Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 146 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 377 72.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You're clearly having a crack here, but it's actually not as far away from the truth than your posts about him usually are.

He ran in a couple of different directions as he was getting corralled towards the boundary line by multiple Essendon players, and he clearly had no teammates to get the ball to, so he had 3 options:
1. Kick or handball it to noone in particular and likely turn over the ball;
2. Get tackled and either the ball comes free and an Essendon player wins control of it, or the ball gets pinned and he is done for holding the ball;
3. Run the ball over the line and play chook lotto with the deliberate OOB rule.

It was 2 Essendon players, he had 2 teammates 10-15 metres to his right, or he could have spun to his left, right foot and launched it 10-15 metres in front of goal

You must think no one watched the game

So, why would he run over the boundary, in the last quarter while the Pies were behind?
I would say he assessed things wrongly. He thought he couldnt evade, didnt want to get pinged for holding the ball and thought the bounday was close enough to be his friend. Hoped reset and go again. It was a bad miscalculation.

But courage? Of all the courageous acts there are in footy I dont see being tackled by a chasing player as one of them. Its not a situation of risk and anyway a player like Daicos would be thinking of evasion and getting free from that option as the best outcome. They are not going to worry about the physical consequences of being tackled. He is in a similar situation many times every match of being pursued by someone who wants to tackle him. He is one of the best at evasion.

When another player takes option 3, feel free to message me.
No, most other players would probably take the risk and handball/kick indiscriminately, and likely result in a turnover and score to the opposition.

Very few have the vision and decision making skills that Daicos has.

I would say he assessed things wrongly. He thought he couldnt evade, didnt want to get pinged for holding the ball and thought the bounday was close enough to be his friend. Hoped reset and go again. It was a bad miscalculation.
He had plenty of time to keep the ball in play, especially being 25 points down with 10 odd minutes to go

But courage? Of all the courageous acts there are in footy I dont see being tackled by a chasing player as one of them. Its not a situation of risk and anyway a player like Daicos would be thinking of evasion and getting free from that option as the best outcome. They are not going to worry about the physical consequences of being tackled. He is in a similar situation many times every match of being pursued by someone who wants to tackle him. He is one of the best at evasion.

Absolutely he is evasive, but he is not the type to wear a tackle to create a +1, and I guess nor should he given you want him more 1st receiver in a bit more space

But in that situation he should have kept the ball in motion, with the possibility of taking contact

Last edited:
Based on some of the shadow boxing going on the last few pages I think we have the pies supporters right where we want them ladies and gents
Agreed and I reckon it was you who did the most to get it back on track. Nominating young C Judd as a recent great you thought was at the level Daicos and Sheezel have achieved in their 1st 2 seasons.

A meaningful idea in a converstaion where the negatives have just meandered all over the place

Any comments on the Cripps diving on the weekend, or do you want to continue to microanalyse Daicos.
Still waiting on footage, have you found any?

With you courage and football nous, I'm astounded you never played at the level.
You have no idea what level anyone here has played

Unfortunately, your assessments are based on cognitive bias, and it's why most of your predictions never eventuate

Hope analysis

Agreed and I reckon it was you who did the most to get it back on track. Nominating young C Judd as a recent great you thought was at the level Daicos and Sheezel have achieved in their 1st 2 seasons.

A meaningful idea in a converstaion where the negatives have just meandered all over the place

I actually enjoyed our back and forth, you seem reasonable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The contested ball players that you believe are making Daicos appear to have more game presence than is warranted by his talent have in fact not played this year - Mitchell and Adams for instance. Nick has starred without them feeding him the ball. Seems to me he doesn't need those players to make him appear elite. Nor is he the selfish player you claim him to be. You got it all wrong.
Have you watched a Collingwood game this year?
Its not Mitchell or Adams, its Pendlebury(who is lasting considerably longer than he has any right to), Crisp, and whichever VFL player they can find to go in and do everything in their power to get the ball into the hands of Daicos.
The CBA setup for Collingwood is generally Daicos with 2 other blokes whose only job is to block.

Daicos has been a lot less selfish this year than he was previously, but the game plan is still more or less get the ball to Daicos.

Its not a slight on him, its just what it is. No player can do it all, the fact is Daicos is a smallish player whose weapons are his running and his decision making

Hold up... So now Nicky running the ball out of bands like a scared campaigner is 'elite vision and game sense' ?

Cracking Up Lol GIF

He had plenty of time to keep the ball in play, especially being 25 points down with 10 odd minutes to go

Absolutely he is evasive, but he is not the type to where a tackle to create a +1, and I guess nor should he given you want him more 1st receiver in a bit more space

But in that situation he should have kept the ball in motion, with the possibility of taking contact
Yeah he had plenty of time which makes it a big miscalculation. He should have kept the ball in. DOnt see it having anything with being scared, its just not a scary part of the game. Plenty of players have stepped over the line, thinking no doubt they had it properly disguised, but end up looking obvious.

Yeah he had plenty of time which makes it a big miscalculation. He should have kept the ball in. DOnt see it having anything with being scared, its just not a scary part of the game. Plenty of players have stepped over the line, thinking no doubt they had it properly disguised, but end up looking obvious.
And his dozen scrubbers off the deck? I've played footy nearly all my life and I can tell you the only time you do them frequently is when you're scared of incoming hits and don't want to take the contact. Most often happens when players are returning from injury.

I will tip off here with a comparison of the modern great players and compare their career starts. Of these only GAJ has a place in GOAT discussions IMHO. Restricted to non KPPs/talls as the others take time.

GAJ clearly no
Judd no
Danger clearly no
Fyfe no
Martin no
Neale clearly no
Bont clearly no
Pendles clearly no
Voss clearly no
Buckley closer but started older
Riccuito clearly no
Harvey B clearly no
Harvey R clearly no
Williams close but started older
Mitchell clearly no

So this is the question for this thread. Does this player after 2 seasons look better that the great modern mids looked after 2 seasons. The answer to me is a resounding yes. On that basis its reasonable to speculate could this be a career start that will turn into a career that will lead to GOAT discussion. I would say he has done as much as he could in 2 seasons which has now translated to 3 to answer in the affirmative.
Ah yes let's just take your word as gospel...

Reading this thread and seeing the ridiculous criticisms of Nick is refreshing.

It’s incredible how jealous you all are of this kid. Tall poppy syndrome.
Reading this thread and seeing the ridiculous stroking of Nick by Pies fans is unsurprising.

It's incredible how a troll thread started by a Pies fan has received criticism :rolleyes:

Any comments on the Cripps diving on the weekend, or do you want to continue to microanalyse Daicos.

With your courage and football nous, I'm astounded you never played at the level.
When Carlton fans start a thread on the main board claiming that Cripps can be the GOAT, you'd better believe we'd all start microanalysing. But that hasn't happened, unlike the whispers thread.

When Carlton fans start a thread on the main board claiming that Cripps can be the GOAT, you'd better believe we'd all start microanalysing. But that hasn't happened, unlike the whispers thread.
Because Cripps as the greatest player of all time is not a possibility.

But we all know (and some fear) that it is absolutely a possibility for Daicos.

Back