Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Industry is silent on Nicks ....the Adelaide media is silent on Nicks ....there's your answer

If you don't know why, look deeper at the arguments presented by a wide range of figures ....just don't be a lemming though
Why would anyone in the industry weigh in on Nicks publicly?

The part about the media isn't true. They've started to turn on him. I didn't just imagine those tantrums on 5AA.

So if nicks got sacked over the off season they’d leave?
No of course not. ANd you are being silly. Nicks IS the coach, like it or not. So perhaps I should have said, they still came to Adelaide knowing that fact. You can't get away from that.

Again, nothing you've said makes out any significance whatsoever.

We've recruited more players while rebuilding. Ok. So what? Do we have the resources to get Rankine without being rubbish, both in cap and trade?

It seems you're making a very great many conclusory leaps from little more than Dawson and Rankine wanting to return home. It's an extremely small sample size.

Gonna have to just disagree with ya. We haven't recruited more players whilst rebuilding - we have recruited much better quality players over the past 36 months.

I think the fact that we have recruited Dawson, Rankine, ANB and Cumming has been one of the few positives for the club.

I know you aren't going to home games in protest at the club, but surely you can see this as a positive.

Gonna have to just disagree with ya. We haven't recruited more players whilst rebuilding - we have recruited much better quality players over the past 36 months.

I think the fact that we have recruited Dawson, Rankine, ANB and Cumming has been one of the few positives for the club.

I know you aren't going to home games in protest at the club, but surely you can see this as a positive.

Yeah, we don't agree particularly. That's fine.

Rankine was a big acquisition, Dawson a very good pick up. I don't see ANB and Cumming as being indicative of anything other than our current club's position, in terms of players we're attempting to recruit.

Have I declared I'm boycotting? Can't recall. There was a few games I lost interest in at the back end for sure. Certainly have saved some dosh by downgrading my membership for the upcoming year.

You’re half right, we are a philosophically flawed club, it’s embedded in our DNA. Reality though is that Nicks was employed because he aligned with our philosophies. The ones that don’t are spat out or leave as soon as they can.
nothing is in our DNA that is crap

its just the people running the joint at the moment

until 5 years ago we were a really sttong club. finals every two or three years and if not there was change

then something happened and we went soft and turned into a minnow

wake up afc

until 5 years ago we were a really sttong club. finals every two or three years and if not there was change

wake up afc

Making the 8 so anything can happen is one of our failure philosophies. You need sustained years in top few to genuinely compete for flags. Making the finals isn't anywhere near enough.

wake up afc
For years, as we played Finals, but failed to make the big dance ....this board continuously remonstrated the Club needed to bottom out, to have access to the best players in the Draft ....the narrative was, we were a middling club until we did bottom out

As soon as we do .....the natives don't accept the consequences .....it was a romantic ideology by supporters, but without the required patience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For years, as we played Finals, but failed to make the big dance ....this board continuously remonstrated the Club needed to bottom out, to have access to the best players in the Draft ....the narrative was, we were a middling club until we did bottom out

As soon as we do .....the natives don't accept the consequences .....it was a romantic ideology by supporters, but without the required patience

We can't even bottom out properly though :drunk:

The reason there is silence on Nicks is because he is a total irrelevant dud. 0 gravitas or profile. An ordinary coach at a vanilla club. Irrelevant to the media and wider footy industry.

We can't even bottom out properly though :drunk:

The reason there is silence on Nicks is because he is a total irrelevant dud. 0 gravitas or profile. An ordinary coach at a vanilla club. Irrelevant to the media and wider footy industry.
So Longmire, a highly regarded longstanding Coach, has 4 losing GF's by whopping margins .....is roundly criticised for choosing McDonald, and subbing him out .....for playing Blakey on a Wing, and losing drive off HB

I would suggest Nicks pales in comparison in terms of mistakes that EVERY Coach makes, or supporters believe their coaches make

Could you imagine this board, if the Longmire scenario were the Crows rather than the Swans

So Longmire, a highly regarded longstanding Coach, has 4 losing GF's by whopping margins .....is roundly criticised for choosing McDonald, and subbing him out .....for playing Blakey on a Wing, and losing drive off HB

I would suggest Nicks pales in comparison in terms of mistakes that EVERY Coach makes, or supporters believe their coaches make

Could you imagine this board, if the Longmire scenario were the Crows rather than the Swans
We won't have to worry about who Nicks selects for a GF at least.

I’d suggest people are restless because the club feels we are finished with the rebuild.
If you’re going to do it do it properly.

Well yes nicks hasn’t given himself the opportunity to make a big mistake on the big stage.
McDonald went in injured, have you not seen nicks pick Tex when he can barely move or playing lynch as sub.
Or bringing a sub on with 5 minutes to go in a game?

The club didn't have the patience required, we needed 2 more years at the bottom. Our major issue is that we have too many first round failures that aren't contributing on game day. Starts with Milera (injury riddled), then Pedlar (still hopeful) Gooch, Jones and McAsey. At a minimum we needed 2 of those to be top 10 players, but the best outcome has been a 100 game role player at half back. Trading in talent like Dawson and Rankine is meant to bridge the gap required to compete at the top end, but in our list they're making up for 5 failed first rounders over a 7ish year period.

John Longmire:
Career Coaching Record​
Games CoachedWinsLossesDrawsWin %
333208122362.5%

Mathew Nicks:

Career Coaching Record​
Games CoachedWinsLossesDrawsWin %
1063768134.9%

If Mathew Nicks coached 60 consecutive wins he'd still have a worse winning percentage. That's how shit he's been.

The club didn't have the patience required, we needed 2 more years at the bottom. Our major issue is that we have too many first round failures that aren't contributing on game day. Starts with Milera (injury riddled), then Pedlar (still hopeful) Gooch, Jones and McAsey. At a minimum we needed 2 of those to be top 10 players, but the best outcome has been a 100 game role player at half back. Trading in talent like Dawson and Rankine is meant to bridge the gap required to compete at the top end, but in our list they're making up for 5 failed first rounders over a 7ish year period.
I am not defending Nicks, saw enough of his match day coaching this year to know he is not a good coach, but Hamish Ogilvies drafting in the 2010 to 2020 period is hurting now.

You can't go 10 years without drafting an elite talent and expect success.

And those saying development is the issue, the counter is when we do bring in that elite raw talent they do well ie Michalanney, Thilthorpe Rankine and yes Rachele.

Rachele is tracking nicely as a small forward.

Unfortunately for you, that was part of my career, and consultancy .....tearing down and rebuilding cultures .....what do you think change managers do ?

Until you define it, you have no-where to start .....and damn if I'm going to waste my time trying to explain it on a forum, to someone who just won't understand, or will push back out of ignorance
Our culture at the moment includes the public flogging of a young player by senior "leaders". It includes senior players demanding selection and extending their careers when they are clearly cooked. Senior players being allowed to pick and choose training attendance.

In short, our culture is that senior players are untouchable and unaccountable.

Our culture at the moment includes the public flogging of a young player by senior "leaders". It includes senior players demanding selection and extending their careers when they are clearly cooked. Senior players being allowed to pick and choose training attendance.

In short, our culture is that senior players are untouchable and unaccountable.
Dunkley yesterday saying he'd do anything for that team, play anywhere, any role.

Berry saying they let the young players do their thing, be themselves, play with freedom and flair. We have their backs and will support them no matter what.

Meanwhile....

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back