News Murray Davis joins as Coaching Director

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory Burns was on the radar of a a lot of head coaching roles and assistant roles.

We all have our own takes on why Nick's has failed to date, but as I said I was more looking for positives of the appointment.
He interviewed with us in 2011, but used the R word in his pitch so was no chance of getting the job after that.

I think there was a degree of not handling the expectations (it's something we've struggled with as a club since '98), but they definitely changed up the gameplan this year.
I was wondering at the time whether it was related to the loss of proven talent in defence at the start of 2024, with limited access to Murray, Milera and Butts, meant the midfield was instructed to position a bit more defensively and to be more careful about taking risks that result in turnovers, thus exposing the inexperience of Borlase, Keane, Worrell...and no Tex to straighten us up.

I was wondering at the time whether it was related to the loss of proven talent in defence at the start of 2024, with limited access to Murray, Milera and Butts, meant the midfield was instructed to position a bit more defensively and to be more careful about taking risks that result in turnovers, thus exposing the inexperience of Borlase, Keane, Worrell...and no Tex to straighten us up.
I think the reason they'd argue the gameplan didn't work was because Thilthorpe was out. Go slow, wide boundary side and try and keep it in a 50/50 contest at worst, but they expected to have Thilly as the big target down the line to take marks.

He spent the entire off-season doing nothing but preaching defense. That's how he wants us to play, it wasn't a mistake or reacting to a certain player being out, it was 100% premeditated and planned. It sucked when he did it in 2022 to minimise loses and it sucked last year when he tried it again.

I think the reason they'd argue the gameplan didn't work was because Thilthorpe was out. Go slow, wide boundary side and try and keep it in a 50/50 contest at worst, but they expected to have Thilly as the big target down the line to take marks.

He spent the entire off-season doing nothing but preaching defense. That's how he wants us to play, it wasn't a mistake or reacting to a certain player being out, it was 100% premeditated and planned. It sucked when he did it in 2022 to minimise loses and it sucked last year when he tried it again.
That’s because he sucks.

Interesting he didn’t go back to the plan when TT came back, clearly he even realised it sucked.

But those critics hey? They don’t know what’s going on internally

Remove this Banner Ad

News Murray Davis joins as Coaching Director

Remove this Banner Ad

Back