Preview NO CHANGE - Grand Final v West Coast Eagles, Saturday at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

The curious case of Darcy Moore and the eight-week hamstring strain

Sam Landsberger, Herald Sun
September 26, 2018 5:21pm
Subscriber only

JOSH Kennedy knows how hard it is to kick goals on Darcy Moore.

“With Darcy, he’s very quick,” Kennedy told the Herald Sun this week.

“So it’s hard to get a lead-up on him because he gets going, and he’s so tall as well, which makes it hard in the air.”

The West Coast champion booted 3.1 against Collingwood in Round 17. But it was Moore, playing his first game in nine weeks, who took the points.

Kennedy grasped two contested marks opposed to Jeremy Howe in the first quarter and then kicked his third goal via a ‘Joe the Goose’ handball from Mark LeCras.

TRADE LATEST: SHIEL, HOGAN, KELLY, NEALE, McGOVERN

AFL DAILY: LATEST BREAKING AFL NEWS

HUGE HONOUR: BUCKS NAMED COACH OF THE YEAR

a30d1948ba0f39892ce406869539807a

Would Darcy Moore enhance the Pies’ chances of beating the Eagles on Saturday? Picture: AFL Media

It was a goalless second half as Moore found his groove. And it is that July duel which makes Collingwood’s selection so fascinating tonight.

While Tyson Goldsack heroically battled against a rusty Kennedy in the qualifying final, the Eagle’s second half — he kicked 2.4 — was telling, and then Goldsack was exposed by Jack Riewoldt last week.

Magpies coach Nathan Buckley yesterday said there were still “some moving parts” when it came to Grand Final selection.

But unless one of those parts is Moore moving his hand into the air, and declaring himself available, you suspect both teams will enter unchanged.

Unless he has suffered an undisclosed setback, it is hard to believe Moore couldn’t be fit.

Two weeks ago Buckley said Moore was “basically best on track” after the main training session and yet he didn’t play in the semi-final or preliminary final.

a3f21a866f1b882726deba9284ee99e6

Darcy Moore cracks a smile at Pies open training on Tuesday. Picture: AAP

Surely 14 days on he is ready.

The Grand Final marks 56 days since Moore suffered what football boss Geoff Walsh dubbed a “hamstring strain” … to his good side.

“(But) the significance of the injury being in the right leg is it is not related to Darcy’s recent history,” Walsh said at the time.

It is unclear exactly when Moore suffered that Round 20 strain — he jogged off the ground — but he has had eight weeks to get it right.

Training at top speed for the past few weeks suggests any hamstring scans he has had recently are clear.

After Moore blanketed Kennedy in Round 17, Essendon great Tim Watson declared he had the makings of a “superstar defender” for the next 10 years.

Buckley said Moore’s performance that day was “a clear positive for us”.

“He made some really good plays,” Buckley said.

“That’s where we want to play him.”

It leads to Moore’s mindset. How hard must it be for Moore — the out-of-contract son of a club great — to put his hand up for a Grand Final?

743bae7401a4fe1ff744e8995d7d4108

What would Darcy Moore be thinking right now? Picture: Getty Images

Does he lack trust in his own body?

Moore has broken down in three out of his seven games this season and was a late withdrawal in the warm-up of another.

He has lasted just 57, 19 and 35 minutes in those breakdowns, which must weigh on his mind.

After all, Moore is a deep thinker. The Carey Grammar school captain loves to read, preferring to bury his head in a book rather than watch Friday night footy, and speaks fluent Indonesian.

“What we need to see is Darce actually say his hand is up and (he’s) ready to go. That is more of an emotional and mental belief in himself,” Buckley said recently.

“And then we need to get the tick off from the strength and conditioning and medical staff to say … it’s an acceptable risk to select him.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...m/news-story/a09cd820c5ccfa9254ff55b3c7100e05

Moore is the very tempting inclusion. On a match up basis he is a no brainer, the only reason to exclude him is his dodgy body - we still need 4 qtrs from him.

Moore is a great fit for Kennedy and can also take the resting Vardy/Lycett. This frees up Goldy to take Darling. I love that match up. I don't like Goldy on Kennedy & Howe on Darling. So Moore has a duel effect and gets some nicer match ups. From there Langdon & Howe can be real intercepting defender threats or do a job on Cripps.

This is a tough call for match committee. Big risk either way. If included and he breaks down its a disaster, if he is excluded and Kennedy/Darling takes us to the cleaners its a disaster.

Then there is the issue of who to leave out....who would be a coach. All I can come up with is Aish to be unlucky if we decide on Moore.

Reid is an option too but I am not as sold that he can come in and do a job on Kennedy - not sure why, perhaps I have forgotten his capabilities.
Someone else posted here that Moore isn’t confident in his body as well and if that really is the case, he can’t come in.

Interesting that Bucks is still saying he’s still building on the body of work (to be considered to play). Versus Reid was ready last week.

I still think this game will be won in the middle of the ground and the team that can supply their forwards or kick most including mids will win.

May even see JDG in the middle at times.

I’d also say that the team already know who’s in and who’s out (if any). Bucks has been clear on trying to set minds on the right track early in the piece.

O.K. Hear me out cos my missus thinks Im going insane. I was watching WC vs melb prelim replay and after the game just b4 they sang the club song, as one guy has put his arm around McGovern and grabs some jumper you see him visibly go oowww. Now I didn’t think about it until there was talk of rib injury.
So is my wife correct? I’m searching for evidence to prove that which I wish to believe?

O.K. Hear me out cos my missus thinks Im going insane. I was watching WC vs melb prelim replay and after the game just b4 they sang the club song, as one guy has put his arm around McGovern and grabs some jumper you see him visibly go oowww. Now I didn’t think about it until there was talk of rib injury.
So is my wife correct? I’m searching for evidence to prove that which I wish to believe?
Wives are always correct.

So endeth the lesson!!!

I would like this
Moore on Kennedy
If Moore is 100% he can create run on the counter. Reid is a good field kicker but it sure if he can match Kennedy’s speed for leading marks (Kennedy’s strength) like Darcy can.
Goldsack (193cm, 93kg) on Darling (191cm, 95kg)

Langdon on LeCras
LeCras has had 25 marks inside 50 this year averaging just over 1 a game and Tom has stepped up this year as one of the best interceptors this year and can hold his own in 1 on 1’s.

Howe on Ryan
Ryan has been a handy small forward for them this year scoring 20 goals for WC after having a great season in the WAFL kicking 73 goals last year. Stick to him like glue howey, don’t let him get a touch in our yard.

Crisp on Cripps
Old Steak Knives running both ways.

Maynard on Rioli
2 Rioli’s in 2 weeks?

945D43E3-E6BF-46C5-88F6-BE4BB15EB75F.jpeg

Definitely happens, it’s weird because he’s got both of his arms up and seems fine, then someone tugs on his jersey and he very briefly grimaces. Would be surprised if it has much effect but he’ll probably be sore. Can make gif if anyone’s interested

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we will, but geez it would be ballsy to bring Moore in. I'll back the clubs judgement either way.

I'm starting to get nervous now. I went in nerve free last weekend because we were such outsiders to win. But now we're here, favourites to win a flag I don't think anyone thought possible after round 1.

Definitely happens, it’s weird because he’s got both of his arms up and seems fine, then someone tugs on his jersey and he very briefly grimaces. Would be surprised if it has much effect but he’ll probably be sore. Can make gif if anyone’s interested
yea please

I had heard whispers of ribs.

I’d wager Collingwood would know. My guess is Mayne goes straight to him and works him over thoroughly.
And send over Greenwood to give him a how do you do, pig style.

Reckon he has fractured ribs as well. Been persistently bugging him all finals series. Need someone with a bit of niggle to get into him... if only the Pig was still free to play a defensive forward role....

No way in the world Sier gets dropped. He was crucial in the centre against Richmond.
Sier has so much plus side he’s not even picked as player 20,21,22 but a lock and a solid lock.

Terrific in traffic.

Booming kicks to space (so players can run on to it) and super quick smart handballs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview NO CHANGE - Grand Final v West Coast Eagles, Saturday at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back