Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Houston's bump had the intention of knocking the ball free and making Rankine fear footsteps from then on. His intention was not to concuss him.
And that's why it's been graded as careless and not intentional. What's your point?

Yup. If we pull off anything of significance this year the story (the only story that's been told of us at all this year) will be about Kenny. The brilliant performances of a few motivated players will be completely lost. The same media boffins that laud Sam Mitchell's ability to get the most out of a pretty heretofore unheralded list, will praise Kenny for what he's done with a team pretty loaded with All Australians and high draft talent. We must have one of the least optimized game plans going around.
I wouldn’t care less, I just want a premiership, Couldn’t care less how it’s achieved, Only good things can come from winning a premiership

I'm really surprised "Penbo" and AA are outraged over something that didn't really happen. 🙄
The booing came from crow supporters when JHF received the ball.
I didn't hear booing of Rankine where I sat anyway..
Crow fans truly believe that they all kept their mouths shut after not getting a free for that bump, as if 🙄

Do we hear this level of outrage when these things happen the other way? As others have mentioned, the treatment Jay Schulz copped? When crows supporters call Todd Marshall Bruce Wayne? (you can work it out) When your radio show encourages a crows player to heap shit on Port supporters? Then you wash your hands of responsibility and put it all on others. I wouldn't boo an injured player off the field, but if you want to create a hostile atmosphere for a footy game, don't be shocked how it manifests.

Excellent call into 5aa this afternoon on the sports show during Graham Cornes’s segment think her name was Emily - great rebuttal to Penberthy on his Port bias and what really happened in the crowd when Rankine went off.

A caller to 5AA this morning said that Warren Tredrea should apologise to the whole of South Australia for his reaction to the Rankine bump (I think he said "oh yeah", or something similar). We all say things in the heat of the moment: I'm certain that Tredders wasn't delighted to see Rankine get injured.
I wondered if he’d get in trouble for that - sounded like he said “you beauty” in a Jazzalinko style, think he’s tried to now say that he said “got him”.

And that's why it's been graded as careless and not intentional. What's your point?
Point is that it was a text book bump well within the laws of the game. The AFL are too worried about the "image" of the game and have added a raft of caveats around the laws of the game.

We had the situation where if you put a hand on a players back, it was called a push-in-the-back even if you didn't push in the back, then they changed that and completely forgot about the push in the back until it made some sort of comeback this past weekend. Front on contact in marking duels is a no no yet Bergman got collected a beauty the game before last - no free kick, no report. Players get caught, they drop the ball and it's play on!

The point is that Aussie Rules is ruled by f**k wits and "experts" who love a pile on to make them seem important. How can a perfect bump be careless? He meant to bump him to release the ball and scare the shit out of him next time he went for the ball. The opponent hit his head on the ground - it is a football collision.

To answer your question, if rankine was only winded, he almost definitely would not have been suspended. Thats the
gamble you run with going with the bump. It could be fine, it could be disastrous. Either way it’s on the bumper. It’s why there is genuine debate on whether it’s even worth it anymore. I’d suggest it isn’t.

I don’t remember the McCartin incident well, but I recall it just being innocuous contact where there was no intent by Marshall.
Exactly! There was no intent on Marshall's behalf to cause a head knock but because the opponent was concussed and missed nine games, then why wasn't Marshall reported for carelessness? The bloke still ended up with concussion and as I've said with Houston, no umpire reported him. They did not report him because his bump was not illegal. The lad Rankine ended up with concussion - bad luck. If Houston had backed off and just tried to corral him, if I were his coach, I'd have dragged him. As for tackling him, why? He was ripe for the picking and Houston to that opportunity.

One of the posters here has just informed me that Houston has been charged with recklessness, not intentional. Dan's action was intentional. The AFL are slippery bastards.

I wondered if he’d get in trouble for that - sounded like he said “you beauty” in a Jazzalinko style, think he’s tried to now say that he said “got him”.
I'm pretty sure I heard Tredrea say "you beauty". Indeed, I'm pretty sure that when they played the highlights at the end of the broadcast Tredrea's "you beauty" was quite clear.

Booing must be a completely acceptable form of voicing some sort of disapproval or dislike or there is basically nothing left in this woke society we now live in to do so other than write a ****ing letter to an MP who will just put it in the bin.

Usually your MP refers your letter on to the The Minister who replies with a pro forma political statement about how well the Government is doing and how subversive you are for raising any concerns. You can then file the Minister's reply in the bin. I post this from years of experience. ;)

This probably should be in the Media Nod's Head thread but it is on topic...

At last a voice in the wilderness. Brendan Fevola supporting Dan Houston and saying the bump was not head high and any damage was incidental. Fevola finished by saying Aussie Rules is a contact sport and people will get hurt playing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/f...d/news-story/7f17ac19acff41148223d2b667843b3b

Man, imagine still being that offended after the game. I'm no Ken lover, but he didn't knock out Rankine.

It really was their grand final...
Gotta be bullshit, I can’t imagine the fraternity of head coaches is that toxic. No way Nicks said that, especially to a coach he has dealt with more than any in the past, and will continue to deal with more than any while they both lead the SA clubs.

Gotta be bullshit, I can’t imagine the fraternity of head coaches is that toxic. No way Nicks said that, especially to a coach he has dealt with more than any in the past, and will continue to deal with more than any while they both lead the SA clubs.
Reading his lips, reckon it was worse. Coulda sworn he used the c word.

Unless Nicks has seen first hand Hinkey give a directive before.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This probably should be in the Media Nod's Head thread but it is on topic...

At last a voice in the wilderness. Brendan Fevola supporting Dan Houston and saying the bump was not head high and any damage was incidental. Fevola finished by saying Aussie Rules is a contact sport and people will get hurt playing it.

So far Dan's been defended by Wayne Carey and Brendan Fevola. Maybe Gary Ablett snr would like to comment?

You'll have to squint to learn that Willie Rioli was racially abused:

456234423_922146463287445_906687011469294330_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back