Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

And what's our plan when we get in a good assistant to babysit Nicks then they leave because they're a highly rated assistant with lots of promotion opportunities?

season 2 GIF

And what's our plan when we get in a good assistant to babysit Nicks then they leave because they're a highly rated assistant with lots of promotion opportunities?

Is that going to happen though? My understanding is that we threw around a lot of coin at the end of last year to replace Rahilly and we couldn't attract anyone. As it currently sits, the AFC is not an enticing place to work. My theory is Nicks is simply not rated in the internal coaching ranks and with us looking to lay blame on our current assistant coaches to make them scape goats, we wont look good at all. We will no doubt fill our coaches box next year with newb assistant coaches who are freshly retired from playing.

Very disappointed to hear Rowey even backing in the "Smithers Narrative"...
"They need real guidance back there & he IS an important part of that"
Christ, if the backline was following Smiths lead,
they'd all be queuing up for cheapies, blindly slapping it on the boot, spraying it out on the full, then holding a weekly apology session in the media.
No F#%#n Thanks.

Not just that... I'd say it's the one area of the ground that on average is more in form and playing well than any other area. So there literally no need for Smith's "leadership". They clearly look better without him and Rowey, and just about anyone, can see that. He must know he's speaking BS. Perhaps just holding back after his last spray you'd have to guess.

God I hate our BS media. Someone speak up! It's killing me.

Jist of the interview....finding more help for Matthew Nicks, so it appears Nicks is safe unfortunately..
Likely shake up of assistant Coaches end of year and Recruiting/List Management being closely looked at. 7 News also mentioned Neil Balme in the interview but nothing from the club officially if they had talked with him or not.

The only thing I can take is they never intended to review Nicks himself. They extended him so he was a non negotiable. If that's the case then yes, there better be a big shake up of Assistance and List Management. And Balme, should be a non negotiable just the same. Bare minimum we need an experienced footy head in there that has been involved with finals success.

I think the club could be too scared publicly mentioning Balme after last time. They learnt their lesson (amazing from AFC) from last time. Well I hope so at least. 🤞

Last edited:
Very disappointed to hear Rowey even backing in the "Smithers Narrative"...
"They need real guidance back there & he IS an important part of that"
Christ, if the backline was following Smiths lead,
they'd all be queuing up for cheapies, blindly slapping it on the boot, spraying it out on the full, then holding a weekly apology session in the media.
No F#%#n Thanks.
It is Michalanney's backline now.

Before that Doedee.

Smithers has never really been an onfield leader.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is that going to happen though? My understanding is that we threw around a lot of coin at the end of last year to replace Rahilly and we couldn't attract anyone. As it currently sits, the AFC is not an enticing place to work. My theory is Nicks is simply not rated in the internal coaching ranks and with us looking to lay blame on our current assistant coaches to make them scape goats, we wont look good at all. We will no doubt fill our coaches box next year with newb assistant coaches who are freshly retired from playing.
Ahh, I can see if now 😶‍🌫️
Sloane, Wright, Smith🤞, McPherson, Seedsman, VB, Thommo....Roo.

Jist of the interview....finding more help for Matthew Nicks, so it appears Nicks is safe unfortunately..
Likely shake up of assistant Coaches end of year and Recruiting/List Management being closely looked at. 7 News also mentioned Neil Balme in the interview but nothing from the club officially if they had talked with him or not.
Finding additional help for the coach is the old ……we know there is a weakness there but what can we do other than support the status quo ….lets parcel it up that Nicks needs more help…..that kinda puts it to rest, and yet puts it back on everyone else.
It also means Nicks is not handling the situation well enough. Hmmmm, of course this is what these you beaut reviews do. What a wonderful management decision and step forward. Now if we can just win another game the future looks so bright. Gloom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finding additional help for the coach is the old ……we know there is a weakness there but what can we do other than support the status quo ….lets parcel it up that Nicks needs more help…..that kinda puts it to rest, and yet puts it back on everyone else.
It also means Nicks is not handling the situation well enough. Hmmmm, of course this is what these you beaut reviews do. What a wonderful management decision and step forward. Now if we can just win another game the future looks so bright. Gloom.
A poor season that instantly gets dumped on the fault of the assistants while the guy in charge gets given pass after pass after pass and talked up as if he's a multi time Premiership winning coach while he's sitting there with a winning record of like 35%.

That'll sure convince talented assistant coaches to come to the club!

It is Michalanney's backline now.

Before that Doedee.

Smithers has never really been an onfield leader.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

But, but he has been in the leadership group for 5 years.

Or are you saying the club doesn’t know the actual meaning of leadership? I guess I’ve answered my own question given they have Murphy and Milera in there as well.

I’m thinking that a couple in that leadership group are captain’s picks (Nicks).

But, but he has been in the leadership group for 5 years.

Or are you saying the club doesn’t know the actual meaning of leadership? I guess I’ve answered my own question given they have Murphy and Milera in there as well.

I’m thinking that a couple in that leadership group are captain’s picks (Nicks).

Nobody that isn't approved by Nix is in that leadership group.

Is that going to happen though? My understanding is that we threw around a lot of coin at the end of last year to replace Rahilly and we couldn't attract anyone. As it currently sits, the AFC is not an enticing place to work.
I think a big part of the problem was that there was no Senior Assistant position available, which is currently being occupied by Burns. The bigger names we approached saw what was available as a huge step sideways or down and not attractive enough to take on.

The two things to gather from this has to be that:

1. Burns should be nervous about his job, because if they are serious about recruiting talent to support Nicks (which to be honest, I have my doubts) he's got to be at or near the top of the list to make way for it.

2. If they do replace Burns, it will be someone with the aim to secure a head coaching job very soon. That's got to be very bad news for Nicks if we repeat the start to this season again, as there will be even bigger calls for him to be sacked ASAP.

Last edited:
I’ll say it again.

Nicks is an assistant, not a leader. A captain - not a general.

He needs someone above him with vision and strong, modern experience on what is needed to win a premiership.

If Nicks had the club’s best interest at heart, he wouldn’t care how it looked … what role he had … what humble pie he would have to eat.

But alas, this is AFC - we keep falling face first into mediocrity, and spend our best years lapping it up.

Our senior staff are all about themselves. Their contract, the visuals.

giphy.gif

Hopefully the assistant is promised they will get the head coach job if they have more idea than Nix... but we aren't that smart... particularly when it's obvious Nix isn't up to it & the best fix is to sack him.

Back