My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

all those of you putting Tambling in defence, please watch the replay of the Saints game yesterday and then punch yourselves in the face

Correct Weight! :thumbsu:

Tambling is a natural laxative for Crows supporters. Place him in defence and watch your fellow supporters shit themselves whenever he has the ball.

The only way he will play is if we have a run of injuries, this was a massive selection blunder esp considering his salary. Which is ironic as if we didnt have him, we could have offered Skirt more money.

Correct Weight! :thumbsu:

Tambling is a natural laxative for Crows supporters. Place him in defence and watch your fellow supporters shit themselves whenever he has the ball.

The only way he will play is if we have a run of injuries, this was a massive selection blunder esp considering his salary. Which is ironic as if we didnt have him, we could have offered Skirt more money.
I as much as anyone called for his delisting .....and it would have been well deserved

But like any new season ...players improve and others go backwards

From what i saw he has definitely changed his game since last season ......he's actually taking the game on instead of playing safe with every disposal and giving a 20mtr pass off.

He's kicking much longer and you have to see whether the new approach translates to the main season .......he's always had the talent, but his problems have been in his head

After todays clash against Freo, this is my round 1 team based on form as well as talent. Also taking into account injuries...

FF: Callinan - Jenkins - Porplyzia

HF: Martin - Walker - Douglas

C: Sloane - Wright - Henderson

HB: Mackay - Talia - Reilly

FB: van Berlo - Rutten - Shaw

1R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Thompson

INT: Crouch - Curly - Riley (S) Johncock

After todays clash against Freo, this is my round 1 team based on form as well as talent. Also taking into account injuries...

FF: Callinan - Jenkins - Porplyzia

HF: Martin - Walker - Douglas

C: Sloane - Wright - Henderson

HB: Mackay - Talia - Reilly

FB: Van berlo - Rutten - Shaw

1R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Thompson

INT: Crouch - Curly - Riley (S) Johncock

No Bernie Vince? There is 0% chance of Riley being in the side ahead of Vince.

No Bernie Vince? There is 0% chance of Riley being in the side ahead of Vince.

This side is fluctuating. It will probably change several times before the season starts. CEY for example, will almost definitely miss out, but based on form ATM he's in.

Bernie and Pigdog are polar opposites. Vince has talent to burn, but doesn't seem to give 100% every week. Riley isn't the most naturally talented player, but gives everything he's got every time he steps on the field. I guess we'll wait and see what Sando prefers when the season begins...

Is Vince's position in the team really being questioned by some? Wow.

What's so astonishing about that? Vince is coming back from shoulder surgery, if we had to pick a team now it wouldn't be a surprise if he missed out, primarily due to a lack of fitness. Like I said earlier no one is doubting his talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Otten, Rutten, van Berlo
HB: Mackay, Talia, Reilly
C: Smith, Dangerfield, Douglas
HF: Petrenko, Walker, Vince
F: Wright, Jenkins, J.Porplyzia
R: Jacobs, Sloane, S Thompson
I: McKernan, Couch, Henderson
Sub: Johncock
Out: Smith (injured)
In Doubt: Petrenko (no game time), Otten (form)

Likely Ins: Martin/Callinan for Petrenko, Tambling/Martin for Smith, Lynch/CEY for Otten.

B: Reilly - Rutten - Shaw
HB: Tambling - Talia - Mackay
C: Sloane - Thompson - Martin
HF: Vince - Walker - Porplyzia
F: Johncock - Jenkins - Crouch
1R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Wright
I: van Berlo - McKernan - Henderson
S: Douglas
E: Callinan, Riley, Ellis-Yolman

Just a bit of a stab now that we've played a few matches, not that you can draw a heap of conclusions at this stage. Some very hard decisions to be made, with some very unlucky players.
- Petrenko I feel may need to start the year in the magoos, unsure exactly where he's at injury wise, but the fact that he hasn't been able to perform so far puts him well behind the 8 ball. I think he'll begin by fighting with Riley and Crouch for the hard nut small forward come midfielder role.
- I think there's a spot for one of Johncock or Callinan as our small forward. Personally I just think Johncock is the far more likely to stand up in big games, has a yard more pace and isn't a hobbit... Tough in Callinan, but we're a Top 4 side, decent-good often isn't enough.
- Tambling I think has done enough to earn a spot, he's probably only just in the side but I think we do need a more defensive small forward and with a few games under his belt, he'll start to minimise those horrible shanks.
- Shaw for me is a no brainer. Last year I saw a guy step up into AFL football having played next to no footy for 2 years and just look like he belonged. Sure there was a couple of brain-fades, but he is a guy you persist with and just get into your side. Hopefully will be fit in time. No one yet has really demanded his spot. If he's not up, I'd almost go Thompson or even Ellis-Yolman.
- Otten has been a massive disappointment, finished the year in extremely promising style, but just doesn't look right out there. Is slow and just doesn't look switched on. Not sure defense is his best spot either.
- Martin by the sounds played a blinder today, just has that run and carry, break the lines that we need so drastically.
- Crouch I think will be given the defensive small forward role, with some stints through the midfield. I think we'll rotate our midfield heavily through the forward line.
- I really want to maximise Jenkins time up forward, for mine he's a key forward who happens to be tall enough to ruck, so I wouldn't be relying on him in there. Can really do that something special and will quickly start drawing that 2nd/3rd defender away from Walker.
- McKernan, at least for much of the year gives Jacobs a decent chop out in the ruck and can allow Jenkins to develop as a forward. We need to manage Jacobs load throughout the year and running with only Jenkins as back up doesn't leave us a heap of options.
- Henderson to play as a bit of a swingman.

disgusted to see wright on the interchange in some of the earlier posts...

Whats wrong with that? The 80's/90's finished a long time ago, starting on the interchange just means that you're part of the midfield rotations, nothing more, nothing less. Most guys are on the ground within about a minute anyway.

What's so astonishing about the that? Vince is coming back from shoulder surgery, if we had to pick a team now it wouldn't be a surprise if he missed out, primarily due to a lack of fitness. Like I said earlier no one is doubting his talent.
But we aren't picking a team now because it's still pre-season. Round 1 is still a month away and he played a half today. I don't see any reason as to why he shouldn't be fine come March 22nd.

But we aren't picking a team now because it's still pre-season. Round 1 is still a month away and he played a half today. I don't see any reason as to why he shouldn't be fine come March 22nd.

Footypie's post where here picked his team explicity stated that he was taking form into account, therefore Vince can reasonably be excluded.

And I stated that regardless of form Vince is an automatic selection for round 1.

If a player can't run out a game he isn't an automatic selection, he's a liability, or a sub at best. Take for example Johncock frpm last season, an extremely talented player yet he still had difficulty getting selected because of form/fitness.

If a player can't run out a game he isn't an automatic selection, he's a liability, or a sub at best. Take for example Johncock frpm last season, an extremely talented player yet he still had difficulty getting selected because of form/fitness.
Like I said before Vince has a month until round 1. If he isn't fit enough by then after half a game today then there's something seriously wrong there.

Stiffy is past his best and is our oldest player. This was always going to happen to him (being the SUB a lot and being on the fringe of team selection).

What's so astonishing about that? Vince is coming back from shoulder surgery, if we had to pick a team now it wouldn't be a surprise if he missed out, primarily due to a lack of fitness. Like I said earlier no one is doubting his talent.
He's got another 3 weeks to get fit

Like I said before Vince has a month until round 1. If he isn't fit enough by then after half a game today then there's something seriously wrong there.

Stiffy is past his best and is our oldest player. This was always going to happen to him (being the SUB a lot and being on the fringe of team selection).

So what are you basing your argument on? Is it that form/fitness doesn't matter or whether we shouldn't be basing our team selections on current form? If it's the former; no player is imune to being dropped if his form is dismal enough. If it's the latter, well then that's just a matter of opinion. As for Stiffy, his drop in form was too great to be solely attributed to age, there was also talk of injury and lack of fitness, besides he's not that old.

Remove this Banner Ad

My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back