Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
That didn't take long..

Former top AFL draft pick Fischer McAsey will make a return to footy this weekend​

A former top 10 draft pick who retired ahead of just his third season in the system will step back onto the field for the first time this weekend. Here are the details.

Former No.6 pick Fischer McAsey will make a return to footy this weekend.
McAsey, who played 10 games for the Adelaide Crows, made a shock retirement from AFL in January of 2023.
He will pull on the red, white and black of St Kilda City for the remainder of the Southern league Division 2 season, starting this weekend against Skye.
The Saints lodged a clearance to Adelaide in the final week of June and it was approved before the June 30 deadline.
McAsey went to school at Caulfield Grammar where a raft of St Kilda City’s players attended.
The 23-year-old was overseas when his clearance was lodged and approved but he returned last week.
[PLAYERCARD]Fischer McAsey[/PLAYERCARD] Picture Sarah Reed.

Fischer McAsey Picture Sarah Reed.
St Kilda City president Mel Starr said McAsey picking to play at the club was a testament to the culture Jason Hamilton has built.
“I think it speaks volumes and it’s a real credit to Hammer (Hamilton) and the environment he has created because someone of this calibre just wants to come down and play with his mates and enjoy football,” she said.
McAsey is expected to play in each of the Saints’ last four games of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That didn't take long..

Former top AFL draft pick Fischer McAsey will make a return to footy this weekend​

A former top 10 draft pick who retired ahead of just his third season in the system will step back onto the field for the first time this weekend. Here are the details.

Former No.6 pick Fischer McAsey will make a return to footy this weekend.
McAsey, who played 10 games for the Adelaide Crows, made a shock retirement from AFL in January of 2023.
He will pull on the red, white and black of St Kilda City for the remainder of the Southern league Division 2 season, starting this weekend against Skye.
The Saints lodged a clearance to Adelaide in the final week of June and it was approved before the June 30 deadline.
McAsey went to school at Caulfield Grammar where a raft of St Kilda City’s players attended.
The 23-year-old was overseas when his clearance was lodged and approved but he returned last week.
[PLAYERCARD]Fischer McAsey[/PLAYERCARD] Picture Sarah Reed.

Fischer McAsey Picture Sarah Reed.
St Kilda City president Mel Starr said McAsey picking to play at the club was a testament to the culture Jason Hamilton has built.
“I think it speaks volumes and it’s a real credit to Hammer (Hamilton) and the environment he has created because someone of this calibre just wants to come down and play with his mates and enjoy football,” she said.
McAsey is expected to play in each of the Saints’ last four games of the season.

I have a couple of mates that play for them, might go down and watch at some stage now.

I don't think this footy club is gonna be a new career
Neither do I but there is always the possibility it's a stepping stone to "higher" levels because you can bet Vic clubs will monitor him.

Last edited:
If he's playing for the love of the game then good for him. Sometimes your hobbies don't make good careers. Not sure it's so much a news story though, seems like they're using the name "St Kilda" as clickbait despite it being the equivalent of Brad Hartman fronting up for Jervois.

We just weren't working for him. I find it hard to believe that would be primarily his fault. I hope he does get back to AFL level and finds a club that can develop him (if that's what he wants).
Seemed like a shit situation all round. Probably didn't want to be here to start with. Then instead of us being able to turn his mind around, covid hit and the borders closed, his old man got sick, we were getting pumped every single week and couldn't train with a full side.

If he's playing for the love of the game then good for him. Sometimes your hobbies don't make good careers. Not sure it's so much a news story though, seems like they're using the name "St Kilda" as clickbait despite it being the equivalent of Brad Hartman fronting up for Jervois.

Seemed like a shit situation all round. Probably didn't want to be here to start with. Then instead of us being able to turn his mind around, covid hit and the borders closed, his old man got sick, we were getting pumped every single week and couldn't train with a full side.
St Kilda's training ground RSEA Park is only just up the road St Kilda City FC's training ground Peanut Farm Oval and they sport the same colours. ;):stkilda:

I hope that he can make a comeback into the AFL.

What I think about is that we picked him at No 6 and when he decided to retire from the AFL we simply lost our pick. Normally a retirement is just that. You go off into the blue yonder. But if a player decides he wants to return why isn't there any compensation to the AFC for the loss. I mean if we had been the initiator to make him leave the club then thats OK but given it was his request to leave then I believe there has to be some compensation. If not then this type of thing could be manipulated by clubs in the future. Laugh if you want but lets face it clubs do find ways to get around the rules.

I hope that he can make a comeback into the AFL.

What I think about is that we picked him at No 6 and when he decided to retire from the AFL we simply lost our pick. Normally a retirement is just that. You go off into the blue yonder. But if a player decides he wants to return why isn't there any compensation to the AFC for the loss. I mean if we had been the initiator to make him leave the club then thats OK but given it was his request to leave then I believe there has to be some compensation. If not then this type of thing could be manipulated by clubs in the future. Laugh if you want but lets face it clubs do find ways to get around the rules.
You do realise we've been the beneficiary with Keane of just that though not through a top end draft pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

News McAsey returns to football, Hmmmm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back