Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 145 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 361 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Embarrassing, isn't it? Dozens of old men with beer guts coming online to pot an incredible young footballer with every rare opportunity they get
Haha, the irony of this statement coming from a Collingwood supporter....

Yep, would be paid deliberate on 15% of occasions.

Got to love the rules of the game.
Let's have another look at that

Yep. Ran 15m and 3 different directions to shirk contact and get it out of bounds, rather than even look at the big white things which are a big part of the game.

Hard done by IMO.

I’ve watched clips, you realise many of his games were televised and archived, right?

I would agree he was vastly superior to his peers but that means nothing. It’s a completely different era, your point is a fallacy at best.

Obviously I have enormous respect for him but I really don’t think he can be considered the GOAT purely given how amateur the game he played was
He started in 1969, his greatest years were in the 70s. There was no live televised H&A matches, the 1977 GF was the 1st ever match televised live and it was not until 1984 that some H&A matches began to be televised live. Matthews played almost entirely through the time there were 12 clubs with 6 games all starting 2:10 pm Sat arvo.

In the 70s footy on TV consisted of a replay of 2 quarters of footy from the 6 games played that afternoon. “Football Replay”. Saturday night. Chanel 7 also had “World of Sport” Sunday lunchtime that discussed each of the 6 games and played a few highlights. Virtually none of these recordings were kept. So his career, especially the early part, is hardly archived at all. In 1977 he went at 27 possies a game, much lower possession game then, and 3.8 goals a game. He was a stunning player. My GOAT. But it is subjective and you have to make allowances for when played. I think the modern game is the best footy spectacle there has been so I don’t live in the past.

If you didn’t live through his career you couldn’t have seen anything much because it’s not recorded. Even living through that time you could only see 1 game per week and 1 quarter of 2 matches that were deemed match of the day. Chanel 7 didn’t even do full recordings of each match because so little of it would have aired.

Last edited:
Have to say the pile on here by posters wanting to crack into Nick makes it clear how much he worries others. Was far from his best game last night but if he wasn’t Collingwoods best last night he was close. There wasn’t anyone very good for us but Sidney maybe gets a coaches vote and Nick next after that for me. Ess players should get about 28 of the 30 coaches votes

Have to say the pile on here by posters wanting to crack into Nick makes it clear how much he worries others. Was far from his best game last night but if he wasn’t Collingwoods best last night he was close. There wasn’t anyone very good for us but Sidney maybe gets a coaches vote and Nick next after that for me. Ess players should get about 28 of the 30 coaches votes
I don't like him and all but you cannot be serious in thinking he was one of Collingwoods best last night can you? He was absolutely awful?

Quite possibly the most over hyped player in history. The media just love to paint the picture that he does things that nobody else does. It is undeniable he is soft at times and he definitely flops around to an embarrassing level staging for frees. He wouldn’t get a game in the 90’s as he would be scared out of the contest.

Fake news Goat.

Start a thread to anoint a player as a possible goat, that has played 2 seasons, the debate will rage both ways

This is very true, but people's fixation on every non positive thing he does is not healthy either and will have you jeering him over his whole career, and then it won't really matter if he wins 5 brownlows and 5 premierships (which he wont), you'll be so fixated against him you'll never accept it.

It's a shame, best to enjoy these phenomenal talents. Games in good hands with players like Butters, Gulden, Reid, Day, Sheezel, Ashcroft, Walsh, Young, Rozee, Warner, Horne Francis as well as Daicos.

This is very true, but people's fixation on every non positive thing he does is not healthy either and will have you jeering him over his whole career, and then it won't really matter if he wins 5 brownlows and 5 premierships (which he wont), you'll be so fixated against him you'll never accept it.

It's a shame, best to enjoy these phenomenal talents. Games in good hands with players like Butters, Gulden, Reid, Day, Sheezel, Ashcroft, Walsh, Young, Rozee, Warner, Horne Francis as well as Daicos.

I don't jeer players, I enjoy players reaching potential, and I'm sure goatie will too

But, some people are really insecure, needing reassurance from all and sundry that he will achieve greatness, instead of just enjoy the present

I don't jeer players, I enjoy players reaching potential, and I'm sure goatie will too

But, some people are really insecure, needing reassurance from all and sundry that he will achieve greatness, instead of just enjoy the present

Yeah it's subjective, in my mind he turned our teams fortunes around after being drafted (McRae didn't hurt coming in either) and won us a premiership, which is never something to take for granted. Never know how many of these you will see in your lifetime and chances are if you were born in the AFL era, it won't be more than 6 or 7, no matter who you support.

He is already a great of the Collingwood Football Club in my mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it's subjective, in my mind he turned our teams fortunes around after being drafted (McRae didn't hurt coming in either) and won us a premiership, which is never something to take for granted. Never know how many of these you will see in your lifetime and chances are if you were born in the AFL era, it won't be more than 6 or 7, no matter who you support.

I think Fly was the clear factor for driving a change from the stagnate Buckley style

I think he is a great young talent, but no where near the greats of the Pies, as yet

Yeah, it's weird that if you're someone who appreciates greatness, someone would consider you insecure and that you need reassurance from all and sundry...

Do you care what others think of Daicos?

I certainly don't. His performances have and will continue to do all the talking that needs to be done.

Yeah, it's weird that if you're someone who appreciates greatness, someone would consider you insecure and that you need reassurance from all and sundry...

Do you care what others think of Daicos?

I certainly don't. His performances have and will continue to do all the talking that needs to be done.

You don't care what others think? Hilarious

You continue to try and rebut any player raised as a comparison

Let's have another look at that

Yep. Ran 15m and 3 different directions to shirk contact and get it out of bounds, rather than even look at the big white things which are a big part of the game.

Hard done by IMO.

Wow.

Kept his knees clean I suppose.

Club launderer would appreciate?

Great receiver-distributor type though, no doubt.

Goatie has already done it on the biggest stage in the biggest moment. Clever ground ball win opposing Lachie Neale who is one of the best ball winners in recent times. Dished it off, left his man for dead to dash to half forward and handball the goal assist that swung the game. Superstars surge at the biggest of times and Nick did that at 20 years of age.

Goatie has already done it on the biggest stage in the biggest moment. Clever ground ball win opposing Lachie Neale who is one of the best ball winners in recent times. Dished it off, left his man for dead to dash to half forward and handball the goal assist that swung the game. Superstars surge at the biggest of times and Nick did that at 20 years of age.
But, but, but....

He wasn't in the best 3 in a mid season game in his 3rd season, so it's time for a pile on by the nay-sayers....

But, but, but....

He wasn't in the best 3 in a mid season game in his 3rd season, so it's time for a pile on by the nay-sayers....
By the "navy" sayers.

No surprise the poor Baggers are loudest complainers.

Despite being a rabble with more #1 picks than any other club their best kid is Walsh, GOATcos leaving him in his wake clearly stings.

I think Fly was the clear factor for driving a change from the stagnate Buckley style

I think he is a great young talent, but no where near the greats of the Pies, as yet
No one can be near the greats of a club after 2 seasons, which was when this thread asked its question, but like the thread question , your question would be better discussed as "can he be one of the club greats?"

It might no generate as much snark if it was confined to Collingwood.

I have watched Collingwood with great intent since the late 60s. I am an addict. For me in that time we have had a handful of players who merited serious discussion as the current best in the competition, some for only a short time. They would be Len Thompson, John Greening, Phil Carmen, Nathan Buckley, Dane Swan. Of those only Bucks would be a serious contender to be named in the best AFL team since 1970. Bucks would be the only one who is a bit of a chance to become a legend in the HOF.

So thats the pantheon of Collingwood greats since the late 60s. To that list I would add Peter McKenna,Peter Daicos and Scott Pendlebury who although they never really challenged as the best going around at any time had attributes and careers that make them all time greats. Wayne Richardson and Gavin Brown I would give honourable mentions to.

Despite contending and playing more GFs through this time than any other side bar Hawks ( no where near enough flags) we havent had many all time great players and no one that is anywhere near the GOAT discussion. Its a curiosity of sorts when you compare us to other clubs. Bar Buckley this is the 1st time in 50 years, 1st time since Greening and Thompson, we have a player who seems is going to be in legitimate contention to be discussed as the best player in the comp for a long part of his career.

Only Greening matches what Nick Daicos has done as a young player. Forget the stats etc, no one at Collingwood has influenced games and been the main driver of match winning changes in games like he has in these last 2 seasons. I have little doubt Greening would have been Collingwoods greatest ever and a legend of the game if not for O'Dea. So on that basis I would be shocked if ND isn't an all time great of Collingwood by career end and I expect he will end up our best player of all time.

Last edited:
By the "navy" sayers.

No surprise the poor Baggers are loudest complainers.

Despite being a rabble with more #1 picks than any other club their best kid is Walsh, GOATcos leaving him in his wake clearly stings.
and Walsh is an absolute star of the game. I have said numerous times to mates, he is a Carlton player I find hard to hate because of the way he plays. He is a gem. But Nick is clearly better.

Works both ways.
Who do you think are the biggest group who doesn't want Carlton to achieve the ultimate team success ?
Queue collingwood supporters...
I am absolutely front of that queue but have no trouble acknowledging how good the top end of Carlton is. Charlie, Walsh, Cripps, Whietering is as good as any 4 in the comp.

Back