My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd definitely like to see Lynch played in defence. He hasn't impressed me at all when I've seen him playing up forward. Lots of activity, very little in the way of results - he's like a chook running around with it's head cut off. His disposal and/or decision making also tends to be iffy.

Shaw still has massive question marks over him - not over his talent, but his longevity. The kid is perpetually injured. Like you, I want to see him play at least 2 games before he is considered for H&A selection.

Can Lynch play in defence? From what I've read, he does OK when played there in the SANFL. Thompson & Otten haven't really impressed and Shaw remains doubtful due to injury. Lynch may be a good option.. maybe.

He has played there a bit for Glenelg.
I dont think he really needs to be a strong lockdown type defender, as the 3rd tall he can be a floater, 3rd man up type.

He has played there a bit for Glenelg.
I dont think he really needs to be a strong lockdown type defender, as the 3rd tall he can be a floater, 3rd man up type.
That's what I thought. I wouldn't mind seeing him given a chance to play in that position at AFL level. I don't think he's going to make it as a forward, but defence may be the answer.

Do I recall correctly a report by someone only a few months ago saying CEY was looking lazy and disinterested at training. I swear I remember that. I guess no one is gonna own up to that now... :p

B. Bling. Truck. Shaw
HB. Radar. Talia. D-Mac
C. Sloane. Thompson. VB
HF. Vince. Tex. Petrenko
F. Porplyzia. Jenkins. Callinan
IR Sauce. Dangerfield. Wright
Int. Henderson. Crouch. Douglas.
Sub. Johncock

Emerg
Smack. Otten. Martin.
I reckon that's just about right for me. The 3 emergencies you've picked are unlucky - but will get games pretty quick smart. Would have A. Riley as emergency #4 based on form.

Do I recall correctly a report by someone only a few months ago saying CEY was looking lazy and disinterested at training. I swear I remember that. I guess no one is gonna own up to that now... :p

Yep, I recall that comment being made as well.

This is why it's not a good idea to make a judgement call on a player based on a training session. Good or bad.

Here is my Rd 1 team.

B: Henderson Rutten Brown
HB: Douglas Talia Reilly
Mid: Mackay Thommo Sloane
HF: Vince Walker Petrenko
FF: Crouch Jenkins Porps
Foll: Jacobs Danger VB
Interchange: Johncock Shaw Wright
Sub: Callinan
Emergency: Martin / Lyons / L Thompson

Take 2:

B: Henderson Rutten Tambling
HB: Douglas Talia Reilly
Mid: Mackay Thommo Sloane
HF: Vince Walker Petrenko
FF: Crouch Jenkins Porps
Foll: Jacobs Danger VB
Interchange: Johncock Shaw Wright
Sub: Callinan
Emergency: Martin / Lyons / McKernan

Only 1 change for me at this stage. Really think that the bolded position is the one that is under the most pressure with Tambling/Brown/Riley/Martin competing for that one spot.
The one real weakness I see in this side is lack of ruck support for Jacobs. This will be a real problem against Essendon's strong ruck lineup - with Ryder/Bellchambers/Hille...

I think McKernan may just start round 1 on the Interchange (move Shaw to back pocket and take tambling out) - but I will wait to see what happens in rd 2 of the NAB Cup.

I like the calls of Lynch as a defender. Did i hear correctly when we recruited him he often racked up the disposals in the VFL, whilst playing defence? Whilst Lynch is not quick, he is a good reader of play for the third tall defender spot. I can see Lynch able to drop in front of the forwards and set up some play from the back half. Normally a good kick and decision maker when he does not think about it too much.

I like the calls of Lynch as a defender. Did i hear correctly when we recruited him he often racked up the disposals in the VFL, whilst playing defence? Whilst Lynch is not quick, he is a good reader of play for the third tall defender spot. I can see Lynch able to drop in front of the forwards and set up some play from the back half. Normally a good kick and decision maker when he does not think about it too much.

I reember this coming up last year. Info from Saints board was that he continually played well in defence at vfl level, but when promoted he was always expected to play forward. In this regard a number of posters thought he was mismanaged.

Strange how the same thing happens here. Plays in defence for the Bays and well, but alway cast as a fwd for the Crows.

Bizarre really. :confused:

You are correct in saying teams aren't based solely on talent. Unfortunately the rest of your post (and Footypie's notion that Riley is ahead of Vince) is complete B.S.

Vince is an absolute lock in for Rd1 if he is available. He played 20 games (including the 3 finals) under Sando and is easily best 22 based on talent / performance last year.

People need to realise that different players on our squad will treat preseason differently. A player like Vince (or any other member of our top 18 players who played 19 or more games last year) treat the preseason as a warm up. They are trying to get the body right, slowly work up to the pace of AFL footy again. They are not trying to prove anything.

On the other hand you have players like Riley / Lyons / Kerridge / McIntyre / Otten / CEY / McKernan / Lynch / Johnston who need to treat preseason differently. These guys are playing for their AFL careers.

And seriously we need to stop with this gold pass crap. Players do not get gold passes. A player like Vince - plays because he is a very good footballer and we don't have a player who is better that can take his spot.

Since this is your first post in reply to what I have written I will do the decent thing and at least reply once, in spite of the "B.S." comment.

In any professional sport there are minimum fitness requirements that need to be met, the AFL is no different, and no player is exempt regardless of the differences in how players are treated because the competition certainly won't show any mercy. Now Vince has played only a very minor role in our pre-season games so far, this may be for the reason you have stated where the better players ease into the season (highly likely) or it may be that he doesn't have the fitness required to play a whole game just yet. The difference is that I'm willing to acknowledge it as a possibility independently of how remote it may be, and I don't consider it taboo to select another player in the meantime based on form.

And since you have decided to also go down the route of trying to prove Vince's credentials, when I've never made it a point of contention, I'll supply the following quotes to spare myself having to repeat what I have already written enough times.

No one is doubting his talent.

What's so astonishing about that? Vince is coming back from shoulder surgery, if we had to pick a team now it wouldn't be a surprise if he missed out, primarily due to a lack of fitness. Like I said earlier no one is doubting his talent.

Based on talent alone I'd have Vince clearly in our best 22, and I believe he'll be there come round 1, and I want that to be the case.

I'd definitely like to see Lynch played in defence. He hasn't impressed me at all when I've seen him playing up forward. Lots of activity, very little in the way of results - he's like a chook running around with it's head cut off. His disposal and/or decision making also tends to be iffy.

Shaw still has massive question marks over him - not over his talent, but his longevity. The kid is perpetually injured. Like you, I want to see him play at least 2 games before he is considered for H&A selection.

Can Lynch play in defence? From what I've read, he does OK when played there in the SANFL. Thompson & Otten haven't really impressed and Shaw remains doubtful due to injury. Lynch may be a good option.. maybe.
To be fair Shaw is being conservatively managed, is doing full training and could have played at a pinch

Given our PS games campaign really only starts this weekend i hardly think Shaw is at any disadvantage over any of the other players who haven't yet played ....Thompson, Sauce, and Rutten

Outsiders view and from watching NAB and knowing a bit about your side but probably one of my worst sides.

It looks like Wright, Danger and ST are the 3 prong starting onballers although you havnt had Sloane play much yet. Id say Vince, VB and Mackay will fill one wing, one HBF and one bench position (unless Vince is gonna play a HFF?) but he seems to play more of a defensive wing type position at the moment.

Tambling - Rutten - S.Shaw

Vanberlo -Talia - Reilly

Mackay - ST - Vince

Sloane - Walker - Petrenko

Porpz - Jenkins - Callinan

Jacobs - Danger - Wright

Crouch, Douglas, Martin
Sub: Henderson

Im not sure why Petrenko is being left out of so many sides, is he injured badly or something i might not know about as an outsider but think hes very important to play a defensive HFF tag. Henderson can replace him and offer a bit more height him and Petrenko will be hard to split them even when both are fully fit.

Kerridge probably next in line for me for a sub position.

Brodie Smith wouldnt be far away from playing R1 either would he and kicking Tambling out.

I know I mentioned him getting a Rev up from Sando for not being switched on.

Also brought up by Sando himself when asked in the media conference last week...

You want to question the guy who runs their training?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure why Petrenko is being left out of so many sides, is he injured badly or something i might not know about as an outsider but think hes very important to play a defensive HFF tag. Henderson can replace him and offer a bit more height him and Petrenko will be hard to split them even when both are fully fit.

Kerridge probably next in line for me for a sub position.

Brodie Smith wouldnt be far away from playing R1 either would he and kicking Tambling out.
Petrenko has been injured and Sando is quite rightly not playing anyone who even has a niggle. Sloane and possibly Pets would have played last weekend if it were an H&A game and not a mickey mouse pre-season game.

Smith has a broken collarbone and won't be available until R4 at the earliest. Fingers crossed he kicks Tambling out. :D

Looks like Martin as a defender has been done away with.

Still waiting on Jaensch as a defender, Johncock as a forward and Henderson as a defender to be shelved.
Martin as a small forward might be worth persevering with.
Jaensch as an AFL footballer isn't worth persevering with.
I think Johncock will play this year as a small forward, then retire.
I think Hendo has a bit to offer, preferably further up the ground.

I concur.

I like the look of Martin. Just a simple solid footballer. Don't think he'll be a star, but will certainly be a very solid contributor.

Looks like Martin as a defender has been done away with.

Still waiting on Jaensch as a defender, Johncock as a forward and Henderson as a defender to be shelved.

Sad thing about that, if he could actually defend he would play 22 games a year.

I don't see a spot for him on the wing or half forward line, unless he takes Callinan or Petrenko spot from last year.

Lynch - Rutten - Tambling
Mackay - Talia - Reilly
Henderson - SThompson - Sloane
Petrenko - Walker - Vince
Porpz - Jenkins - Callinan
Jacobs - Danger - Van Berlo
Douglas, Wright, Lyons
Sub: Martin

We have quite a few small forwards to chose from. Callinan, Porplyzia, Petrenko, Wright (yes goes through midfield but you'd assume Martin would as well). Tough to find room for him. And I think Hendo is perfectly suited to play Wing. Maybe not this season but I think with another 20 games this year he could star next season there.

We have quite a few small forwards to chose from. Callinan, Porplyzia, Petrenko, Wright (yes goes through midfield but you'd assume Martin would as well). Tough to find room for him. And I think Hendo is perfectly suited to play Wing. Maybe not this season but I think with another 20 games this year he could star next season there.
Which begs the question of where to fit Martin into the team... or how? He's only marginally better than Jaensch at defence, which is to say useless as distinct from completely and utterly useless. As a midfielder he's 18 or 19 deep in the pecking order. Where does that leave him (and his 2-year contract)?

Which begs the question of where to fit Martin into the team... or how? He's only marginally better than Jaensch at defence, which is to say useless as distinct from completely and utterly useless. As a midfielder he's 18 or 19 deep in the pecking order. Where does that leave him (and his 2-year contract)?

Injuries. This thread is purely hypothetical. There will barely be a week where we put are "best" team on the park. Martin and Riley will play plenty of footy this year even if they are just plugging gaps.

Reilly.....Rutten....Brown
Mckay....Talia.......Hend
Sloane....S.Th......V.B
Doug.....Tex........Vince
Callinan...Jenk......Porply
Jacobs..Danger..Wright
Pets...Bling.....Stiffy
Sub...Crouch
Emerg...Martin...Lynch...Kerridge

Bling deserves a go he has been the best small defender through the Mick Mouse Cup
Reilly Vince Douglas should be leaders not the INCONSISTENT'S
Brown will take time I hope he doesn't watch the inconsistent s play or he could turn out like them
Tippett got MAULED last season, Get ready TEX it,s your TURN

Reilly.....Rutten....Brown
Mckay....Talia.......Hend
Sloane....S.Th......V.B
Doug.....Tex........Vince
Callinan...Jenk......Porply
Jacobs..Danger..Wright
Pets...Bling.....Stiffy
Sub...Crouch
Emerg...Martin...Lynch...Kerridge

Bling deserves a go he has been the best small defender through the Mick Mouse Cup
Reilly Vince Douglas should be leaders not the INCONSISTENT'S
Brown will take time I hope he doesn't watch the inconsistent s play or he could turn out like them
Tippett got MAULED last season, Get ready TEX it,s your TURN

Can't wait to see Jenk and Porply this year. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back