New Best Young Key Forwards (21 and under)

Remove this Banner Ad

He absolutely is.
Comes with being a pick 1. If Treacy was a pick 1, with his current stats people would be considering him up there with Darcy.

I'm not saying Treacy is but being a highly rated youngster means that you are rated higher as an AFL player even though it doesn't always translate to success at AFL level.

Darcy is averaging 2.4 contested marks a game in 2024, while Amiss is averaging 0.6.

Darcy is averaging 2.0 goal a game, while Amiss is 1.6.

And Darcy has only played 18 games v Amiss 36. So what point is ‘total goals’?

I’d be confident every club would choose Darcy over Amiss. No brainer.
Yeah sweet , as I said he should easily smash amiss output of 41 goals and marks by the end of this year then

Yeah sweet , as I said he should easily smash amiss output of 41 goals and marks by the end of this year then
FWIW you and I have punched on before but I think Amiss is a genuine KPF (not a 3rd tall) and extremely underrated

Just think Darcy will be better than Curnow in 2-3 years time, Amiss will be very good but don’t think he’ll hit those heights. Little jittery this year but as we’ve seen with McKay that doesn’t last forever.

FWIW you and I have punched on before but I think Amiss is a genuine KPF (not a 3rd tall) and extremely underrated

Just think Darcy will be better than Curnow in 2-3 years time, Amiss will be very good but don’t think he’ll hit those heights. Little jittery this year but as we’ve seen with McKay that doesn’t last forever.
Yeah look my posts regarding this has nothing really to do with down playing Darcy (I’ve said b4 the kid projects to be special) it was more to do with this idea that it’s him then daylight.

As the majority of that’s based on potential ATM and personal favourite “the vibe” in the media

It’s frustrating because I’ve seen this shit countless times happen previously,player X gets talked up beyond reproach off basically very small sample size .

Jye (whilst I’m not projecting to be better, before all you fan bois come in froffing) has not only the potential but has already backed it up with production, all the while as the number 1 kpf in a low scoring side having basically his entire first season ruined by serious kidney injury.

Appreciate the reasoned response btw

Anyhow For perspective this is a decent article..

Darcy is the hot new thing but I guarantee like Amiss is experiencing now its going to get a lot harder for him next year.

Being a key forward is ****ing hard, young guys come in and show their talent and then often drift back to the pack as opposition coaches and opponents work out how to take away their strengths. Injuries' and team form can also play a part.

From my team seems like Max King is experiencing that, teams don't let him run and jump at the ball and he hasn't worked out a good plan B yet.

Yep. On track until he got suspended. But, probably will anyway. If not this year, will do so next year.
And to think he also chops out in the ruck as well. Doesn't even need to play close to goal all game to do it.

Morris and Dear are the unexpected names, but thoroughly deserve to be in the conversation. Kudos to both of them.

I wanted us to draft Morris, but the club clearly knew what we were getting with Calsher later on as a father/son.

Morris and Dear are the unexpected names, but thoroughly deserve to be in the conversation. Kudos to both of them.

I wanted us to draft Morris, but the club clearly knew what we were getting with Calsher later on as a father/son.
My friend trained Logan for years as a junior and I think even he is surprised at how quickly he has come on

He could always clunk them and has always been a very hard worker but it is crazy to see how that has translated to senior footy for him already.

His stats parity with a Joel Amartey/Ollie Henry type

Dear is actually out performing Walter at the moment, which is pretty amazing considering how highly regarded Jed was last year at being ready made for senior footy, and Calsher being the opposite.

Dear is actually out performing Walter at the moment, which is pretty amazing considering how highly regarded Jed was last year at being ready made for senior footy, and Calsher being the opposite.

Walter can be the main target in a pack of players due to his physical size (and that is quite important). But like Hawkins I suspect he will take a while to produce at AFL level. Dear has come from the clouds.

Walter can be the main target in a pack of players due to his physical size (and that is quite important). But like Hawkins I suspect he will take a while to produce at AFL level. Dear has come from the clouds.
Jed will be a brute in time, no doubt.

Gunston’s value is being seen in Dear’s development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy is the hot new thing but I guarantee like Amiss is experiencing now its going to get a lot harder for him next year.

Being a key forward is ****ing hard, young guys come in and show their talent and then often drift back to the pack as opposition coaches and opponents work out how to take away their strengths. Injuries' and team form can also play a part.

From my team seems like Max King is experiencing that, teams don't let him run and jump at the ball and he hasn't worked out a good plan B yet.
Darcy has the ruck rotation to fall back on so he'll at least get a few touches of he's having a tough game.

I still think Walter will be scary good when he develops. Loved his draft year

Yep. On track until he got suspended. But, probably will anyway. If not this year, will do so next year.
And to think he also chops out in the ruck as well. Doesn't even need to play close to goal all game to do it.

Watching Amiss in person on the weekend I could see why he averages 7 disposals and has only taken 13 marks outside F50 all year. Doesn’t have close to the work rate of the other forwards in his side. He’s very lucky blokes like Treacy and Jackson do so much heavy lifting to cover for him.

Couldn’t have been more impressed with Treacy though, despite his atrocious kicking.

Watching Amiss in person on the weekend I could see why he averages 7 disposals and has only taken 13 marks outside F50 all year. Doesn’t have close to the work rate of the other forwards in his side. He’s very lucky blokes like Treacy and Jackson do so much heavy lifting to cover for him.

Couldn’t have been more impressed with Treacy though, despite his atrocious kicking.
Could also be an instruction, though he does look to have **** all intensity granted

Oh so that was you with your shirt off looking at the ground!.
..btw did your m8 end up getting Jamarras boots?

1718889679458.jpeg

Could also be an instruction, though he does look to have **** all intensity granted

He just doesn’t seem to have any desire to make an impact and is happy to wait for the ball to fall in his lap a few times a game. His opponent Liam Jones had his second lowest disposals and equal lowest spoils for the season because Amiss spent so much time doing SFA where the ball wasn’t.

Well Max King is 200 cm and playing in the Goal Square. I am Suprised he doesnt average 10-15 ruck hit outs a game even though he is a future 50-60 goal a year forward.

King would be a better player If there was a Nick Riewoldt or Barry Hall or Fraser Gherig up forward to take a defender off him.

Cant believe how high people have put Cadman in some of their lists.

Bloke has been absoloutly dreadful. I just don't see it with him at all. Not great ball winning ability and not very classy once he gets the ball.

There have been moments this year I have genuinley felt sorry for him he's been so bad.

Alot of speculation only ITT. 1.5 goals a games or so for these young forwards so we are really trying to gauge if they can take the next step.

Reminds me how lucky the Hawks were when Buddy and Roughead kicked 113 goals and 75 goals as 21yo in 2008.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Best Young Key Forwards (21 and under)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back