Player Watch Mid-Season Pick #13 (2021) - Jed McEntee

Remove this Banner Ad

McEntee was a midfielder for the local blue baggers when we picked him up and the Maggie's midfield does appear to have improved since he was dropped to the sanfl, but that is probably his level as he doesn't have the size or strength to be effective in that role at the higher level.

Bloke who hates club captain calls posters weirdos for not loving his lover boy

Ok Charlie

Apologies, I must remember to look at the BigFooty clique approved criticism list before I post.

:whitecheck: Can relentlessly criticise the club's only Brownlow medalist who has been one of its best and most consistent players for a dozen years

:crossmark: Can't criticise captain Rozee who is above all scrutiny

:whitecheck: Can constantly shitcan Charlie Dixon who has kicked more goals for the club than any other player in the past decade

:crossmark: Can't say anything bad about Hot Toddy no matter how bad his form is

:whitecheck: Can obsessively and creepily post in just about every thread about a fringe small forward picked in the mid season draft who has been dropped multiple times this year and many times throughout his career

Apologies, I must remember to look at the BigFooty clique approved criticism list before I post.

:whitecheck: Can relentlessly criticise the club's only Brownlow medalist who has been one of its best and most consistent players for a dozen years

:whitecheck: Can constantly shitcan Charlie Dixon who has kicked more goals for the club than any other player in the past decade

:crossmark: Can't say anything bad about Hot Toddy no matter how bad his form is

:whitecheck: Can obsessively and creepily post in just about every thread about a fringe small forward picked in the mid season draft who has been dropped multiple times this year and many times throughout his career
Lol this is so true.

You're stealing bales of hay from Kane and he won't be able to make anymore straw men.

I don't rate the bloke and think he's a spud. Much prefer Narkle in there and obviously Rioli when fit. Just thinking out loud trying to find a position for him in the AFL team as in the last 12 months he's only ever done well targeting Tom Stewart.
Small rebounding defender role, perhaps?
On 2nd thoughts, possibly not quick enough.
Doesn't score or provide score assists or that many tackles as a small pressure forward.
Midfield is his only position at SANFL level.
Not sure if he has a position at AFL level.

Small rebounding defender role, perhaps?
On 2nd thoughts, possibly not quick enough.
Doesn't score or provide score assists or that many tackles as a small pressure forward.
Midfield is his only position at SANFL level.
Not sure if he has a position at AFL level.
At AFL level he could easily play the unaccountable chip scab role currently designated to narkle but they prefer Jed to be used as the small lock down defensive forward. As others have said he is a mid but he is so far down the pecking order and really probably not good enough at that role in the AFL.

That’s better.

I think some of us missed this memo.

Special Todd gets caned by plenty in game day threads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to know what it is Jed was doing that was keeping Narkle out for the past 15 months? Narkle, while no world beater, has been a big improvement to the eye than McIntee.

Easy Mac has been great for the twos as a mid, his natural role and position. With the BS SANFL Rules we need to keep a few experienced campaigners around and if Jed is willing to get paid well to play twos footy I am happy to keep him at Port. However he should not be anywhere near the automatic selection he has been in the ones.

DBJ put in as good a 'defensive forward' performance as McEntee ever has on the weekend, while also contributing double figure disposals and a goal.

Every other club in the league expects their 'defensive forwards' to contribute offensively as well, why don't we?
Great question. I am hoping the bl@@dy experiment of turning midfielders into this magical defensive forward and whatever role they were supposed to do to kill their careers is over. This is not a go at Jed, but at whatever we were trying to do in the game plan.

Great question. I am hoping the bl@@dy experiment of turning midfielders into this magical defensive forward and whatever role they were supposed to do to kill their careers is over. This is not a go at Jed, but at whatever we were trying to do in the game plan.
Draft high pressure small forward to play as high pressure small forwards? Ingenious! Hopefully Tommy A and Charleson can lock this down. Do think Charleson’s scope is higher and Tommy A has a few more tricks than being quick and tenacious.

I think that Sutcliffe/Neale thing was Hinkley's true low point at the club

I agree, it was a shocker. But there's so many more to choose from. What about the Oppenheimer theme when he hasn't even seen the movie, nor bothered to get the team to watch it? That's a personal favourite

He has no physical attributes to play at the level. Narkle who is limited himself has been far better. His mythical pressure running around like a headless chook but not actually achieving anything hasnt been missed.
I'd argue that he's harder at the ball than 95% of our list. There was a string of games last year where players came off injured after contested situations against Jed. He's also got good legspeed. Problem is he isn't a natural forward and doesn't get near it nearly enough. I'd be curious to see how he went in the midfield at afl level, but unlikely it happens.

Can we just agree that he should not be coming back into the AFL side as a forward unless he proves himself as a forward at SANFL level?
You say that like we have a choice.

I'm 99% certain he'll be AFL sub this week. Evans will get a full game at SANFL level and McEntee will be called in as sub. Dixon will probably replace Georgie. They're not my calls, they're the reality of what's probably going to happen.

I think that Sutcliffe/Neale thing was Hinkley's true low point at the club

For me, it's the forcing through the co-captains thing, trashing a 150 year tradition for a club whose entire brand is built on tradition, on the promise of it helping us win more, then going on to have his worst win/loss for a season in his entire tenure.

This alone should have seen him sacked.

For me, it's the forcing through the co-captains thing, trashing a 150 year tradition for a club whose entire brand is built on tradition, on the promise of it helping us win more, then going on to have his worst win/loss for a season in his entire tenure.

This alone should have seen him sacked.

who else ya gunna get

I trust Narkle with the ball in his hands more than I do Jed, but let's not gild the lily too much. He had 7 disposals and a goal against the Bulldogs, Jed could have done that. Narkle was good against St Kilda but 2 games is not a measure of consistency.

The funniest thing about the whole Oppenheimer imbroglio was the news outlets reporting Tweets as football followers became the arbiters of nuclear morality. It's not as if Ollie said we took great lessons from the Holocaust.

I trust Narkle with the ball in his hands more than I do Jed, but let's not gild the lily too much. He had 7 disposals and a goal against the Bulldogs, Jed could have done that.
Jed has played twelve games this year and has only achieved 7 (or more) disposals and a goal in four of them, so could have he? I know 7 disposals and a goal is an extremely low bar, but old mate is still only about 33% likely on any given week to clear it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back