Game Day NAB Wk 1 Crows Vs Saints Vs Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Golden rule

Don't play a zone with a young side

Our Zone broke down badly which exposed our defence

Should of went man on man with such an inexperienced side

I remember when we lost to port by 9 goals in 2010. We know how that season went...

Not saying it will carry over this year but yeah. Deplorable effort so far.

Yeah and in the 2010 pre season games, St Kilda lost to Port Adelaide by 100 plus points and made the Grand Final. Pre season games isn't about winning, score board or looking good. It's about getting player structures right and allowing new players to understand the system.

Golden rule

Don't play a zone with a young side

Our Zone broke down badly which exposed our defence

Should of went man on man with such an inexperienced side

Nope, this is the perfect opportunity to play the zone if Sanderson has strong intentions of playing the zone in the main season.

When are these young guys supposed to learn how to play the zone against a match day opponent? do it now when the result means squat.

If they are exposed to the zone now, when they are needed to come into the side they can perform that role. It doesn't look good at the moment because we are missing our best 10 or so players, add them and the everyone takes a step down the pecking order and had a lesser role in the team to play.

Smith around/with the ball looks great. Needs to be utilised this season.

Lyons sloppy.

Didn't think smack was too bad couple of good tables and ruck body work. Taps were useless though.

tambling was okay I thought.

Jaensch had never looked an afl player to me. Keep waiting for him to show something.

Brown and Laird were clean, like their disposal but they still have work to do on their defensive side of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roo said it perfectly when he said that our key players played a hell of alot of footy in 2012. Last year we went hard at the preseason to establish a platform for the regular games. Now Sanderson realises that our best can compete with the best and we have a quality side - its time to build depth.

Wright / Douglas / Stiffy / Smith all looked a class above for our side. I am expecting a huge year for Smith this year.

Very interested in seeing who will emerge between Dolf/Lyons/Crouch.

Jenkins ~ 1 Handball and 3 Hitouts
McKernan ~ 1 Kick, 2 Handballs, 9 Hitouts and 1 Tackle
Johnston ~ 1 Handball
Lynch ~ 4 Kicks, 1 Handball and 3 Marks

Not a great performance from any of the would-be Tippett replacements, Lynch and Smack looking the better at this stage. Hopefully they can pick it up in the second game and give the club a reason to play them in round 1. Poor delivery into the forward 50 wouldn't have helped them to be completely fair but still not good enough.

It's important not to read too much into today's games, given the players missing and the fact that it's very early in the season. Even so, the lack of effort was disturbing.
havent seen the match but from what im reading here i sure hope that this attitude isnt allowed to get established. I would expect that when so much talent is out of the side the fringe players should be doing EVERYTHING they can to get noticed. I know a new recruit from a vic club that was gutted not to get a trial in either of his teams 2 matches, these players getting the opportunity had better be making the most of it or id like to know the reason why

stiffy, wright and douglas a class above

liked kerridge and ellis yolmen though. not much else to write home about at this moment.
Agree with this.

Didn't mind tamblings game.

Smith did some very classy things.

Out of Jenkins, smack, lynch and Johnston, all looked average. Jenkins looks afl quality compared to the others though.

I'm willing to forgive for now, lets see if they come out in the second game with a bit more fire and effort. Another lacking performance and a few guys might not be getting another opportunity in the NAB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day NAB Wk 1 Crows Vs Saints Vs Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Back