that you consider to be the correct approach that is being taken; and
2. why you consider that to be the correct approach?

And more importantly, how many games into Curtin and Edwards is the correct approach?

Sure, the rest of the world might all be too thick to understand it, but Wayne isn't so surely he can lay it out there.

It doesn't take me 5 years to work out whether someone has the ability.

Nicks does not have the capability of being a premiership winning coach as he just doesn't have the smarts.

We are wasting out time continuing his tenure as the sooner we find someone capable of outcoaching most other teams, the sooner we become successful again.

Working closely with people, you know within a year (otten much quicker for some) whether they are going to be able to grow into a role.

The fact that our management still believe he can make us successful reflects badly on them too as they clearly are clueless.

It's why we need a clean out ASAP to get back on track & bring in quality football people like Balme who understand what it takes to be successful.

Back