Campbell's Chunky

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Well, I think we all know where Nathan Bocks best position is now. He showed his near AA 2005 form, and I believe he could reach AA CHB status.

When Rutten comes back, move Perrie back to CHF, and work around McGregor and Gill as the other talls.

Stevens shouldn't be key defender, but obviously had to fill that void due to Ruttens absence, so he will play Bassett's role until Bassett comes back.

But yes, Nathan Bock absolutely DOMINATED Scott Lucas, and really, a defence of Rutten and Bock is very potent and should be our focus for the next 5-10 years.

I have been saying it all damn year.

Bock is a potential AA CHB, but only an average forward (who should only be used forward to pinch hit). Not only did he clean up his opponent, he got plenty of the ball himself & provided us plenty of drive

I hope if anything came out of this, the coaching staff realise he is best left at CHB.

Like you I was very happy with Bock's effort today at CHB, apart from 1 missed tackle in the back pocket, he was as good as you could expect and IMO our best.

I think Sheedy tried to negate his influence by playing Lucas upfield or out wide and kick over the top of CHF to the goalsquare(although this is a little hard to assume from the TV broadcast).

Lets hope he plays a blinder at CHB next week, we're going to need it!!

I dont think anyone doubts he is better as a defender, its just that otherwise for much of the year we havent had anyone up forward, just about all of our 2006 goalscorers in Ricciuto, Hentschel, Burton, Bode etc have been injured for large parts of the year. I think we are robbing peter to pay paul though, mattner looks like he is being played down back solely because of his height, rather than where he should be, on the wing.

I dont think anyone doubts he is better as a defender, its just that otherwise for much of the year we havent had anyone up forward, just about all of our 2006 goalscorers in Ricciuto, Hentschel, Burton, Bode etc have been injured for large parts of the year. I think we are robbing peter to pay paul though, mattner looks like he is being played down back solely because of his height, rather than where he should be, on the wing.
We are playing players out of position, yet there is no real reason too.

It's not like we have not had other forward options - Perrie, McGregor & then Gill came in today & showed he can give a contest.

We play Mattner in the backline for his height, yet waste a tall defender like Bock in the forward line.

We should be playing our players in their best position where possible.

I don't think there EVER was any doubt about this.

I have ALWAYS liked Bock best at CHB because of his ability to not only negate his opponent there but also provide a LOT of rebound and creative run out of defence. If Hentschel was not injured, I suspect we would have seen Bock at CHB.

I can understand why we played him as a forward for so long but IMHO, with everyone up and firing, Bock would be our first choice CHB.

With Bock at CHB, our best spine would be so much potent. With Rutten and Bock in key defensive positions you are set but there is that ever pressing, ugly situation in key forward stocks. Take Hentschel out of there and its much of muchness.

He did look very good at CHB. After recently watching some replays of older games from this year stevens looks great in the forward line too. Should be worth trying once we get Rutten and Basset back.

Looked great at CHB. Must stay there. Has been pretty obvious IMO for a lot of the season him at CHB, Rutten obviously at FB and work out the other tall forwards from there. Obviously still need to try and unearth a geniune CHF, so hopefully the one of the youngsters coming up is able to do it as I can;t see either Perrie, McGregor or Gill successfully doing it. McGregor just seems too slow and needs to be left in the square, has a very strong body and is good in a contested marking situation so needs to be left in the goalsquare. Perrie works bloody hard up the ground but his disposal has always let him down and he won't ever truly hold up a forward line. Gill looked alright today, don't know a lot about him, but his kicking was atrocious. We really need, as does every team, a strong CHF who can dominate a game.

I thought he looked really good playing back there today, definently showed he could be an elite chb and dominate that position rather than an ok forward.

Hopefully we are able to keep him there next year and he is part of getting our defence back to what it was in the last couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely a class CHB.

Also, one of the commentators made mention about his ability to be a Chad Cornes like player. Thoughts?
He might be able to play a CHB Chad Cornes role but he's not as mobile as Cornes. Cornes can play in nearly every position bar ruck. I said it in another thread- Bock needs to trim down a bit... he just needs a bit more agility. He has one big turning circle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Bock - Leave him at CHB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back