Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't take me 5 years to work out whether someone has the ability.

Nicks does not have the capability of being a premiership winning coach as he just doesn't have the smarts.

We are wasting out time continuing his tenure as the sooner we find someone capable of outcoaching most other teams, the sooner we become successful again.

Working closely with people, you know within a year (otten much quicker for some) whether they are going to be able to grow into a role.

The fact that our management still believe he can make us successful reflects badly on them too as they clearly are clueless.

It's why we need a clean out ASAP to get back on track & bring in quality football people like Balme who understand what it takes to be successful.
Another failed year with no finals with nicks at the helm.

Not sure where they get that vision from
Silver was told about an envelope in Fagans desk drawer and told not to open it until the natives got restless

He opened the envelope that said '' just say the coach is a premiership coach - put envelope back in drawer for next ceo ''

Silver was told about an envelope in Fagans desk drawer and told not to open it until the natives got restless

He opened the envelope that said '' just say the coach is a premiership coach - put envelope back in drawer for next ceo ''
Shades of "Brett Burton is an elite head of football".

Appreciate the effort but the only strength you’ve outlined is culture. Yes we were the highest scoring team but we also had a great forward line. But even with that forward line we still didn’t make the finals and he turned that strength into a weakness in the first 4 rounds.

Two things on that forward line though

Pedlar didn’t come back this season the same player he was - whether he got ahead of himself or had other issues off field
Thilthorpe was out from the get go

In terms of the defensive change to game plan - Voss did the same thing with Carlton last year, started the year trying to install a more defensive game plan so they would stop giving up swags of goals in runs. It took them about 8 rounds - and many were calling for him to be sacked - before they started to make it work/tweaked it back a bit
Giving up runs of goals and being able to defend better was definitely the area we needed to improve from last year

For us, we ran into injuries through that time, on top of the ones we already had and our depth was shown to be non existent

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And don’t crumple it or throw it away, so it can be used again.

Two things on that forward line though

Pedlar didn’t come back this season the same player he was - whether he got ahead of himself or had other issues off field
Thilthorpe was out from the get go

In terms of the defensive change to game plan - Voss did the same thing with Carlton last year, started the year trying to install a more defensive game plan so they would stop giving up swags of goals in runs. It took them about 8 rounds - and many were calling for him to be sacked - before they started to make it work/tweaked it back a bit
Giving up runs of goals and being able to defend better was definitely the area we needed to improve from last year

For us, we ran into injuries through that time, on top of the ones we already had and our depth was shown to be non existent

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Oh please, we couldn’t score in those early games because we were so slow in moving the ball on. When you’re the highest scoring team to slow the ball movement down that much to improve your defence from the 9th best in the league is idiotic.

Speaking of Pedlar, how did the dumb match up on Stewart go? Then we let Stewart take a world record intercept marks with our genius coach “he’s just too good”. Enter McEntee.

We were smashed by intercept defenders because of snail pace ball movement and pushing a forward up the ground around the contest so we are out numbered.

Throw in his vanilla midfield he was slow in changing and his coaching in the first four weeks sucked.

Then he’s continued to make selection errors, like subbing Nank for Smith who he eventually dropped.

Throw in the fact he’s blamed players, poxy excuses like shape and he’s not taken any responsibility for this season and I have no time for his dodgy used car salesman bullshit. Some do clearly.

I don’t give a toss about Voss, you want to give me a coach who turned it around and I’ll give you Teague and Bolton. Nicks is in with the latter group until he stops ****ing up and gets us into the finals.

Oh please, we couldn’t score in those early games because we were so slow in moving the ball on. When you’re the highest scoring team to slow the ball movement down that much to improve your defence from the 9th best in the league is idiotic.

Speaking of Pedlar, how did the dumb match up on Stewart go? Then we let Stewart take a world record intercept marks with our genius coach “he’s just too good”. Enter McEntee.

We were smashed by intercept defenders because of snail pace ball movement and pushing a forward up the ground around the contest so we are out numbered.

Throw in his vanilla midfield he was slow in changing and his coaching in the first four weeks sucked.

Then he’s continued to make selection errors, like subbing Nank for Smith who he eventually dropped.

Throw in the fact he’s blamed players, poxy excuses like shape and he’s not taken any responsibility for this season and I have no time for his dodgy used car salesman bullshit. Some do clearly.

I don’t give a toss about Voss, you want to give me a coach who turned it around and I’ll give you Teague and Bolton. Nicks is in with the latter group until he stops ****ing up and gets us into the finals.

Intercept defenders are a symptom of dumb ball movement. How many times do we have players free but get ignored only to bomb it long to a contest that includes the games best defenders. A smart game plan on stewart would have been to simply go around him or over him. Bombing it long to a contest where he is consistently was one of the dumbest things ive seen.

Intercept defenders are a symptom of dumb ball movement. How many times do we have players free but get ignored only to bomb it long to a contest that includes the games best defenders. A smart game plan on stewart would have been to simply go around him or over him. Bombing it long to a contest where he is consistently was one of the dumbest things ive seen.
We are experts at making intercept defenders BOG most of this season... for the opposition.

Another reason why it's clear we have poor strategic coaches.

Compare Port v us when we played the Cays & Stewart's influence.

Our coaches are so dumb, they just repeat over & over making the opposition's spare in defence BOG.

Smart people learn from their mistakes.

We are experts at making intercept defenders BOG most of this season... for the opposition.

Our coaches are so dumb, they just repeat over & over making the opposition's spare in defence BOG.

Our Buffoons in the box play straight into the oppositions hands with our ridiculous gameplan of going +1 at stoppages leaving our forwards out numbered.

Tex wallpapered over this cracked game plan last season to some extent. But this season its been shown up time and time again.

You also highlight something cultural

We had a new line coach this year so would have thought some point of difference might arise

But either Hombsch was ignored or he went along with the status quo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was curious to see how that stacked up historically. Here it is for anyone else curious.

Agree St Kilda will be a good gauge - another low supporter base opponent.

View attachment 2037968
Lowest Adelaide Oval crowd excluding the impact of covid.

Also, they were giving away free tickets to kids.

The club should be worried as members sending a clear message...

Back