Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 138 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 336 70.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Now WalshistheGOAT if you reckon there are dozens of clips on this site of Daicos staging that you could pull up in a moment then it shouldn't be hard to find 6 absolute unquestioned stages by Nick. I have looked, I cant find them but you have dozens. Can you post these to make your case?
Heres your 6, cbf finding the others

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Will never be in GOAT conversations unless he improves limitations on how he attacks a contest/man

Also a tad selfish, but that can be cleaned up quickly if he embraces it

And, at the same age, Sheezel has him covered in all important metrics
Sheezel? All important metrics? Where does he figure in Brownlow favouritism and coaches MVP? Cause at the same stage of their careers Nick was winning/favourite to win both. Assuming Sheezel is also, but by even more at present.

Sheezel? All important metrics? Where does he figure in Brownlow favouritism and coaches MVP? Cause at the same stage of their careers Nick was winning/favourite to win both. Assuming Sheezel is also, but by even more at present.

Sheezel is s year younger, so compare his output to goaties 1st season, has him cover in almost every metric

I think if both players swapped teams, we might see different outcomes

Anyway, both are very talented, but I have Sheezel ahead at the same age

Heres your 6, cbf finding the others

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Thanks for those. I can see where you are coming from but at the same time I wouldn't call this staging. All frees are there, and some of the tackles and the in the back are poorly applied also. I am going to guess where he raises the arm to accentuate the around the neck these are all 2023 vision before the rule change.

If some want to criticise I am fine with that but it doesnt particularly worry me. Maybe cause I grew up with footy in the 60s, 70s 80s and 90s where it was standard for mids , or anyone really, to try manufacture frees. Probably related to frees being paid in much greater numbers in those time. Bartlett had rules changes because he was so good at milking frees.

More modern time Selwood was the master of this. Used to drive people crazy on our board but all I saw was one one the hardest players I'd ever seen using the rules to advantage like Matthews Bartlett etc back in the day.

Staging , ala Steven May last week, is different. Havent seen that in Nick.

So fair play to you, I understand your view. I am going to guess you are a bit younger so the juices flow and you hate seeing a young Collingwood player so great in season 3 so thats going to hurt.

Sheezel is s year younger, so compare his output to goaties 1st season, has him cover in almost every metric

Well you’re very welcome to back your chosen horse. I’ll stick with mine, despite your compelling argument.

If you want to go with that argument great but for the 9 and a bit months age difference at drafting you also have to add the difference of entering the system younger and the development of being at an AFL club and playing adds. So its really not as simple as saying Nicks 9 months older in his draft year so ND season 1 is a direct comparison.

I do agree they are both very talented but I think the description should be higher. Potential generational talents who have started their careers in a way barely a handful of other players ever had. Certainly GAJ, Judd, Martin, Fyfe, Danger etc were no where near these 2 in season 1 and 2. To me it would be hard to have Harry ahead but if you went equal I would say fine.

Very good performance on the weekend, firming as a Brownlow chance with Heeney, Warner, Gulden, Bont and Cripps the others around him this year

One weakness that I’ve joked about a lot is the contested marking, he went half hearted at a contested mark opportunity on the weekend and I sort of thought, is he just not a great judge of the ball overhead and that’s why he is so amazing off the deck? Because he’s compensating for that? Or maybe, because he’s played as a hard running mid with freak repeat effort ability for his whole life with a dad feeding him ground balls in the wet at the park on weekends he never had a need to develop that part of his game?

Funnily enough, Josh has only recorded single digit CM’s in his career (Nick hasn’t recorded one) so it seems to be something they actively avoid because they are so clean below their knees

For reference, some comparable sized/aged mids (career)
Nick Daicos 0
Sam Walsh 14
Harry Sheezel 8
Chad Warner 12
Will Ashcroft 1
Errol Gulden 10
Jai Newcombe 18

It is the only negative outlier in his game, I’m just curious as to why it is such? Don’t think it matters a whole lot but is the only really knock I have on him.

Even GAJ took 132 contested grabs over his career and he was not a noted contested mark.

Well you’re very welcome to back your chosen horse. I’ll stick with mine, despite your compelling argument.

I don't have a horse in this race, I'm a neutral when it comes to both players

But I'm surprised how many people think brownlow and coaches votes is an indication of the better player, when everyone knows votes generally favour players from winning teams

Point in case, could you name a Brownlow winner this century that came from a bottom 2 side?

While stats don't show pure impact, I think everyone can concede both Sheezel and Goatie are elite talents

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get the hate tbh. Anyone would take him at their club if they could get him. Which is why he's worth 1.5 million a year. The footy he's playing for a 3rd year player is insane. Yeah he drops his knees sometimes and it's frustrating for all supporters I'm betting. But his skills and disposals under pressure more than make up for that imho.

Selwood made a career out of that tackle riding up and everyone just called it "strong" and "poor" by the person tackling. Josh is worth close to a million a year as well. And I don't think you could get any nicer people than the daicos brothers. They seem very down to earth. Still living at home with their parents is pretty wild lol. You'd think they would want some privacy. If you know what I'm sayin 🤫

If you want to go with that argument great but for the 9 and a bit months age difference at drafting you also have to add the difference of entering the system younger and the development of being at an AFL club and playing adds. So its really not as simple as saying Nicks 9 months older in his draft year so ND season 1 is a direct comparison.

I do agree they are both very talented but I think the description should be higher. Potential generational talents who have started their careers in a way barely a handful of other players ever had. Certainly GAJ, Judd, Martin, Fyfe, Danger etc were no where near these 2 in season 1 and 2. To me it would be hard to have Harry ahead but if you went equal I would say fine.
Sheezel's first year eclipsed Goaties numbers, a first 18 year old versus a first year 19 year old.

I agree, players can either start slow or take time to develop, so we will get a better idea closer to player maturity

I don't get the hate tbh. Anyone would take him at their club if they could get him. Which is why he's worth 1.5 million a year. The footy he's playing for a 3rd year player is insane. Yeah he drops his knees sometimes and it's frustrating for all supporters I'm betting. But his skills and disposals under pressure more than make up for that imho.

Selwood made a career out of that tackle riding up and everyone just called it "strong" and "poor" by the person tackling. Josh is worth close to a million a year as well. And I don't think you could get any nicer people than the daicos brothers. They seem very down to earth. Still living at home with their parents is pretty wild lol. You'd think they would want some privacy. If you know what I'm sayin 🤫
I just wish Dwayne would stop glazing him and I would enjoy him even more

I don't have a horse in this race, I'm a neutral when it comes to both players

But I'm surprised how many people think brownlow and coaches votes is an indication of the better player, when everyone knows votes generally favour players from winning teams

Point in case, could you name a Brownlow winner this century that came from a bottom 2 side?

While stats don't show pure impact, I think everyone can concede both Sheezel and Goatie are elite talents
The fact you support Carlton belies your purported neutrality.

Won’t bother researching Brownlow medals and teams finishing positions for 20+ years to answer your question, but off the top of my head the Suns were rubbish when GAJ won a Brownlow, and Carlton middling to poor when Judd and Cripps won theirs. I do however agree that playing in a stronger team gives you a better chance at getting votes in both awards.

Anyhow, given for some reason we’ve drifted into player comparison at the same age being relevant to something or other. I disagree that Sheezel is the superior player to Nick at the same age.

I would however have Jaidyn Stephenson far ahead of Patrick Cripps at the same age. Are we in agreement there?

The fact you support Carlton belies your purported neutrality.
You start to lose credibility if you want to have a serious, balanced debate. Spent a number of years in junior development, number of kids being drafted, couldn't give a stuff to which club

Won’t bother researching Brownlow medals and teams finishing positions for 20+ years to answer your question, but off the top of my head the Suns were rubbish when GAJ won a Brownlow, and Carlton middling to poor when Judd and Cripps won theirs. I do however agree that playing in a stronger team gives you a better chance at getting votes in both awards.
No one has won a Brownlow from a bottom 2 side this century, probably not even a bottom 4 side

Anyhow, given for some reason we’ve drifted into player comparison at the same age being relevant to something or other. I disagree that Sheezel is the superior player to Nick at the same age.
As you say, everyone is entitled to their opinion, statistically Sheezel had Goatie cover as a first year player, being a year younger and currently has him covered at the same age

I would however have Jaidyn Stephenson far ahead of Patrick Cripps at the same age. Are we in agreement there?
Absolutely, some players start well but either can't maintain or improve, others have greater scope for development

As you say, everyone is entitled to their opinion, statistically Sheezel had Goatie cover as a first year player, being a year younger and currently has him covered at the same age
For the record, are you saying Sheezel's 2nd year is superior to Daicos' 2nd year, or we have to wait until Sheezel's 3rd year to compare against Daicos' 2nd year?

You start to lose credibility if you want to have a serious, balanced debate. Spent a number of years in junior development, number of kids being drafted, couldn't give a stuff to which club
You tend to lose credibility when having a ‘serious and balanced debate’ when referring to players as ‘Goatie’ as well, doesn’t quite have a serious and balanced ring to it.

No one has won a Brownlow from a bottom 2 side this century, probably not even a bottom 4 side
Fairly certain GAJ won in a bottom 4 if not bottom 2 side.

Absolutely, some players start well but either can't maintain or improve, others have greater scope for development
Okay, so your entire argument about Sheezel being superior to ‘Goatie’ at the same age is largely irrelevant in that case.

Until he starts being talked about as one of, if not the best players in the competition, Sheezel and your pontifications about him and his stats are beside the point. Even according to your own logic.

Back