My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Last time I checked, Neil Craig wasn't at the Adelaide Crows any more and until Richard Tambling is actually selected to play for the Crows, he doesn't have a very good current history of representing the club, therefore he will be a very good player for Sturt.

So because something has been so in the past it will be the same in the future? Not always.

Tambling will win a spot through good form in the NAB cup and have a good season in the afl.

So because something has been so in the past it will be the same in the future? Nice logic.

If what you say is the case, you won't have any problem convincing me I am wrong?

My logic is sound because from all account Tambling has an outstanding 2011/12 pre season under Brenton Sanderson and then had a knee injury that cuased him to miss the first week of the NBA cup. His second (or was it third) game, he has a stinker and only managed to play just over 1 quarter and then only managed to play 1 game for 6 possessions. This is Sando second pre season and Tambling would have had a number of players move in front of him with only Symes and Knights leaving the club. This means that he would not have made that big of an indent of the pecking order.

If he could not break into the team after having a good pre season and good enough form to win a SANFL B&F - I can not see where his improvement will come from to allow him to gain another opportunity. Unless we get some injuries

If what you say is the case, you won't have any problem convincing me I am wrong?

My logic is sound because from all account Tambling has an outstanding 2011/12 pre season under Brenton Sanderson and then had a knee injury that cuased him to miss the first week of the NBA cup. His second (or was it third) game, he has a stinker and only managed to play just over 1 quarter and then only managed to play 1 game for 6 possessions. This is Sando second pre season and Tambling would have had a number of players move in front of him with only Symes and Knights leaving the club. This means that he would not have made that big of an indent of the pecking order.

If he could not break into the team after having a good pre season and good enough form to win a SANFL B&F - I can not see where his improvement will come from to allow him to gain another opportunity. Unless we get some injuries

Opportunity - 2 spots opened up with Doughty retiring and Smith going to the midfield.

Hardness/Contested efforts - much improved Sando says he now plays the way he needs to.

Pace, Skills, Experience - all very desirable in our young defence.

We shall see i'm backing him in.

Whose midfield role is Smith going to take?

And I imagine Crouch will take johncock half forward spot and johncock will replace Doughty.

Still don't see a position for Tambling

And I imagine Crouch will take johncock half forward spot and johncock will replace Doughty.

Could be fighting Johncock for a spot in defence agreed. Don't think Sando has faith in Johncock down back anymore though. Prefers Reilly in the mop up roll and Stiffy is too loose to lockdown on a small forward.

We are also likely to get a couple more injuries this year. Smith will slot in somewhere. Too good not to play in the middle. Wright and Thommo might spend a little more time up forward pushing Callinan out.

Surely Tambling is gone. It is hard enough trying to squeeze every small/mid you think deserves a game into the 22 as it is.

He had his window - the 2011 season after McLeod had vacated the half back line. That was his chance, needed to grab his opportunity and let his confidence grow from there. He/we f***ed it up.

Now he's the same low-confidence wreck he was at Richmond.

Im with Paladin on this one, big call still, but I cant see that a spot has to OPEN up for him, I can see him simply forcing another player out. I was bemused several times last season when his SANFL form seemed superior to others who were given a game but I believe someone reported that Sando said on 5AA that Bling has had a lot of trouble picking up the crows game style (which is how it appeared when you watched him), if he's been studying it and working on it over the last year and now has sando's seal of approval I cant see why he wont be in.

Have we had any other experienced midfielders join us recently? If not then there's no other case to compare to - perhaps our style is really hard to learn!?!?

Forget the Tippett article is the sunday recycler ... the Bickley article mentioned tht the Crows are looking to do more on-field rotations this year. I mentioned that I think Callinan will be a depth player as I believe we will look to rotate more midfielders through the forward line. We may also look to do the same through defence with VB, Smith, Otten. Wiill be interesting to watch from round 2 of the NAB how we treat the 20 rotation limit.

He's there for one reason alone - the AFC gave him a 3-year contract when they traded for him. Were it not for the fact that he was contracted for 2013 then he would have been gone at the end of 2012.
I like it how you always think you're right Vader. But given your history of getting things so so wrong, I'll take this with a grain of salt. At worst he would have been offered a one year contract, given he won Sturt's B&F and was on the pile of unlucky players Sando mentioned throughout the season.

Im with Paladin on this one, big call still, but I cant see that a spot has to OPEN up for him, I can see him simply forcing another player out. I was bemused several times last season when his SANFL form seemed superior to others who were given a game but I believe someone reported that Sando said on 5AA that Bling has had a lot of trouble picking up the crows game style (which is how it appeared when you watched him), if he's been studying it and working on it over the last year and now has sando's seal of approval I cant see why he wont be in.

Have we had any other experienced midfielders join us recently? If not then there's no other case to compare to - perhaps our style is really hard to learn!?!?
Also, something Vader is failing to comprehend, is that when Sando talked about Tambling recently, he did it off his own accord. Cornesy and Rowey didn't ask him directly.

He then mentioned the thing about the game plan you mentioned, which is probably why he struggled to break in last year despite good SANFL form. There is simply no doubt he'll see plenty more footy this year, and most likely that will be from round 1.

Also, something Vader is failing to comprehend, is that when Sando talked about Tambling recently, he did it off his own accord. Cornesy and Rowey didn't ask him directly.

He then mentioned the thing about the game plan you mentioned, which is probably why he struggled to break in last year despite good SANFL form. There is simply no doubt he'll see plenty more footy this year, and most likely that will be from round 1.
I'm sure he was talked about off Sando's own bat last year too, when he was "king of the boxing ring". As for whether his new-found understanding of our game plan translates to more AFL games, only time will tell. I sincerely doubt it.

Good on you though for keeping the (blind) faith.

I like it how you always think you're right Vader. But given your history of getting things so so wrong, I'll take this with a grain of salt. At worst he would have been offered a one year contract, given he won Sturt's B&F and was on the pile of unlucky players Sando mentioned throughout the season.
I sincerely doubt that he would have been given a new contract based on last year's performance, even allowing for him winning Sturt's B&F. The fact that a 100+ game player spent long enough in the SANFL to win the B&F is a strong indictment on his standing on the AFC pecking order.

Many of the media commentators were expecting Tambling to be the one who got delisted, instead of Joyce, when the Tippett schemozzle forced us to delist an extra player in order to qualify for the draft. Tambling's 2013 salary (compared with Joyce's) is almost certainly the only thing which saved him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possible inclusions for most likely NAB games, T McIntyre in Callinan's spot, Lewis Johnston the third forward and Crouch running around everywhere. As far as Round 1 goes who can tell but hopefully we have some options to fill all positions with confidence and flair - we will hopefully see Lyon play some good games in 2013.

So, will we play Jacobs, Jenkins and McKernan? We favoured 3 talls last year. We will show the same approach this season? Do you play JJ and Smack at CHF or FF?

I cant see both JJ and Smack in the 1 teams. If we went three talls i wouldve thought Lynch or Johnstone would be the other.

I cant see both JJ and Smack in the 1 teams. If we went three talls i wouldve thought Lynch or Johnstone would be the other.
I think it will depend on the conditions & the opponent - but IMO, there is room for both McKernan & Jenkins in the same team. I would like to see them both rotated through CHF & FF (with Tex) & ruck (with Jacobs - who needs more non-rucking periods this year) & also stints in the backline.

Smith on a wing ....great wingmen at this stage.

Will be surprised if Johncock goes back this year ......think they'll groom Brown, Kerridge back there
Still like Van Berlo off a HB Flank and Shaw on the other HBF

Hopefully Brown gets first go at the BP

I think it will depend on the conditions & the opponent - but IMO, there is room for both McKernan & Jenkins in the same team. I would like to see them both rotated through CHF & FF (with Tex) & ruck (with Jacobs - who needs more non-rucking periods this year) & also stints in the backline.
Yes BUT IMO Jenkins has to really own a forward position on performance for McKernan to get a gig IMO

Can't see us carrying 2 average possession getters in the same forward line unless one is dominating

Agreed, if the weathers bad you'd just go in with the two, I just don't think Jenkins ruckwork is good enough to provide adequate support to Jacobs in normal conditions. We also have to ensure we don't burn Jacobs our with a high ruck workload early in the year.

It could probably be work that Jacobs and McKernan share ruckwork 50:50 up until halfway through the 3rd, where we sub off McKernan for an extra runner and allow a relatively fresh Jacobs to go hard for the last quarter or so and hopefully smash a tiring opposition ruck.

Yes BUT IMO Jenkins has to really own a forward position on performance for McKernan to get a gig IMO

Can't see us carrying 2 average possession getters in the same forward line unless one is dominating

If Jenkins fails to own his forward position, I could see him dropping out in favour of McKernan who is the far superior ruck and either Johnston or Lynch as the other tall.

However I am quietly confident Jenkins will have no trouble holding down a KPF post.

If Jenkins fails to own his forward position, I could see him dropping out in favour of McKernan who is the far superior ruck and either Johnston or Lynch as the other tall.

However I am quietly confident Jenkins will have no trouble holding down a KPF post.
I agree, but can Jenkins do it for the whole minor round plus finals? ......not sure he can, that's why we need both McKernan and Johnston playing well to provide options

Sorry to intrude guys but i'm always bang up for a best 22 discussion. Whatever team it is. Here's my go at at Adelaide's

BACKS: Smith - Rutten - Shaw

Otten stiff but i could only fit one of him and Shaw

HALF BACKS: Crouch - Talia - Reilly

Brown and Crouch both spending time off half back during games

WINGS: Van Berlo (tagger) - Mackay

CENTRE: Scott Thompson

Cant see the midfield core 6 getting shifted around much

HALF FORWARDS: Douglas - Johnston - Johncock

CHF was a tough position to pick. Lynch and Henderson to put pressure on LJ at selection as lead up CHFs
Johncock and Petrenko fighting for one starting spot. Needs Douglas and Johncock to be accountable to make it work

FORWARDS: Porplyzia - Walker - Jenkins

Walker becomes arguably your most important and valuable player. Cant afford to lose him and I'll be interested to see how he goes getting the best defender game in, game out. No Tippett to chop him out anymore

FOLLOWERS: Jacobs - Sloane - Dangerfield

Standard set up here. If all are firing i cant see daylight breaking into that starting centre square 4 with Thompson

INTERCHANGE: Wright - Will develop more and become an AFL known player, not just SA known
Brown - I like Brown and hope he gets plenty of chances in 2013. Similarities to Doughty are there
Vince - Coming on early in quarters for fresh legs. Think he could be a dangerous midfield and hff rotation player
Petrenko - number one defensive forward at the club

Unlucky ones

Otten
Henderson
Lynch
Jaensch
Callinan
McKernan / Graham

Walker becomes arguably your most important and valuable player. Cant afford to lose him and I'll be interested to see how he goes getting the best defender game in, game out. No Tippett to chop him out anymore
I'm more worried about the effect of Tippett leaving on Jacobs than Walker. Tippett was IMO a significantly underrated ruck and even more significantly overrated forward. Jenkins should be able to fill the gap at FF, and McKernan may be serviceable in the ruck, but this scenario means we need two players to replace one. Could hurt our gameplan a bit, particularly if it necessitates leaving out a Henderson or Johnston.

Nice educated analysis though.

I believe someone reported that Sando said on 5AA that Bling has had a lot of trouble picking up the crows game style (which is how it appeared when you watched him),

I took Sando's comments on Tambling to be a coaches diplomatic way in saying he was just never hard enough at the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back