Next out of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne and St Kilda to win a flag?

Who wins a flag before the others?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

North

we about to bottom out ala lions when they got Rayner then rebound the next year into contention when all our injured players are back

I remember Carlton fans saying similar in 2016 in that they were closer to a flag than Richmond, because Carlton had already started their rebuild.

St Kilda becoming pretty good, and could get top 4 in 2020.

Carlisle nope....bad karma when a player tries to hurt an opposition player who is injured, sickly stuff.

Carlton pretty good and improving, will make the 8 2021.

North next best, but dont hold your breath.

Essendon, Melbourne pretty even couldnt win a flag even if they merged, both have real deep problems.

I agree. On that basis,

Essendon - look like they will be top 8 over next few years. Bridging to genuine contender - I think Daniher is (would have been) the missing piece.
Melbourne - 21 Corollas and 1 Ferrari. Gawn is the only thing that stands between them and bottom 4.
Saints - An AA grade midfielder away from top 4. Best spine of this group. Like Bombers should be solid top 8 over next few years.
Carlton - List seems all over the place and at the moment does not look like it is set to come together all at once.
North - I think a long way off. Like Saints probably need an injection of A grade talent but in more places than the Saints.
Jack Steele is our AA midfielder and he’s a huge reason we currently sit third!

Jack Steele is our AA midfielder and he’s a huge reason we currently sit third!

Well hold on to your horses son. Sitting 3rd at round 9 is great. Let's wait a bit longer before declaring the spot ours.

Yes Steele has elevated to AA grade but that is not to say we only need one. You look at every premier over the last 15 years, all of them had at least two AA mids in the team.

Well hold on to your horses son. Sitting 3rd at round 9 is great. Let's wait a bit longer before declaring the spot ours.

Yes Steele has elevated to AA grade but that is not to say we only need one. You look at every premier over the last 15 years, all of them had at least two AA mids in the team.
Not declaring anything my man! Simply stating our current position and one of the guys I feel has elevated his game to help us be in this position at this point in time.

I agree one more wouldn’t hurt, would be nice to find that from within our current stocks rather than bringing one in but I’ll take another anyway we can get it!

Not a fan of these type of threads as clubs can do a lot right from a list building and coaching staff perspective and not win a premiership. A good example is the Saints from 09-12 was a much better side than the Western Bulldogs in 2016 but failed to win a flag. A much better question is which side will next build a side capable of sustained top 4/top 2 finished over a 3-4 year period. Also don't think its worth forecasting more 4-5 years as lists turn around quickly.

Essendon - I'm bullish that we will be a reasonable side for the next 3-4 years with really only Hooker and Hurley as key players over 30. The problem is to get to a top 2/4 level would require a significant influx/development of talent. Overall I'd say we are more likely to be mid table then push for a flag in the near future.

Melbourne - Gawn and Petracca are a big pieces. Bit concerned with the way management seems to think they are closer than they are. Spending big on Lever, May, Tomlinson ect. Have to wonder how scary they'd be if they had of kept the picks and spent cap space for topline free agents. Need to get the list sorted before Gawn slows down but don't really seem reliant on any other older players.

StKilda - Remind me a bit of Essendon but with more upside due to having more young unproven players. Lack top end talent but Max King could/should change that.

Carlton - Probably have the most upside of any of the teams listed. Have a stack of unproven talent not currently contributing plus Curnow to hopefully come back. Tbh no idea how they go over the next few years. Would not be surprised if they go from strength to strength and rocket up the ladder over the next two years. Also wouldn't be suprised if Dow, O'Brien, Stocker, Kennedy, Setterfield ect continue being underwhelming and they get stuck in mid table.

North Melbourne - Look to be entering a rebuild so no point trying to forecast when they put together a contending side.

Think I'm going to go with StKilda as the best list atm.
do agree, but setterfield underperforming?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't surprise if we went another 20 years without any of these 5 teams saluting.

Can't see the foundations of a Premiership list in any of them.

A lot changes in 5 years of footy let alone 20 years.

There is always too much emphasis put on the "list" in these threads and these teams won't be winning anything anytime soon if the club has the same attitude as a lot of the posters here. For example:

North will get plenty of high picks in the next 24 to 36 months if they nail them, then them.
As if just getting a bunch of draft picks right is going to win North a flag (or Carlton, Essendon, Saints, Demonds).

First you need a decent game plan
Second you need your entire list to commit to said game plan 100%
Third you need a lot of luck
Then you can start worrying about the "list"

I don't think the Tigers had a standout list in 2017 (not a bad one, but not necessarily the best) they won it through a combination of the top 3 points above (mainly 1 and 2).
As they say, its not your top six players who win the premiership its the bottom six.

I've seen enough improvement in the Saints this season and with Ratten to feel that we have a shot in the next 4-5 years.

We're still very inconsistent. At our best we play amazing to watch, free flowing attacking football. At our worst, we're inept butchers who fold at the first sign of pressure. It also seems like we have a very predictable gameplan and throughout the season, certain teams have figured us out (Geelong, Melbourne, West Coast are great examples of this).

But honestly who knows.

I remember Carlton fans saying similar in 2016 in that they were closer to a flag than Richmond, because Carlton had already started their rebuild.

Carlton's rebuilds are so comprehensive their good young kids are 30 and ready to retire by the time the rebuild is done.

Need to find a way to rebuild quicker imho.

St Kilda.

Got a few things to clean up but theres a fair bit to like long term for them.

Once they replace a couple of players who need replacing (namely Seb Ross and Jaryn Geary), and get some better output from some of their classier players like Hill, Lonie and Billings I really do think their best 22 will be pretty solid.

For whatever reason they're a team that kicks very accurately for goal when they're playing well (14.4, 15.3, 11.7, 11.7, 12.6, 12.1, 15.11, 12.6)

Howard/Coffield/Clark/Wilkie/Long is the frameworks of a strong defensive unit for the next 5 years.

Midfield needs some acquisitions too, as long as Seb Ross is getting a game in the guts you've got to question the depth in there. Gresham coming back should help that.

Forward line will get better when the midfield is strengthened + when King/Membrey/Butler/Gresham/Lonie etc start to get continuity playing together and understanding each other.

They're miles in front of Essendon and North Melbourne. Carlton might be in a decent position too but personally I think the Saints are the closest to winning a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Next out of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne and St Kilda to win a flag?

Back