Preview Melbourne Vs Sydney - Mount Buller Financial Woes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rightio, it looks like the only selection decision is who is going to sub. Who do you think it should be?

Options seems to be:

1. Wicks - high potential, off this year but can apply good forward pressure.
2. Ronke - moderate potential, slightly more switched on than Wicks with the potential to be more creative but still not great this year.
3. Bell - strong at lower grades but lacking cut through at top grade, reliable role player to run two ways and link up plays but not a whole lot more.
4. Cunningham - highest ceiling, one of our most consistent players last year but off his game this year. Versatile and can play defence, wing and half forward.
5. Ladhams - back up to Hickey if he goes down to ensure some contest with Gawn, likely to bring some physicality but also has temperament issues. Not versatile for other positions.
6. Kennedy - if he has a miraculous recovery to start his finals run of super sub roles (I can dream, can’t I?).

I’d like to know from people watching reserves.

I need to be honest, at the moment I don’t mind Bell - I feel when he has come on as sub he has done some good link up plays while not creating too much damage. The others I feel have struggled to find the pace of the game. For me it is down to Bell or Ronke.

Rightio, it looks like the only selection decision is who is going to sub. Who do you think it should be?

Options seems to be:

2. Ronke - moderate potential, slightly more switched on than Wicks with the potential to be more creative but still not great this year.
3. Bell - strong at lower grades but lacking cut through at top grade, reliable role player to run two ways and link up plays but not a whole lot more.
4. Cunningham - highest ceiling, one of our most consistent players last year but off his game this year. Versatile and can play defence, wing and half forward.
5. Ladhams - back up to Hickey if he goes down to ensure some contest with Gawn, likely to bring some physicality but also has temperament issues. Not versatile for other positions.
6. Kennedy - if he has a miraculous recovery to start his finals run of super sub roles (I can dream, can’t I?).

I need to be honest, at the moment I don’t mind Bell - I feel when he has come on as sub he has done some good link up plays while not creating too much damage. The others I feel have struggled to find the pace of the game. For me it is down to Bell or Ronke.
Campbell

Campbell is yet to reach the point where he is a damaging player just yet. Tries his guts out but hasn't cut the mustard. Has to be wicks, ronke or Cunningham. Preferably ronke. He's been the most impactful as a sub thus far. And atleast wicks brings mongrel.

If we went a defensive player it has to be Cunningham, much more accountable than Campbell at this stage.

Yep, unless he's got injury issues we don't know about, Harry seems the safest bet, most experienced, and the best all-rounder.
Harry is my choice. He fits in almost anywhere, is cool, tackles well, is now fit enough to run out the game. Requires at most one positional switch when he comes on, for example JMac injured, Ollie to wing, Harry to BP.

It’s been a long weekend this finals bye weekend!

The countdown is on and I am getting excited for Friday night!

It will be a tough, brutal game of footy.

Reckon the week off will help us reset and bring the heat we brought to Collingwood, rather than the flatness v Saints.

Think we match up well defensively with Melbourne and pose them problems with our attack.

They potentially have the edge in midfield though, so our boys will need to be on top of their game. Hickey needs to minimise Gawns influence.

When we lower our eyes and don’t bomb long we play our best footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, I think Hickey’s tendency to take the ball clean from the ruck contest will also line up well against Gawn. Let’s be honest, all the mids will be trying to read where Gawn will tap it, if Hickey takes one clean then he is most likely running into space. It’s on our mids and half forwards to adapt quickly when Hickey does this.
Hickey IMO has been figured out and I wouldn't be putting all our hopes on the smartest midfield in the comp being arrogant enough to plan only around their ruck, as dominant as he may be.

Gawn and his mids will know that Hickey wants to take possession rather than tap. So if Hickey really wants to get on top of them, he's gotta do what they're not expecting. Rather than take possession, tap it out into space so they can't even put any physical heat on him as they'll have to scramble for the loose ball. Or tap it directly to a Melbourne player and then let our mids go to work on pressuring to cause the turnover.

He has to tap more in this game and take himself out of the equation or I think it will end badly. Either he'll take first possession and just get mauled straight away by the opposition who know will pressure him for the turnover (like the Saints and Pies both successfully did). Or he will succeed in getting first possession and the clearance, but it will just be his signature hack kicks out of the middle off one step, in which case put Steven May down for 25+ disposals now.

seriously we are going to teach these nancy boys a footy lesson
Your wife must have the patience of a saint! You just can't help but stir the pot!

I do think we are going to win, but I don't underestimate the Demons at all...

Options seems to be:

Ronke probably gets it based on his efforts yesterday. Otherwise it has to be Cunningham for versatility and finals experience (plus at his best he leaves everyone bar JPK on that list in his wake), Campbell in the running as well given he can play in all 3 areas of the ground.

Main Board preview threads:

Cats Vs Pies: 536 replies

Lions Vs Tigers: 217 replies

Freo Vs Dogs: 84 replies

Demons Vs Swans: 82 replies

Is there something wrong with us?

There's a certain level of brain damage you need to post on the main board imo.

Honestly Gawn as a tap ruckman is the least of our concerns
Last time he kicked 3 goals and took 9 marks 6 of them contested. I'll guarantee 8 of his marks came from Swans kicks.

View attachment 1493182
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he's the least of our concerns when he's rucking. If he's tapping it down to the best midfield combination in the comp, that is always going to be a big concern, especially coming off two of our worst centre clearance games in months.

I went back over his marks from this game, and I was actually surprised to see that only 1 of his 9 marks came from a Swans kick (Florent being the culprit, but even then it was just a standard kick down the line, not a bad kick.) The other eight all came from forward kicks from Melbourne players, including four from Petty. He also marked four of them opposed to T. McCartin, while Ladhams was nowhere to be seen, so was presumably off the ground at these points and had a distinct height advantage over McCartin.

It suggests two things:

1. Ladhams did a very good job at nullifying Gawn from the intercepting role he is usually so dominant in if he was only able to take one intercept mark against us all night. This is something Hickey will hopefully be able to repeat.

2. We need to avoid that Gawn/McCartin match-up that will never work in our favour. I'm not sure how, and it may have to involve Reid spending more time in defence to hold Gawn accountable when Hickey is off the ground (which could be often, given Hickey is averaging just 71% TOG over the last six weeks, whilst Gawn is averaging 90% in the same time.)

Thanks, there always needs to be one you forget when you make a list.

I’d have a circular logic with Campbell. If the coaches trust him enough to be sub in a final then he is probably my first preference. If the coaches don’t trust him enough then I don’t think he is ready and he shouldn’t play - I have a question mark on his ability to match the pace and intensity of a final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back