Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a lot of great quotes from our loser coaches over the years, so add that one to the long list
Could you imagine what we'd bulldoze without them?

He's a bad coach but now he's just being a dick.
It shows that he's very aware of the criticism the decision to recall Smith will bring.

The club is aware too. The pressure getting to them.

We've seen it already this season with Curtin's debut. I'm sure some pressure got placed on Nicks from within the club with us losing and other club's early picks being played. Due to fan pressure.

Nicks reacted a bit snarkily to talk about selection options outside the team, hinting that those calling for the ins hadn't watched the SANFL games.

We also saw Curtin pop up some Crows-related social media pics following speculation he would be heading home.

They're trying to manage every aspect of this rocky season, trying to keep people onside as best as they can

It shows that he's very aware of the criticism the decision to recall Smith will bring.
Seems like a weird way to manage supporters though. "See this player you think is out of form and past it? He's not going anywhere".

I think the only people reassured by Nicks's comments would be the older group of senior players. If Smith isn't in the gun even though he's the most out of form of any of them, the others are safe.

Seems like a weird way to manage supporters though. "See this player you think is out of form and past it? He's not going anywhere".

I think the only people reassured by Nicks's comments would be the older group of senior players. If Smith isn't in the gun even though he's the most out of form of any of them, the others are safe.

He's arrogant, he thinks that by saying Smith is part of the future, supporters will just bow down to his wisdom and there won't be blowback

"What are you complaining about, I explained myself! Smith has been brought back because he's the future, now shut up"

No one's reassured by it

It's a pre-emptively snarky reaction to the question that Nicks knows will inevitably come: Why are we going back to an older, out of form, likely delistee in a season we can't make finals?

Real answer that Nicks can't give: I think this will help give us the best chance to scrape through with a semi-competitive effort against Brisbane. Future be damned, I'm under the pump here.

So the answer he gives: This is DEFINITELY not a short-term, paper over the cracks decision. Smith is a big part of our future, see? I'm all about development. Did I say future? I did? Good. Can you underline that? Future.

The club is aware too. The pressure getting to them.

We've seen it already this season with Curtin's debut. I'm sure some pressure got placed on Nicks from within the club with us losing and other club's early picks being played. Due to fan pressure.

Nicks reacted a bit snarkily to talk about selection options outside the team, hinting that those calling for the ins hadn't watched the SANFL games.

We also saw Curtin pop up some Crows-related social media pics following speculation he would be heading home.

They're trying to manage every aspect of this rocky season, trying to keep people onside as best as they can
You have to hand it to Shutts, he's all over public perception and controlling the message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was curious to see how that stacked up historically. Here it is for anyone else curious.

Agree St Kilda will be a good gauge - another low supporter base opponent.

View attachment 2037968
I reckon the Saints have a good following in Adelaide. Always seems to be a lot of their supporters at AO when we play them here.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do we need anymore evidence this blokes a ****wit?

You can’t be serious - a 32 year old is not “part of our future” but “a big part of our future”.

Just flabbergasted he would say this.

We are going nowhere with him when one makes ridiculous statements like that. Just say he is back in the side and leave it at that.

You can’t be serious - a 32 year old is not “part of our future” but “a big part of our future”.

Just flabbergasted he would say this.

We are going nowhere with him when one makes ridiculous statements like that. Just say he is back in the side and leave it at that.
The fact the club leadership are not ensuring the selection committee prioritise playing young talent in preparation for next season... goes to show our club's current football operations have nfi.

It hurts enough they wrote our year off in the 1st month, but now they are proceeding to waste the rest of the year by not prioritising our high end young talent.
Curtin, Ryan & Edwards all should be getting a decent block of games. Taylor should be starting games.

The fact the club leadership are not ensuring the selection committee prioritise playing young talent in preparation for next season... goes to show our club's current football operations have nfi.

It hurts enough they wrote our year off in the 1st month, but now they are proceeding to waste the rest of the year by not prioritising our high end young talent.
Curtin, Ryan & Edwards all should be getting a decent block of games. Taylor should be starting games.
The club extended Nicks so it's in their interest to finish as high as possible.

A couple of wins out of the 8 is a great result for them. Everything on track, a bit of a rough start made it hard, a few unlucky close losses, a few injuries. We're not far off. Improvement isn't always linear.

I am over Nicks, I really hoped the job security that came with an extension would give him the confidence to be a bit more creative and ruthless at selection.
As the weeks go on, I find it hard to not think he is just in this for himself and trying to prolong his own career above anything else.

No one's reassured by it

It's a pre-emptively snarky reaction to the question that Nicks knows will inevitably come: Why are we going back to an older, out of form, likely delistee in a season we can't make finals?

Real answer that Nicks can't give: I think this will help give us the best chance to scrape through with a semi-competitive effort against Brisbane. Future be damned, I'm under the pump here.

So the answer he gives: This is DEFINITELY not a short-term, paper over the cracks decision. Smith is a big part of our future, see? I'm all about development. Did I say future? I did? Good. Can you underline that? Future.
Will he get asked the question directly though? We will all ask the question, it will be asked on talk back radio, may even get raised in the media but will it be asked to him directly and will anyone in the media hold him to account with his answer?

This is the issue tho. We are currently 2.5 games behind the 13th team and lets say all the teams ahead of us win 2-3 games (not unreasonable), we are not likely to win 5 or our last 8 games to get ahead of them and what would be the point to do that? To weaken your draft position from 5th to 6th, how stupid.

Likewise we aren’t going to drop below 15th so we are now literally in no mans land - we either have pick 4 or pick 5. He needs to play as many youngsters without disturbing the team balance because he needs to understand that whilst he has a two year extension, he will be sacked this time next year if we are back in this same position.

He has literally shown he lacks strategic ability (evidence 1 - Pedlar on Stewart).

Back