NAB Cup Round 1 vs Geelong & Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives:

Stanley
Saad
Ledger
Cripps showed a bit as well.

A lot of boundary work. Looks like its going to take some time to get used to the new gameplan and when to bring it back into the corridor.
Stanley showed a bit. A hand in 2 goals and a nice set shot at the end.
Looking more like a footballer than a basketballer and Saad lively , impressive first go.
Ledger really busy , a lock for R1. Roo plucked a few looked good. Big Ben winning hitouts.
Great to see Lenny out there. Wilkes looked a bit lost.
It wasn´t pretty, basically Sydney did what the wanted but it´s the NAB cup so it´s a hit out.

Thought Steven looked good as well but his kicking really let him down.

He was like that at times last year, he is busy around the ground and can find the ball but tends to butcher it at times. Just needs to have a bit more composure when he kicks, tends to hurry it a bit.

Feel I saw more of the younger players, almost like the seniors were hardly spotted even though they were there.

Midfield was largely inexperienced through out the match, with only a little help from Lenny.

Wilkes didn't wow me, kicking was dodge, as was his decision making. Hopefully Simpkin gets a run.

Newnes seemed like he struggled with the pace a little. Which is to be expected.

Skills were lacking, and we just weren't attacking the 50 with any smarts. Sydney were hunting like crazy too.

Stanley and Riewoldt were ok individually, but i feel we need another marking target down there, hopefully Siposs starts in game 2.

Was Simpkin playing?

Don't think so, hopefully he gets a go against Geelong at full back. Not convinced about Wilkes at full back, he competed hard but was a bit loose at times and his kicking was shakey too.

Our defence is a bit of a worry with Dawson gone and Gwilt still out injured, I guess we still have Mr Reliable Jason Blake who can hold down a key defensive post if needed.

Positives:

Stanley
Saad
Ledger
Cripps showed a bit as well.

A lot of boundary work. Looks like its going to take some time to get used to the new gameplan and when to bring it back into the corridor.

I'm not too sure about Stanley, the ball was kicked to him when he was on the wing numerous times, and he either didn't get to the ball on time or dropped the mark. however, he was more involved in this game than in preivious years. (He also got a statistic in every DT related stat.)

and to add to your list:
Kosi (marked well.)
Steven (played well)
glad to see voldt kicking a goal and not 6 behinds
most of our players played well (as individuals). just need to improve on the game plan.

Im a bit concerned about Goddard though, looked very average.
it felt like wilkes was playing fishers 2011 role(The average version), when he was meant to be defending.

Expect to see improvement from the saints over the coming weeks.

I'm not too sure about Stanley, the ball was kicked to him when he was on the wing numerous times, and he either didn't get to the ball on time or dropped the mark. however, he was more involved in this game than in preivious years. (He also got a statistic in every DT related stat.)

and to add to your list:
Kosi (marked well.)
Steven (played well)
glad to see voldt kicking a goal and not 6 behinds
most of our players played well (as individuals). just need to improve on the game plan.

Im a bit concerned about Goddard though, looked very average.
it felt like wilkes was playing fishers 2011 role(The average version), when he was meant to be defending.

Expect to see improvement from the saints over the coming weeks.
I thought Stanley got better as the game went on. Had a case of the fumbles early but still managed to get it out to Milne who kicked a goal, got to more contests and he looks a decent kick for goal as well.

Bit disappointed with the centre set-up. To see Macca get the tap forwards to an unmarked Sydney player was pretty annoying. Maybe the inexperience that was mentioned in another post? The 2 lads (Newnes and Ross) were out of their depth against an experienced outfit.

Not sure what happened with the back six - seemed to get sucked up the ground easily and outrun on the way back. Wilkes over-kicked the ball a couple of times, but didn't appear to blow up (got a little better as the game progressed after a poor start where he couldn't get body contact on anyone).

Obviously happy with Rhys and Square. Nice to see Lenny and Roo involved (although when we started struggling we kicked it to him every time). BJ had a horror!

Fox Footy are all over it - Archer is evidently a new face along with the draftees.

Don't think Wilkes should be at FB, I think Wilkes should be moved to FF with Simpkin at FB

Agree, would like to see Simpkin at full back at Wilkes up forward in the 2nd game. I'm assuming either Kosi or Riewoldt will have a spell.

Would be good to see us go a bit more direct into our F50 too rather than going wide to the boundary.

I thought Stanley got better as the game went on. Had a case of the fumbles early but still managed to get it out to Milne who kicked a goal, got to more contests and he looks a decent kick for goal as well.

And stripping Goodes of the ball which gifted a goal to Saad? Tough crowd (maanco!). Two shots on goal and two goals assists in a shortened game where we played a poor second half and got Riewoldt conscious again.

But Kosi played well? Spent more time "on the ground" than I would have liked.

But Kosi played well? Spent more time "on the ground" than I would have liked.

At least he was subbed, subbing Kosi is the way to go IMO. Thought it should've been done more last year.

Stanley definetely better than Walsh for them (1 kick 1 handball). Gilbert not very competitive against Reid who is set to become one of the premier CHF´s.
Hopefully we see Simpkin at FB and give Wilkes a run up foward. A bit more of Sipposs this game. Anyone notice Riewoldt starting on the wing for a few centre bounces. Interesting..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One things for sure any contact to Kosi is allowed no matter how far away the ball is.

I did notice that Kosiarms got taken and then got taken high but received doughnuts (we got a free for something else 2 secs later). Very, very stiff not to get that one.

Totally unrelated to what we're talking about but that was terrible use of replay by that umpire. "Might as well have a look at it" is rubbish because the goal umpire had the perfect view of it.

EDIT: I guess noone else is watching. :cool:

Apparently Riewoldt and Lenny won't be playing the 2nd game, not all that surprising.

Would be good to see Stanley and Wilkes given a go up forward in Riewoldt's absence.

Geelong looked pretty good in their game against Sydney so we will have our work cut out beating them, hopefully the fact we've had a rest might work in our favour.

Totally unrelated to what we're talking about but that was terrible use of replay by that umpire. "Might as well have a look at it" is rubbish because the goal umpire had the perfect view of it.

EDIT: I guess noone else is watching. :cool:
What happened to the 70 cameras FoxFooty were spruiking on opening night? On top of umpires hats and in their pants all that? The cameras they had were beyond useless.

Most of the contentious issues that need reviewing are on the goal line, but hey lets only have cameras on the wing!

What happened to the 70 cameras FoxFooty were spruiking on opening night? On top of umpires hats and in their pants all that? The cameras they had were beyond useless.

Most of the contentious issues that need reviewing are on the goal line, but hey lets only have cameras on the wing!
Yeah all the angles they used were terrible. You think it would be common sense to have a goal line camera.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup Round 1 vs Geelong & Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back