My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, but can Jenkins do it for the whole minor round plus finals? ......not sure he can, that's why we need both McKernan and Johnston playing well to provide options
I agree, we are better off playing both Jenkins & McKernan for most games & Johnston/Lynch also to get some opportunities.

I agree, we are better off playing both Jenkins & McKernan for most games & Johnston/Lynch also to get some opportunities.
really unconvinced on Lynch as a forward ....open minded as a defender though

really unconvinced on Lynch as a forward ....open minded as a defender though

I think he's okay as long as you don't expect him to be a contested marking, KP forward. He's more of the Chris Knights, hard working, uncontested accumulator type who gets to the right spots through hard work and reading the play better than his opponent. Problem is he's not particularly quick, nor does he have a particularly long leg and we have a heap of options for his position.

I'm more than open to trialing him in defense, even in a qtr-back style role. He reads the play well and is an accurate kick, setting up the play well.

I think he's okay as long as you don't expect him to be a contested marking, KP forward. He's more of the Chris Knights, hard working, uncontested accumulator type who gets to the right spots through hard work and reading the play better than his opponent. Problem is he's not particularly quick, nor does he have a particularly long leg and we have a heap of options for his position.

I'm more than open to trialing him in defense, even in a qtr-back style role. He reads the play well and is an accurate kick, setting up the play well.

Agree........My memory of Lynch's games is he always seems to have kicked a couple of goals (usually from smart positioning). I know the sample is probably insufficient but I would like to see his rate of goals per forward playing minutes compared to others.

We now need a replacement for Smith in Round 1.

FB: Otten Rutten Reilly
HB: Shaw Talia VanBerlo
C: McKay Thompson Henderson
HF: Johncock Walker Porplyzia
FF: Vince Jenkins Douglas
R: Jacobs Dangerfield Sloane
B: Wright Lyon Callinan (Petrenko)

I bring in Lyon for Smith, with Tambling on stand by if Sam Shaw and Bernie are no good.

B: Tambling Talia Reilly
HB: Mackay Rutten L Thompson
C: Sloane Van Berlo Wright
HF: Douglas Walker Porplyzia
FF: Lyons Jenkins Henderson
R: Jacobs S Thompson Dangerfield
Int: Johncock Lyons Riley (Vince)

Vince is sub to ease him back in after an interrupted pre-season...and so he doesn't slack off.

B: Tambling Talia Reilly
HB: Mackay Rutten L Thompson
C: Sloane Van Berlo Wright
HF: Douglas Walker Porplyzia
FF: Lyons Jenkins Henderson
R: Jacobs S Thompson Dangerfield
Int: Johncock Lyons Riley (Vince)

Vince is sub to ease him back in after an interrupted pre-season...and so he doesn't slack off.

Interesting that you have Thompson ahead of both Shaw and Otten?

Interesting that you have Thompson ahead of both Shaw and Otten?
I'm not keen on rushing Shaw back with his extensive injury history. From what I've watched of yesterday thus far Thompson was streets ahead of Otten, and while that is a small sample space its all I've really had to go on thus far.

EDIT: Otten improved markedly in the second half of the Port match, whereas Thompson was less visible.

I think 3rd tall will be one of the most fought for positions when Round 1 arrives, as I think LT and Otten are fairly close and have distinct pros and cons.

I think this will leave Shaw and Lynch out of the picture, though Lynch played well as a quarterback.

all those of you putting Tambling in defence, please watch the replay of the Saints game yesterday and then punch yourselves in the face

Agreed. He was pretty bad in that first game. He did improve in the second game but was he playing in defence against Port? I could have sworn he was moved up the ground more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. He was pretty bad in that first game. He did improve in the second game but was he playing in defence against Port? I could have sworn he was moved up the ground more.

yes - his panicking and shanked kicks are a lot less dangerous up the ground. Ideally he would be in the fourth row with the cheer squad.

I'm not keen on rushing Shaw back with his extensive injury history. From what I've watched of yesterday thus far Thompson was streets ahead of Otten, and while that is a small sample space its all I've really had to go on thus far.

EDIT: Otten improved markedly in the second half of the Port match, whereas Thompson was less visible.

I think 3rd tall will be one of the most fought for positions when Round 1 arrives, as I think LT and Otten are fairly close and have distinct pros and cons.

I think this will leave Shaw and Lynch out of the picture, though Lynch played well as a quarterback.

Fair points, I think Otten is a bit smarter with the Football and has less brain fades then Thompson.
Post recon Thompson may be a bit more mobile though.

I do like Lynch at that spot down back. Hes a good size and is mobile. Also has the ability to work off an opponent well.

Shaw does need to string some games together agreed.

i always panic when Otten gets the ball, he always is so slow by mind and foot to do something with it. i will be watching him closely though to see if he can develop a sense of urgency over the next few pre-season games, otherwise i think Shaw might slip into the third tall role. when he's fit...

Brown Rutten Otten
Reilly Talia DMack
Vince Dangerfield Sloane
Hendo Jenkins Stiffy
Porps Tex Wright

Jacobs Thommo VB

Douglas, Riley, Lyons, sub Martin

this is based on Otten, Brown, Riley and Lyons getting good game time in the NAB and playing well.

Brown, Rutten, Otten
Reilly, Talia, Mackay
Vince, Thompson, van Berlo
Petrenko, Jenkins, Porplyzia
Callinan, Walker, Henderson

Jacobs, Dangerfield, Sloane
Wright, Douglas, Johncock, S: Crouch

Not really sure that's our best team, in fact I think there are a couple of positions that will be in constant flux ie third tall defender, and the small forwards and defender. Plus Smith missing of course, and hopefully there's no more of that coming.

However, that's how I currently think we'll line up round 1.

This was my take on things a month or so ago.
B Shaw - Rutten - Johncock
HB Reilly - Talia - Smith
C Sloane - Thompson - Martin
HF Crouch - Henderson - Lyons
F Porplyzia - Walker - Wright
1R Jacobs - Dangerfield - van Berlo
INT Otten - Mackay - Jenkins - (Kerridge)
EMER Riley - Vince - Jaensch

Not Selected
Tambling, L Thompson, Johnston, Graham (!), Brown, Siggins, Atkins, Petrenko, Douglas (!!), Lynch, Ellis-Yeomans, McKernan, Callinan, Grigg, Joyce
Now that we've seen a little bit here's Take 2.

INS
Unfortunately Captain Douglas will be in. I'll have to accept that.
Vince - slow start to the season but Sando loves him, and with good reason
Riley - cannot be ignored

OUTS
I like Shaw but if he is starting under a cloud we may want him to string a few games together first
Smith - waah :(
Kerridge moves from Sub to Emergency list

New Team
B Otten - Rutten - Reilly
HB Mackay - Talia - Martin
C Sloane - Thompson - Vince
HF Crouch - Henderson - Douglas
F Porplyzia - Walker - Wright
1R Jacobs - Dangerfield - van Berlo
INT Lyons - Riley - Jenkins - (Johncock)
EMER Kerridge - Ellis-Yeomans - Callinan

Not Selected
Tambling, L Thompson, Johnston, Graham (!), Brown, Siggins, Atkins, Petrenko, Lynch, McKernan, Jaensch, Grigg, Joyce

Obvious issue is that our defence is thin. Only six defenders (including Martin). Could Vince be used across half back? Can't see Johncock playing there unfortunately. Brown or Tambling in? Who for? Or perhaps the genuine bolter - Ellis-Yeomans :eek:

Also would be surprised to see Callinan miss out given his elevation to the senior list plus 39 goals last season. Again, who for?

I'd hate for Crouch, Riley, Lyons to be squeezed out though that's where the smart money would be. Callinan + Brown/Tambling in for two of those three would be the 'safe' option. Hope we don't do it.

Porps has done much more in his AFL career, including matchwinning performances against quality. His only issue is his shoulder.

Porps shoulder isn't an issue at all. He played 22 games last year. Lets not forget he did it in round 1 of 2011 (almost 2 years ago now).

I really don't understand why this 'Porps is injury prone'. Excepting 2011 when he did his shoulder - he has played 18 games in 2008, 24 in 2009, 19 in 2010, and 22 in 2012.

Here is my Rd 1 team.

B: Henderson Rutten Brown

HB: Douglas Talia Reilly
Mid: Mackay Thommo Sloane
HF: Vince Walker Petrenko
FF: Crouch Jenkins Porps
Foll: Jacobs Danger VB
Interchange: Johncock Shaw Wright
Sub: Callinan
Emergency: Martin / Lyons / L Thompson

Next in Line and will need injuries to play more than 4-5 games: Otten / Riley / Mckernan / Kerridge / Tambling / Jaensch / Lynch / Johnston /McIntyre

Will not play more than 1-2 games this year - CEY / Joyce / Grigg / Atkins / Siggins

Obviously Smith is out injured so I have replaced him with Brown at this stage - however would not be surprised at all if that spot goes to Brodie Martin. This is the weakest position and is most up for grabs.

I think for us there are several fringe players who have make or break years - Mostly Otten / Martin / Mckernan / Tambling. Each one will need to play at least 15 games this year to keep a spot on our list next year. Otten has been on our list for 4 years and is still living on borrowed time from a great 2009 season - however 21 games over 2011 / 2012 won't cut it. Similarly Martin is in even more trouble - this will be his 5th season on our list and he has only played 16 games. McKernan has a bit more time being a KPP - however if he doesn't show something and one of Johnston / Graham / Lynch do - then his position is in big trouble......

Should be a very interesting year - particularly considering how young we are... Only 9 players on our entire list have played over 100 games. Our list is in very very good shape.

Early days but from the prelim final team, I'm guessing

Outs - Tippett, Doughty, Thompson, Smith
Ins - Jenkins, Tambling, Talia, Riley.

In doubt imo, would be Callinan with Lyons/Crouch breathing down his neck.

Remove this Banner Ad

My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back