Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The club extended Nicks so it's in their interest to finish as high as possible.

A couple of wins out of the 8 is a great result for them. Everything on track, a bit of a rough start made it hard, a few unlucky close losses, a few injuries. We're not far off. Improvement isn't always linear.
Exactly this. It’s a pissweak club with management more interested in protecting their arse and limiting noise. The whole ambassador thing which includes media is the biggest dissent controlling tool they could have come up with and it sadly works.

Very disappointed to hear Rowey even backing in the "Smithers Narrative"...
"They need real guidance back there & he IS an important part of that"
Christ, if the backline was following Smiths lead,
they'd all be queuing up for cheapies, blindly slapping it on the boot, spraying it out on the full, then holding a weekly apology session in the media.
No F#%#n Thanks.

Shows you how far down the bar is now that he looks like a superstar.

He did have his strength/weaknesses, and his particular style of building the team was hit/miss. He looked for value for money in terms of IDing and picking off guys that were not a part of their current teams best 22. Jenkins, Lynch, Seedsman etc were picked like that, but it also was a big failure with guys like Menzel and Hampton. We also were very active in the Cat B space with him with Greenwood, Keath and those 3-4 basketballer rucks we took.

He was also far too generous at the trade table and would pay overs/accept unders to try and keep other teams happy.
Pleease .... you need to get in those corridors, continuing to ignore the incompetence. While Noble was employed at Adelaide, either as an assistant or in list management we played 275 games and won 161 of those games = 58% WL. Nicks has coached for 98 games and we have won 34 of them, with a 35% W/L. Every time we win a game the apologists come running out of their cupboards, the movement pattern is inconsistent and the ability to kick to a player on the run/or spot kick is way below standard.

I don't know what period you have dreamt of in your mind, we seemed to have developed a group of supporters who are apologists for mediocrity. We were a strong club, however with the last 7 years of drafting glaring at us, things need to change. I am confused as to why Nicks did not want a mentor, but it is too late now. He has signed off, on the drafting of players who are mostly not good enough, from 2005-2016 there were a number of players, who became highly efficient role players due to the standard of coaching, and team cohesion within the club. That has become a faint relic of the past at Adelaide in this current period. How many years would you want this to continue?

When Tex goes, the pain will go deeper. Even with a body seriously starting to slow, the team understandings of Tex are many levels above many of the players he is playing with, and his leadership . We have a small group of elite talent in this current group, only Thilthorpe (Pick 2!) and Michalanney came through the draft. Rachelle getting 6 years is an embarrassment to this once strong club! Nicks over coaches, he acts like a primary school teacher with a group of 6 year olds.

At some point in the next 2 years Nicks needs to move on, hopefully before that the list management group can be changed. Until there is a change to the board composition before that, we are going nowhere. FULL STOP !!!!!! Winning culture is not created off 34 wins in 98 games!

He was doing ok until '' he's a big part of our future''

32 year olds are now our future

#wearegeelong
I thought the same - take that out and it was a decent interview. I especially liked him saying about trying out Curtin further up the ground to take advantage of his skills.

The only way you could make any sense into that is if Smithers has already triggered his contract targets for next year, and will be on the list no matter what anyone thinks. In that scenario Nicks doesn't have a lot of room to move. It still has all the common sense of a lemming willingly walking into an industrial fan.

Last edited:
I thought the same - take that out and it was a decent interview. I especially liked him saying about trying out Curtain further up the ground to take advantage of his skills.

The only way you could make any sense into that is if Smithers has already triggered his contract targets for next year, and will be on the list no matter what anyone thinks. In that scenario Nicks doesn't have a lot of room to move. It still has all the common sense of a lemming willingly walking into an industrial fan.

What do you mean Nicks doesn't have a lot of room to move?

Very simple, don't select an out of form and past it Smith - it really is that easy.

Not for our resident Buffoon though, **** me Smith a big part of our future. Nicks takent ID is woeful.

What do you mean Nicks doesn't have a lot of room to move?

Very simple, don't select an out of form and past it Smith - it really is that easy.

Not for our resident Buffoon though, **** me Smith a big part of our future. Nicks takent ID is woeful.
Well, I figured he can't exactly say that he's been complete dog sh!t all year and has no future with the team, when he knows at some stage we have to announce he is playing on in 2025 (because of those pesky contract details).

He could have done it better though. Something like Smithers still has a definite role in the team as a leader, has done that being made to find form in the SANFL, etc, etc. "Big part of our future" was at best, a horrible reach.

Well, I figured he can't exactly say that he's been complete dog sh!t all year and has no future with the team, when he knows at some stage we have to announce he is playing on in 2025 (because of those pesky contract details).

He could have done it better though. Something like Smithers still has a definite role in the team as a leader, has done that being made to find form in the SANFL, etc, etc. "Big part of our future" was at best, a horrible reach.
Sign em On, Silence the Noise.

He was doing ok until '' he's a big part of our future''

32 year olds are now our future

#wearegeelong
If he'd said "Thilthorpe* is a big part of our future" OR
* substitute any of Soligo/Rachele/Michalanney/Nankervis/Rankine/Dowling/Fogarty/Curtin/Taylor
ok, makes sense.

But SMITH?? Brodie Smith? 32yo Brodie Smith? 32yo Brodie Smith who was playing so badly he was dropped?

That's like the American Democrats saying "Biden is a big part of our future".

It's okay guys, cool your jets.

I had a dream last night that we made the GF this year. It was the morning of the GF, so I didn't see if we won though.
Freud, who believed that " ... every dream reveals itself as the fulfillment of a desire", would be happy.
It's why we want our dreams to come true.

Have a chat to your subconscious before you fall asleep next time.
Point out that the Crows'd have to win their next 12 games (8 Minor Rounds, 4 Finals from 7th or 8th) to win the 2024 Flag.
Explain that Nicks is still our Coach.

Sleep tight :thumbsu:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to think it was code for introducing Smith as a development coach. Nicks isn't that clever though.

That would be very Adelaide. "We've scoured the lands for the best coaches and it turns out they already work here".

The focus of getting our preseason beat 23 playing together doesn't change. Smith had to play because none of the handful of pre-ordained 26-27 are available to play half back. The beauty here is that we'll get soundly beaten and the apologists can say, 'we had lots more problems out there today then just Brodie Smith'. Plus he'll suck back for 5 kick outs and round out his 18 touches with handball receives that he pumps forward indiscriminately.

The focus of getting our preseason beat 23 playing together doesn't change. Smith had to play because none of the handful of pre-ordained 26-27 are available to play half back. The beauty here is that we'll get soundly beaten and the apologists can say, 'we had lots more problems out there today then just Brodie Smith'. Plus he'll suck back for 5 kick outs and round out his 18 touches with handball receives that he pumps forward indiscriminately.
Harris Andrews would have done a fist pump when he saw Smith was back in the team.

Exactly this. It’s a pissweak club with management more interested in protecting their arse and limiting noise. The whole ambassador thing which includes media is the biggest dissent controlling tool they could have come up with and it sadly works.

It's simply the AFL's accreditation system deployed at club level.

Very disappointed to hear Rowey even backing in the "Smithers Narrative"...
"They need real guidance back there & he IS an important part of that"
Christ, if the backline was following Smiths lead,
they'd all be queuing up for cheapies, blindly slapping it on the boot, spraying it out on the full, then holding a weekly apology session in the media.
No F#%#n Thanks.

Exactly, he's flat chat running around seagulling to pad his stats, he doesn't do any organisation back there at all.

Yet you would think they would be the most resilient to criticism

Once you've attained a level, you don't get any criticisms from within the walls. Everything is excused and you're told that your experience is invaluable as a pick me up instead of being told your form is crap. Which is why they're mystified and angry when they're eventually dropped.

Can't be bothered watching it.

Let me guess: injuries, young side, keep the faith, injuries, improvement not always linear and oh...injuries.

Back