Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You take Rowe seriously ? ...... the guy is buffoon of the highest order

Rants 1st day back ...his normal MO now is to back-off 2 days later and go softly-softly, even though nothing's changed

5AA is an infomercial site .....all commercials with a sprinkling of sport put in to hold listeners ......he's an advert reader that's all
Doesn’t make him wrong though.

WW desert-island alone.gif

Yes, not popular being the only voice of support for a Coach, after a poor season .....

Here's a couple of points, for the thinkers:

If Nicks is so unpopular, and he has lost the players according to some posters .....why are we not seeing a mass exodus of players, as has been the accusation levelled against the Club in the past, that we have had trouble holding players ?

Damn ....why is there no discontent amongst the Crows players, like MELB, RICH, and WC ? .....don't the players at those clubs want to get out, because they don't see a short term winning future ?

2nd point .....the industry is incestuous, all club players talk ....so again, if Nicks is a poor coach, why are players coming to ADEL ....Rankine, Dawson, ANB, and it looks likely Cummings +

Strange that ......Curtin happy, Rachele staying ....albeit I didn't agree with the public admonishment of the lad

He complains a lot but refuses to lay any blame on Nick's. Hard to take him seriously if he creates excuses for the person in the main job.

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's because our issues run a lot deeper than Nicks. Getting rid of him and having the turds up top select another coach will only yield the same results.

It all comes down to Roo and the board.

View attachment 2095207

Yes, not popular being the only voice of support for a Coach, after a poor season .....

If Nicks is so unpopular, and he has lost the players according to some posters .....why are we not seeing a mass exodus of players, as has been the accusation levelled against the Club in the past, that we have had trouble holding players ?

Damn ....why is there no discontent amongst the Crows players, like MELB, RICH, and WC ? .....don't the players at those clubs want to get out, because they don't see a short term winning future ?

2nd point .....the industry is incestuous, all club players talk ....so again, if Nicks is a poor coach, why are players coming to ADEL ....Rankine, Dawson, ANB, and it looks likely Cummings +

Strange that ......Curtin happy, Rachele staying ....albeit I didn't agree with the public admonishment of the lad
Nicks isn't unpopular

He's not terrible

He's just not very good

We have cap space up the ying yang so very difficult for our players to be poached.

Means that our handful of players who'd command attention elsewhere are well looked after

And no one would want our other dudlingers

Creates the false impression of happiness.

View attachment 2095207

I don't think it's as simple as that and you know that.

Even when he's right, I'm so sick of hearing from Rowe. He's a day late and a dollar short afaic. The club is irrelevant partly because of people like him. It's been 5 years of this incompetence and the footy media is still mostly pulling it's punches. The narrative is now "Nicks under pressure" when it should be "How does this man still have a job?".

That's because our issues run a lot deeper than Nicks. Getting rid of him and having the turds up top select another coach will only yield the same results.

I agree, my concern is we sack Nicks, and it keeps enough supporters happy enough to lower the pressure on the rest of them.

The same people go to the market with the same criteria, we get Nicks 2, and the supporters are all happy enough to “give him a year to assess what he needs then make his changes” which never actually happens.

Sack the coach is an easy message for supporters to get behind, but I think if we could aim a little higher up the chain, make Kelly, Silvers, Roo or Olsen’s position untenable or a distraction and maybe we get bigger change.

That said, I guess the same applies to those hires. I just don’t think the higher ups have what it takes to hire a senior coach that is going to come in, tell it like it is and shake things up.

I agree, my concern is we sack Nicks, and it keeps enough supporters happy enough to lower the pressure on the rest of them.

The same people go to the market with the same criteria, we get Nicks 2, and the supporters are all happy enough to “give him a year to assess what he needs then make his changes” which never actually happens.

Sack the coach is an easy message for supporters to get behind, but I think if we could aim a little higher up the chain, make Kelly, Silvers, Roo or Olsen’s position untenable or a distraction and maybe we get bigger change.

That said, I guess the same applies to those hires. I just don’t think the higher ups have what it takes to hire a senior coach that is going to come in, tell it like it is and shake things up.
Are you boycotting the club financially? I don't want to hear a ****ing word about the admin needing to be removed from anyone still giving the club money.

Are you boycotting the club financially? I don't want to hear a ****ing word about the admin needing to be removed from anyone still giving the club money.

Unfair for me to claim or take credit for boycotting, not in Adelaide and membership lapsed due to lack of value.

So Smith did have a trigger in his contract and Nicks was stupid enough to gift him enough games to meet it.

Looks like Nicks finally realised Smith wasn't a big part of future and dropped him for the rest of the season but the damage was done.

This was done in year five of Nicks tenure, he is still making as many idiotic mistakes in year 5 as he did in years 1,2,3 and 4.

Do people honestly think in 2025 "well THIS season he will be better".

So Tex this morning just confirming on radio who wears the pants down there at West Lakes, him or Nicks, they asked him if his role would change i.e. playing less AFL games as he was an injury riddled old man this year and he just straight up said nah, just a couple of rests like previous years but that’s it and expects to be selected at AFL level most weeks.

Of course it was already known but further proof of just how much the tail wags the dog at this club, likely the only reason Tex hasn’t gotten his mate Roo to run beta Nicksy out the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry - but didn’t Nicks say the exact opposite of this? That Smith was a big part of our future?

Yes he did say that hence why I said he finally realised he wasn't a big part of the future - dropping him for the last 5 games.

So earlier in the season Nicks states Smith is a big part of the future, towards the end of the season even Nicks, the most moronic coach we've ever had realises Smith is well past it.

Sadly Smith has played enough games to trigger a new contract = Nicks is a moron.

Yes he did say that hence why I said he finally realised he wasn't a big part of the future - dropping him for the last 5 games.

So earlier in the season Nicks states Smith is a big part of the future, towards the end of the season even Nicks, the most moronic coach we've ever had realises Smith is well past it.

Sadly Smith has played enough games to trigger a new contract = Nicks is a moron.
Pretty sure it was late in the season nicks said he’s a big part of the future.
Edit It was between round 19 & 20

Sorry - but didn’t Nicks say the exact opposite of this? That Smith was a big part of our future?
Exactly this.
I respect your posting and I agree with your dislike of Nicks; he's gotta go.
However, the "big-part-of-our-future" statement was made on July 4, before Round 17 vs Brisbane (ie not "early in the season"), but it still shows what a mug Nicks is :thumbsu: .
Edit: Froggy:

So Tex this morning just confirming on radio who wears the pants down there at West Lakes, him or Nicks, they asked him if his role would change i.e. playing less AFL games as he was an injury riddled old man this year and he just straight up said nah, just a couple of rests like previous years but that’s it and expects to be selected at AFL level most weeks.

Of course it was already known but further proof of just how much the tail wags the dog at this club, likely the only reason Tex hasn’t gotten his mate Roo to run beta Nicksy out the club.

Tex said this year was going to be more about quality than quantity. And then proceeds to play injured most of the year and then rush back from eye surgery to have 4 disposals in the deadest of final round rubbers. All he cares about is 300 and he’ll be pushing hard at that. He won’t get there next year, but he’ll try to get to mid 290s where he can use public sentiment to get him the extra year needed.

Tex said this year was going to be more about quality than quantity.
When did he say that please? Last year or early this year? Got a link?
And then proceeds to play injured most of the year and then rush back from eye surgery to have 4 disposals in the deadest of final round rubbers.
Doesn't Burgess have final call on if someone plays, or not?
Tex has seniority and teammates' respect but I don't think he just calls the shots and gets his way, regardless.
All he cares about is 300 and he’ll be pushing hard at that.
With respect, I think that's overly harsh, unfair and bordering on cynical (my cynicism is saved for Nicks, tbh --- all he cares about is keeping his job). I don't doubt that Tex is keen to play 300 games, but does he have anything to prove as a player?
Tex is a standout, twice a Players' Association Captain of the Year and he has literally bled for the Club, year after year.
He won’t get there next year, but he’ll try to get to mid 290s where he can use public sentiment to get him the extra year needed.
Nah mate.
I don't know (ie I am not as sure as you) but if he finished up on 299 games, I don't think he'd lose any sleep over it. Not having 300 games on his resume won't change how much he has meant to the Club, well, not in my mind anyway.

Roo didnt make Nicks pick Murphy all year
Roo didnt make Nicks keep Curtin on the bench all game
Roo didnt make Nicks run with an insane game plan at the start of the year
Roo didnt make Nicks select McHenry in a non statistical shape running role integral to the game plan

Basically Nicks ****ed this year up all on his own. The only mistake the board did was extend him. By Rowie refusing to lay any blame on Nicks is overlooking the horrendous mistakes Nicks makes almost weekly which single handedly derailed this season. Blaming Roo for this and not Nicks is pathetic. Nicks ****ed up big time and the media are granting a pass under the rebuild narrative. Like come on.

So we go into 2025 with Nicks. He has 2025 and 2026 contracted but surely another 8 win season isn't tolerable. That's madness even for Adelaide.

So how many games has he got? I cant imagine he gets sacked before Round 10 unless its a truly awful record, so how long do they wait? Until we can't make finals anymore? Too late if its heading that way, can a new coach even fix it halfway through the season? Doesn't seem likely.

2025 already seems like it's on a knife's edge between finals and bust, but not just bust, a big freakin blow up.

Roo didnt make Nicks select McHenry in a non statistical shape running role integral to the game plan

Basically Nicks ****ed this year up all on his own. The only mistake the board did was extend him. By Rowie refusing to lay any blame on Nicks is overlooking the horrendous mistakes Nicks makes almost weekly which single handedly derailed this season. Blaming Roo for this and not Nicks is pathetic. Nicks ****ed up big time and the media are granting a pass under the rebuild narrative. Like come on.

I'm not blaming Roo and the board for Nicks making bad decisions.

I'm blaming them for hiring and extending him despite years of no results to show for it.

Several of these people were also responsible for Brett Burton and Adam Kelly getting the GM of football role.

Their lack of judgement is the main reason we are still a dumpster fire of a club.

If they have to pick another coach, they'll only **** that up too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back