Team Captain
Sep 12, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/07/29/1248546752955.html

Brisbane rugby league star Karmichael Hunt is reportedly set to announce he is switching codes to play in the AFL.
In what would be an unprecedented cross-code switch, the Nine Network this morning said Hunt would join the new Gold Coast AFL franchise which joins the competition in 2011.

More here: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/07/29/1248546752955.html

It'll be interesting to see if he makes it or if he'd just be delisted after a few seasons.
He'd have to drill the whole throwing the ball thing out of his system. :rolleyes:

deadright NF, the gold coast have been very smart here, not only have they got a tremendous athlete with speed, toughness and size, but they will ensure that they will get crowds, members and sponsorship with a signing such as karmichael hunt..... brilliant idea and kudos to GC17 for pursuing it :thumbsu:...... hunt could end up a fair onballer if he can grasp the kicking.... he can already take a grab, and handballing will be easier to work out

It is a very good marketing ploy.

Couple of comments. Firslty, I am pretty sure Hunt was talking up a switch to basketball a few years ago as well - We shall see if this actually happens. Perhaps his contract is coming up for renewal at the Broncos and his manager is talking up interest from rival codes.

I have seen Hunt play League a few times - I would estimate his height as around 6 foot to 6'1 max - not tall by AFL standards. Where for GC play Hunt? Hunt is very quick, but I think the intensity of the running game in AFL would shock him. Also, I think alot of rugby players have issues with the "in the back" rule when they are tackling - front on tackling Hunt would have a huge advantage, but side on tackling and from behind he would struggle. Add to that, AFL players are much less llikely to run head on in to an opponent compared to League players.

A friend of mine who works at Hawthorn was telling me that Greg Inglis (who plays for Storm) would be considered a much better candidate for a switch. The guy has an excellent kicking game, is 6'5, is quick, and has a good vertical leap.

He is 186cm and 90kg, almost perfect size for a midfielder.

According to the article he played when he was younger and was on the radar of AFL scouts as a teenager, so its not like he hasn't played the game.

Very interesting.

PB, Hunt isn't a raw convert ... apparently he played as a schoolboy and attracted some AFL scouts attention before joining the Broncos.

Don't think he'd struggle with the intensity (he'd be ahead of the majority in the AFL for his combo of strength / power / evasiveness etc.) ... the volume of running would be the main challenge (depending on role).

a solid preseason designed to get his aerobic capacity up will ensure that the volume of running will not be a problem, i see his main challenge as him being able to get his skills up to the required level

He will struggle.

The aerobic demands will really shock him. Not to mention the fact that he will have to execute kicking skills while he is at the upper limit of his aerobic capability.

He will struggle. The game has changed alot between Hunt playing junior footy in the late nineties, compared to elite AFL footy today.

We see a few basketball converts do alright, although you could argue that you probably dont need all the AFL attributes to be a ruckman. Should be interesting. Could imagine seeing Judd or Ablett doing well in rugby with their evasiveness.

How exactly do they sign him?

I don't know enough about GC17's concessions, but he's too old to be a rookie signing and he's obviously not gonna be one of those uncontracted AFL players they're allowed to steal.

Will he have to officially sign up with some QAFL club to be eligible for the draft? With the obvious corollary here being that anyone could theoretically draft him! Or will GC17 draft him with one of their concession picks in the 1st round! :eek:

Too many questions and no answers. But I'm sure Dimitriou will make sure it happens effortlessly.

No difference to the Irish boys, they don't go through the draft. Draft is only for the players already in the system, outside that you can sign anyone you want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How exactly do they sign him?

I don't know enough about GC17's concessions, but he's too old to be a rookie signing and he's obviously not gonna be one of those uncontracted AFL players they're allowed to steal.

Will he have to officially sign up with some QAFL club to be eligible for the draft? With the obvious corollary here being that anyone could theoretically draft him! Or will GC17 draft him with one of their concession picks in the 1st round! :eek:

Too many questions and no answers. But I'm sure Dimitriou will make sure it happens effortlessly.

There is a post on the main board thread which quotes the rule which allows you to do it ... basically there is a rule that if a player hasn't been a member of any Aussie Rules club (i.e. including juniors) for 3(?) years, then any club is free to sign them. Apparently several players such as O'Hailpin have been signed like this.

We could go out and sign LeBron James tomorrow if he wanted to take a small paycut.

The aerobic demands will really shock him. Not to mention the fact that he will have to execute kicking skills while he is at the upper limit of his aerobic capability.

I doubt that, he's an athlete in with the build suitable for AFL football. He's played state of origin football that has the same intensity as finals and would has performed infront of big crowds and performed under pressure.

They will give him a training program to adapt him to AFL football and fast track his skills development. I expect him to be a fine AFL player within 1 year playing AFL.

You can't compare Barra he was washed up by the time he did that but no doubt they'll have him on PRRRRR tonight relating his own experiences. Hunt will be only 24ish (plenty of time)

very interesting, to bad we have to wait until GC starts to watch him.

Max Rooke was contemplating a code switch to NRL but decided against it.

Biggest code-crossing coup since Adrian Barich joined the Western Reds
Only problem with that is that he never actually played a first grade game for them, but that hasn't stopped him getting on his soap box and slagging him off:

Hunt can't make it in the AFL : Barich
http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/hunt-cant-make-it-in-the-afl-barich-20090729-e0sc.html

"The only man to have made the switch from elite Australian football to topflight rugby league says league star Karmichael Hunt will not make the Aussie Rules cut."

erm, no he isn't the only man, because you have to have actually done it to claim the title... and I wouldn't call playing for the Eagles 40-odd games during their crap era of 1987 to 1990 "elite" either...

"Barich, who played Rugby Union until the age of 17 before switching to football, spent two years at the Reds, but did not make a first grade appearance."

thanks for playing , fatso...

NB: I'm not taking anything away from the fact that he played 200 games for the Eagles and Perth... no mean feat in anyone's language... just that it's a pretty broad jump to say that you made a successful jump from AFL to NRL, when he never actually played for the Reds. You're full of shit Barich...

Karmichael Hunt will be fine.

I see him as the Jordyn Lewis type but far more athletic...

We better get our kids onto the protein shakes before this guy runs through them

Wow.... what GC have done here is HUGE. He is a very good NRL player, has a great kicking game and makes it a point to tackle the biggest man on the ground. Very smart move by Gold coast people and I think he will make the transition quite nicely. Of course he will have to adjust his training to suit afl games but I am sure the club will have the right people in place to ensure he is up to speed. Bring your running boots special k....

On a side note, he was actually supposed to be going to Japan to play Rugby Union for big $$ so it will be interesting if that was all a cover, or if he has been convinced (for big $) to stay in qld.

Either way, good luck to him. As much as i enjoy NRL, I like AFL better and I wonder who will be next to cross codes?

Maybe you are right latro....although GC enter the reserve grades next year dont they?? You would think if they are serious about him then they would want him to be playing as much afl as possible before round one 2011.

A little off topic, but i think that someone like akka could easily make an impact in rugby union. a little slight but hard at it and super quick. And age dosen't seem as important in union as it is in oz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mid career code change

Remove this Banner Ad

Back