NAB Rd 2 AFC vs GFC Sat Mar 2 - Wonder who'll be in the squad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some of our best 22 havent even cracked it for a game yet, surely they have to come in and surely we will start to bed the side down a bit. We should start to get an idea of who the selectors see as the realistic options for best 22 soon, which is a bit of a pity considering how well some of the kids are going.

Who do you think will be in / out?

With how we're approaching this pre-season.
I think Thompson, Rutten and Jacobs will get full games.
Sloane, Dangerfield will get partial games.

I think we might rest the likes of Wright, Tambling.
But yeah, can't predict really. It comes down to minutes.

I think it will be our core squad maybe minus one or two , plus E-Y, Couch, Kerridge, Aiden Riley.

A hit out to get some match time into the core group.

Well, which is it? The core squad or the core group? :p

Well, which is it? The core squad or the core group? :p

Well you know there is this thing called a synonym, but since it is a 7 letter word with only one vowel it isn't widely known:p ....

And I hope everyone knows the core group of VB, Thomo, Danger, Sloane, Jacobs, Walker, Talia, DMac, Stiffy, Vince, Radar, Henderson, Wright..... most should get a game. Into this we will see some new additions, I think JJ is making the transition in and by seasons end Stiffy may be fading out. He looks supremely fit and I hope he returns to top form, but by the end, I fear wear and tear might take their toll. We might see Martin get a chance to cement a more regular spot.....

I tend to agree that perhaps one or two might be rested as per the post I liked above. It also depends on how Vince's return is coming along, I would think any niggles after this practice match and he is rested, but if 100% fit he will need game time.

I think we will take this hit out a bit more seriously in terms of looking out for performers. If Tambling does get a game it could be make or break. With his experience, he should not be making bad decisions so this game could be a defining preseason game.

I think Sando will be trying to consolidate a best 18, find the players who round out the 22 and those who deserve 1st crack if a spot opens up.

I want to see more of Riley, Crouch, Lyons and E-Y.

I also hope to see a stronger performance out of defence.

When you try to reduce the squad to 24 as it will be, it's a real challenge. Players who have had good pre-seasons could well miss out, if all the regulars are brought back into the side. I doubt whether Petrenko will be risked this week, so I've had a crack at who I think will be in the 24 excluding him, on the basis that all the other regulars are chosen

The players in the "Next in Line" list are not in order. Rather they would be slotted into the squad where one of the regulars isn't playing on the basis of suitabilty for that role.

F: Callinan Walker McKernan

HF: Porplyzia Jenkins Douglas

C: Mackay Thompson Sloane

HB: Reilly Talia Tambling

B: Brown Rutten Otten

R: Jacobs Dangerfield Wright

I: Vince, Crouch, van Berlo, Henderson, Riley, Johncock

Next in line: Ellis-Yolmen, Martin, Lyons, Jaensch, Luke Thompson, Hartigan, Petrenko (might not risk his shoulder this week).

It's impossible to put them all in, as you'll find if you give it a try.

Good Luck. :)

Next in line: Ellis-Yolmen, Martin, Lyons, Jaensch, Luke Thompson, Hartigan, Petrenko (might not risk his shoulder this week).

It's impossible to put them all in, as you'll find if you give it a try.

Good Luck. :)
We're not going to play Jacobs, Jenkins and McKernan in Round 1. I wonder when the club will make up its mind? Perhaps another week with all three.

From your outs I'd like to see CEY Lo Green, Martin and Lyons in.

Outs: Any three out of Douglas, Tambling, Otten, Brown, Douglas, Johncock or Douglas. Or two if they've decided on the ruck/talls situation.

I don't expect us to play our Round 1 team until the Carlton match. I would therefore expect a number of the "fringe" players to be "rested" this week but I wouldn't read too much into this.

Players who have played most of the first two weeks who may be rested include Talia (although he still seems to be finding his feet this year), Brown, Jaensch, Riley, Jenkins, McKernan, Wright, Crouch, Tambling, Kerridge, Lyons, Henderson and Otten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No that's exactly the side i'd pick .....have to see how McKernan & Jenkins work in the same forward line together
That has me very nervous

Wonder if they'll rest matt wright, he's clocked up a fair few minutes of gametime already so far this preseason.

Edit - whoops AFGM already beat me to it.

We're not going to play Jacobs, Jenkins and McKernan in Round 1. I wonder when the club will make up its mind? Perhaps another week with all three.
Actually, I think it's highly likely that we'll see all three playing in R1. It's disappointing, because I don't rate McKernan at all and think he will make a fine SANFL player one day.. but I think it's highly likely that this is the combination we'll see selected in R1.

I will be particularly interested in how they will use our back up midfielders now the big boys are back. We have been trialling Kerridge and Lyons as tagging midfielders on the oppositions key mids and allowing Riley and Crouch to hunt the ball.

I expect that Riley will play the Petrenko role in round one. Pup is coming off a shoulder reco and his key strength is tackling so he should test out his shoulder at the Eagles before we unleash him (unfortunately this is a bit too logical since we allowed him to imitate Richard Kimble's nemisis in the prelim). I have not given up hope that we will try Kerridge in vB's role in the second half of last season and use vB elsewhere.

Our backline looks a bit dodgy without Brodie Smith and the magnificent Dogga so I would be astounded if we used DMac on the wing instead of HBF. Sam Shaw has to play against Geelong if he is to be a chance for round 1 and I would prefer to see Luke Thompson rather than AndyOtten (mostly to annoy Vader) if Sam isn't ready.

Finally, I do not think we should play Porps, Callinan and Johncock in our starting 22 come round one. Porps is a given so I would have Stiffy just nudging out Nutta at this stage.

From your outs I'd like to see CEY Lo Green, Martin and Lyons in.

Outs: Any three out of Douglas, Tambling, Otten, Brown, Douglas, Johncock or Douglas. Or two if they've decided on the ruck/talls situation.

No problems with me if they do as you suggest to rest 3 players to give CEY, Martin and Lyon a run. In the team that I selected I've taken Sando literally at his word that he will play his best available side.

I think they will try the 3 talls approach, Carl, be it this game or next.

Why I say this, is that Walker is going to get double teamed virtually every game from now on. If we have 2 additional talls up there who have the brains to spread, it takes the pressure off of Walker as they become alternative marking options for the long ball.

It also guarantees that Jacobs won't get burnt out by year end as he did last year, as he will have 2 options to give him a rest, keeping him pretty fresh.

The downside of course is that we will be down a mid-fielder in our rotations.

That's why I think they will experiment with it either this week or next to see how it goes.

Well you know there is this thing called a synonym, but since it is a 7 letter word with only one vowel it isn't widely known:p ....

And I hope everyone knows the core group of VB, Thomo, Danger, Sloane, Jacobs, Walker, Talia, DMac, Stiffy, Vince, Radar, Henderson, Wright..... most should get a game. Into this we will see some new additions, I think JJ is making the transition in and by seasons end Stiffy may be fading out. He looks supremely fit and I hope he returns to top form, but by the end, I fear wear and tear might take their toll. We might see Martin get a chance to cement a more regular spot.....

Not sure I'd have Hendo in the 'core group', from which by the looks of it you have as our best players.

I know the debate has been done all pre-season, but don't think last year he would have been rated in the top 15 players, like you have him here.

I read the majority of match reports from the weekend, which by all reports he played well, but they mainly also said he was a 'loose' defender? If Hendo is going to be worth much to us, he needs to be more than a loose defender, as any number of players can play that role and look good in it, maybe even me.

For mine it's still a big year for Hendo to prove that his talents can translate to performance in the AFL.

B: Otten, Rutten, Brown
HB: van Berlo, Talia, Reilly
C: Tambling, Dangerfield, Douglas
HF: Martin, Walker, Vince
F: Callinan, Jenkins, J.Porplyzia
R: Jacobs, Sloane, S Thompson
I: McKernan, Couch, Henderson, Johncock, Reily, Lynch
Rest: Wright, Mackay
Not ready: Petrenko

Important to try out Otten v Lynch; Tambling v Martin v Reily, Brown for where there are still question marks in our team; Jacobs, McKernan, Walker & Jenkins combo.

B: Otten, Rutten, Brown
HB: van Berlo, Talia, Reilly
C: Tambling, Dangerfield, Douglas
HF: Martin, Walker, Vince
F: Callinan, Jenkins, J.Porplyzia
R: Jacobs, Sloane, S Thompson
I: McKernan, Couch, Henderson, Johncock, Reily, Lynch
Rest: Wright, Mackay
Not ready: Petrenko

Important to try out Otten v Lynch; Tambling v Martin v Reily, Brown for where there are still question marks in our team; Jacobs, McKernan, Walker & Jenkins combo.
Like your ideas K Mc and like Martin in Fwd role as see that small fwd area not fixed.
Whilst understand reason to look at having Smack in to look at 3 talls , I still think we still have Sellar thinking it is going to happen one day but doesn't .
Question is Shaw ok to play and if so you would think Sando would want to look at , with maybe Talia having this game off .

Squad's been released

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-02-28/crows-load-up-for-cats-clash.workstation

2. Brad Crouch
3. Brent Reilly
4. Josh Jenkins
5. Scott Thompson
7. Nathan van Berlo
8. Lewis Johnston
9. Rory Sloane
10. Matthew Jaensch
11. Matthew Wright
13. Taylor Walker
14. David Mackay
16. Luke Brown
17. Bernie Vince
18. Graham Johncock
22. Andy Otten
24. Sam Jacobs
25. Ben Rutten
26. Richard Douglas
27. Tom Lynch
29. Sam Kerridge
32. Patrick Dangerfield
35. Shaun McKernan
36. Brodie Martin
37. Ian Callinan
40. Jason Porplyzia
43. Aidan Riley
45. Ricky Henderson

Squad's been released

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-02-28/crows-load-up-for-cats-clash.workstation

2. Brad Crouch
3. Brent Reilly
4. Josh Jenkins
5. Scott Thompson
7. Nathan van Berlo
8. Lewis Johnston
9. Rory Sloane
10. Matthew Jaensch
11. Matthew Wright
13. Taylor Walker
14. David Mackay
16. Luke Brown
17. Bernie Vince
18. Graham Johncock
22. Andy Otten
24. Sam Jacobs
25. Ben Rutten
26. Richard Douglas
27. Tom Lynch
29. Sam Kerridge
32. Patrick Dangerfield
35. Shaun McKernan
36. Brodie Martin
37. Ian Callinan
40. Jason Porplyzia
43. Aidan Riley
45. Ricky Henderson
Interesting ones for me in bold. Tambo out, Petrenko out, Talia out, and Smith out, well more to the point, the last two have to fit back in for sure, the first two probably, plus a couple have to go out.

Talia had a virus last couple of weeks apparently, that might explain his slow motion start.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back