My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the support fabs33, but please don't go banging your head against the wall on my behalf.

Everyone is intitled their opinion. Some think he is a walk up start, were as I've been waiting since 2007 for Vince to become the player he could be. Perhaps he'll play a blinder next week and be included in my now infamous side.

So what are you basing your argument on? Is it that form/fitness doesn't matter or whether we shouldn't be basing our team selections on current form? If it's the former; no player is imune to being dropped if his form is dismal enough. If it's the latter, well then that's just a matter of opinion. As for Stiffy, his drop in form was too great to be solely attributed to age, there was also talk of injury and lack of fitness, besides he's not that old.
Form and fitness always matter.Bernie has been one of our better players over the past 5 or so seasons. Yes he has his poor games (like every player) but he never gets dropped because he's one of our leaders/best players. He would need a big dip in form to get dropped.

Besides, this is pre-season. If he's fit for round 1 (no matter his form) he'll be in the team. We should all realize this surely.

Thanks for the support fabs33, but please don't go banging your head against the wall on my behalf.

Everyone is intitled their opinion. Some think he is a walk up start, were as I've been waiting since 2007 for Vince to become the player he could be. Perhaps he'll play a blinder next week and be included in my now infamous side.

Most think he's a walk-up start mate.

I would think Luke Thompson impressed many in the big shiny offices of AFC with his cameo's in 2012 and may well get some chances come 2013 - if not he is on his way - raw but effective - very cool on the big stage - don't count him out for more appearances this season.

Can't see how people have Crouch in the forward lines for the crows. I think he kicked 1 goal in the SANFL last year. Great kid but needs time. Will not be in the crows best 22 yet.

Can't see how people have Crouch in the forward lines for the crows. I think he kicked 1 goal in the SANFL last year. Great kid but needs time. Will not be in the crows best 22 yet.

Will be in the 22 by the end of the preseason.

Needs to be used like the Eagles used Gaff in his first year. Sub most weeks but played nearly every game. Kid is a star had 15 disposals at near 100% DE in the first half today. His clearance work and handball out of congestion is supurb.

Hasn't shown his run and carry game yet but just wait till he picks up the pace of the game. It took him a few weeks with West as well but looks fantastic running and bouncing down the wing and spreading from the pack. Can do it all - will play.

Jaensch Rutten Otten
Reilly Talia Mackay
Sloane S.Thompson Henderson
Vince Walker Johncock
Porplyzia Jenkins Martin

Jacobs Dangerfield van Berlo

Douglas Mckernan Vince (s) Crouch

Emg - Tambling, Brown, L.Thompson, Riley, Lyons, Callinan

Inj - Smith, Petrenko, Shaw

Hardest calls for me
Jaensch over Brown/Tambling - if Matty can be as sound defensively as the other two he is a weapon bringing the ball out of defence, good signs today. Could easily change by next week.
Martin over Riley/Callinan - pace skills versatility Martin has it and i love him in the side. Been good up forward when given a chance. Also offers run and carry which we lack at times.
Otten over L.Thompson is borderline as well.

5 to 6 spots up for grabs by my reckoning.

My team at this point of time, assuming everyone is fit to go

B. Bling. Truck. Shaw
HB. Radar. Talia. D-Mac
C. Sloane. Thompson. VB
HF. Vince. Tex. Petrenko
F. Porplyzia. Jenkins. Callinan
IR Sauce. Dangerfield. Wright
Int. Henderson. Crouch. Douglas.
Sub. Johncock

Emerg
Smack. Otten. Martin.

Some key points
1. Tambling is not yet a lock in, Brown and Matty J are very much in the dog fight for the small defender spot
2. If fit Shaw is in front of Otten, Shaw's debut season was remarkable considering his run of injuries under the previous regime whilst Otten has not returned from injury the player that he was in his debut season, Otten has lost freedom in his movement almost to the point he looks like that he has cement in his boots. Otten needs to get his body right first and the rest will follow
3. Martin can consider himself extremely unlucky and would be next in line if Petrenko or Porplyzia are not fit for round 1
4. Laird and McIntyre not considered as they won't have an opportunity to be upgraded unless we suffer a long term injury

Following on from my previous post, my apology to Pig-Dog and he probably makes my emergency list by replacing Otto, I would love to get Pig-Dog into our round 1 side and I would not be surprised if Pig-Dog is in our best 22 come season end

Form and fitness always matter.Bernie has been one of our better players over the past 5 or so seasons. Yes he has his poor games (like every player) but he never gets dropped because he's one of our leaders/best players. He would need a big dip in form to get dropped.

Look, teams aren't selected based solely on talent, it's far more complex than that. Based on talent alone I'd have Vince clearly in our best 22, and I believe he'll be there come round 1, and I want that to be the case. Since Footypie32 made it clear that his team was based on form, talent and injuries, I find it entirely plausible that Riley might be ahead of Vince at this moment in time considering that Vince has been behind in his preparation due to the surgery he had. What I don't agree with is the idea that Vince would have a gold pass despite all other circumstances just because he's talented, especially when there are so many young players pushing for a spot in the team.

Besides, this is pre-season. If he's fit for round 1 (no matter his form) he'll be in the team. We should all realize this surely.

You're too fixated on round one, form is current, which means now.

Anyway that's enough about Vince, I'm moving on.;)

Injuries aside, Brad Crotch will play round 1 as a midfielder starting on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Otten ~ Rutten ~ Reilly
HB: Mackay ~ Talia ~ Shaw
C: Smith ~ Dangerfield ~ van Berlo
HF: Douglas ~ Walker ~ Vince
F: Wright ~ Johnston ~ J. Porplyzia
R: Jacobs ~ Sloane ~ S Thompson
I: McKernan, Couch, Henderson
Sub: Kerridge

Players next in line: Jenkins, Petrenko, L Thompson, Jaensch, Brown, Lynch, Lyons, Martin, A Riley, Graham.

Players not selected and only use in case of emergency: Callinan, Johncock, Tambling.

Rest will be wait and see how they develop.

That's 35 players leaving 8 or 9 to develop without any added pressure.

Revised line up 24/02

B: Brown, L ~ Rutten ~ Reilly
HB: van Berlo ~ Talia ~ Otten
C: MacKay ~ Dangerfield ~ Crouch
HF: Douglas ~ Walker ~ Vince
F: Wright ~ Jenkins~ J. Porplyzia
R: Jacobs ~ Sloane ~ S Thompson
I: McKernan, Martin, Henderson
Sub: Johncock

Players next in line: Kerridge, Johnston, Petrenko, L Thompson, Jaensch, Tambling, Lynch, Lyons, A Riley, Graham.

Still don't see Richard Tambling playing round 1 but he is moving into contention. Saying that, he still has 2 pre season games to play his way out of contentions.

Early days but from the prelim final team, I'm guessing

Outs - Tippett, Doughty, Thompson, Smith
Ins - Jenkins, Tambling, Talia, Riley.

In doubt imo, would be Callinan with Lyons/Crouch breathing down his neck.
Replace Riley with Crouch for the INs and that's how I see it as well. Callinan will play round 1.

I really like Hartigan in the first two NAB and triaql games this year. Has size is relatively quick and is quite football smart. I think will be great defender for us. Will go well against the big guys like Buddy etc. He is a real steal

That would sound more convincing if you got his name right.

Thats called a "Freudian Slip". Every time he mentions Crouch something happens to his crotch!! :D

I expect Sando to once again adopt a safety first selection policy this year so the best indication of our Round 1 team is our Preliminary Final team last year.

Out - L. Thompson, Otten, Tippett, Doughty and Smith

In - Shaw, Talia, Jenkins, Riley and Crouch

Hopefully there will be no more injuries. If Petrenko is not ready then Martin comes in. If Shaw is not ready then Otten comes in.

Look, teams aren't selected based solely on talent, it's far more complex than that. Based on talent alone I'd have Vince clearly in our best 22, and I believe he'll be there come round 1, and I want that to be the case. Since Footypie32 made it clear that his team was based on form, talent and injuries, I find it entirely plausible that Riley might be ahead of Vince at this moment in time considering that Vince has been behind in his preparation due to the surgery he had. What I don't agree with is the idea that Vince would have a gold pass despite all other circumstances just because he's talented, especially when there are so many young players pushing for a spot in the team.
.;)

You are correct in saying teams aren't based solely on talent. Unfortunately the rest of your post (and Footypie's notion that Riley is ahead of Vince) is complete B.S.

Vince is an absolute lock in for Rd1 if he is available. He played 20 games (including the 3 finals) under Sando and is easily best 22 based on talent / performance last year.

People need to realise that different players on our squad will treat preseason differently. A player like Vince (or any other member of our top 18 players who played 19 or more games last year) treat the preseason as a warm up. They are trying to get the body right, slowly work up to the pace of AFL footy again. They are not trying to prove anything.

On the other hand you have players like Riley / Lyons / Kerridge / McIntyre / Otten / CEY / McKernan / Lynch / Johnston who need to treat preseason differently. These guys are playing for their AFL careers.

And seriously we need to stop with this gold pass crap. Players do not get gold passes. A player like Vince - plays because he is a very good footballer and we don't have a player who is better that can take his spot.

I expect Sando to once again adopt a safety first selection policy this year so the best indication of our Round 1 team is our Preliminary Final team last year.

Out - L. Thompson, Otten, Tippett, Doughty and Smith

In - Shaw, Talia, Jenkins, Riley and Crouch

Hopefully there will be no more injuries. If Petrenko is not ready then Martin comes in. If Shaw is not ready then Otten comes in.
I don't know about a "safety first" selection policy. The usual policy adopted by the AFC is "best available 22" - and has been since the club's inception, with very few exceptions (usually after the club is out of the running for the finals, or is already assured of finals and is playing a lowly rated opponent).

That said, it's hard to argue with many of the changes you've suggested. Tippett, Doughty & Smith are all definite outs; Jenkins and Talia are both definite ins - and I believe Crouch is as well. That leaves Thompson & Otten vs Shaw & Riley. I think that only one of Thompson, Otten & Shaw will play - but right now I have no idea which. Shaw is the incumbent, but he's also short of match practice due to injury and isn't senior enough to justify selection without a few games under his belt. I wouldn't rule Riley out entirely, but I think we're more likely to see Tambling, Jaensch or Brown - fingers crossed it's Brown, because I have no time at all for either Tambling or Jaensch.

I think you're probably right with your Petrenko/Martin call.

I don't know about a "safety first" selection policy. The usual policy adopted by the AFC is "best available 22" - and has been since the club's inception, with very few exceptions (usually after the club is out of the running for the finals, or is already assured of finals and is playing a lowly rated opponent).

That said, it's hard to argue with many of the changes you've suggested. Tippett, Doughty & Smith are all definite outs; Jenkins and Talia are both definite ins - and I believe Crouch is as well. That leaves Thompson & Otten vs Shaw & Riley. I think that only one of Thompson, Otten & Shaw will play - but right now I have no idea which. Shaw is the incumbent, but he's also short of match practice due to injury and isn't senior enough to justify selection without a few games under his belt. I wouldn't rule Riley out entirely, but I think we're more likely to see Tambling, Jaensch or Brown - fingers crossed it's Brown, because I have no time at all for either Tambling or Jaensch.

I think you're probably right with your Petrenko/Martin call.

Dont know if Shaw is a walk up. Get him a game or two at the Bay first i think.

I'd play Lynch in that role. He is more more versatile then either Otten or LT

Dont know if Shaw is a walk up. Get him a game or two at the Bay first i think.

I'd play Lynch in that role. He is more more versatile then either Otten or LT
I'd definitely like to see Lynch played in defence. He hasn't impressed me at all when I've seen him playing up forward. Lots of activity, very little in the way of results - he's like a chook running around with it's head cut off. His disposal and/or decision making also tends to be iffy.

Shaw still has massive question marks over him - not over his talent, but his longevity. The kid is perpetually injured. Like you, I want to see him play at least 2 games before he is considered for H&A selection.

Can Lynch play in defence? From what I've read, he does OK when played there in the SANFL. Thompson & Otten haven't really impressed and Shaw remains doubtful due to injury. Lynch may be a good option.. maybe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back