NAB Cup Squads: Port V Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Mahoney behind

P 17.12
B 8.8

Sounds like White was playing on his usual flank in the first half when he kicked 3 goals. Sounds like he is at CHF now

********, bad news about Tredders, but he is the fittest, strongest bloke in the club, and I am tipping him back for Round 1!!

All the rest sounds great.......Cant hear a god dam thing over here:mad: , so can only read what is being written.......is Surj playing?

eddie_vrv6 said:
Another win under the belt, handy having some good form going into Rounbd 1

Without Tredder’s ********!

The NO# 1 jersey is becoming a curse. Anyone doing any reviews?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sandola said:
So, we're still letting them back in at the end of big wins. Oh well, as long as we've now got a midfield and a forward setup.

That's a bit harsh. 35+C out there, some pretty tired players by the end.

Ford Fairlane said:
That's a bit harsh. 35+C out there, some pretty tired players by the end.
Yeah no. Joke.
I'm delighted, really. There are going to be some very surprised pundits this year, I think. It'll be fun watching them all slowly come around.

Was Thomson given a good run in the middle? Impressive?

Sandola said:
Yeah no. Joke.
I'm delighted, really. There are going to be some very surprised pundits this year, I think. It'll be fun watching them all slowly come around.

Was Thomson given a good run in the middle? Impressive?

Don't be snippy ... knew you were kidding :p .

Was hard to tell with the rotations that kept going. Saw Thommo get some slick touches under pressure and laid a couple of impressive tackles. He gets a good run in the centre square. In field play he occasionally now seems to be caught a bit betwixt and between with whether to kick or handball ... you can see the handball is the instinctive give.

So Brisbane were pretty much full-strength then, right? To be honest I am surprised we did so well against them.

What do you think are the main factors, Ford?

Did we win the midfield, and if we did that is a very impressive feat against the likes of Black, Akermanis, Voss, Lappin etc.

I thought we put a lot of pressure on with our tackling. We got numbers around the ball especially across half back and while some handball was overdone there were some very good releasing reflex gives that set them running. And we weren't afraid to hit the top of the square or into the hot spot inside 50 even if there wasn't a perfect lead. A number of time it was just a matter of putting to the advantage of a forward one out. And once White (and Thurstans) held a couple of contested grabs - and Motlop, he's strong overhead too - the confidence grew. And we hit targets pretty well.

It was a fairly strong Brisbane line up - but no Black, Johnson, one or two others. Brown played pretty much the whole game. Leppitsch started at FF. Voss I didn't see much of, he wasn't worked too hard. Lappin played most of the game - was tag team tagged, Symes semed to have him most of the second half. Aker played a fair chunk of the game. I think our workrate in the centre square and the number of options with different types of player made life hard for Brissie.

Ford Fairlane said:
I thought we put a lot of pressure on with our tackling. We got numbers around the ball especially across half back and while some handball was overdone there were some very good releasing reflex gives that set them running. And we weren't afraid to hit the top of the square or into the hot spot inside 50 even if there wasn't a perfect lead. A number of time it was just a matter of putting to the advantage of a forward one out. And once White (and Thurstans) held a couple of contested grabs - and Motlop, he's strong overhead too - the confidence grew. And we hit targets pretty well.

It was a fairly strong Brisbane line up - but no Black, Johnson, one or two others. Brown played pretty much the whole game. Leppitsch started at FF. Voss I didn't see much of, he wasn't worked too hard. Lappin played most of the game - was tag team tagged, Symes semed to have him most of the second half. Aker played a fair chunk of the game. I think our workrate in the centre square and the number of options with different types of player made life hard for Brissie.
A good summation, cheers.

Some positive signs, by the sounds.

Yeah, I guess you can't get carried away by a trial game. But it was their workrate when they didn't have the ball and willingness to tackle, two, three four times in a row if necessary that impressed me. Individual skills and team patterns are pretty variable things especially in trial games, but hunger for the ball is a constant. And if you have that and show your willingness to work hard non-stop you can break other teams' spirit. It was a hallmark of Cahill sides.

I think you could make that case if we had run over them in the last part of the last quarter, but we took control of the game in the third quarter, after an extended halftime break, when White took some good marks, and Toby finished off some good work upfield too. It would have been easy for them to drop their heads after Tredders went off, but key players who needed to lift did and that was a good sign.

Our young guys did us proud today. They all stood up and performed well. Choco couldnt of asked anymore from them today. They went out and gave their all and fought to the very end.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup Squads: Port V Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back