No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm torn as to who I should be cheering for on Friday night.

I've had a soft spot for Melbourne since I was a teenager. I don't believe in "having a second team", but I'd describe Melbourne as being the most bearable of all opposition teams. If we don't win the flag, I'd be comfortable in seeing Melbourne break their drought.

In addition to that, I absolutely hate Geelong. There's no team I hate more. The thought of them winning the flag doesn't sit well with me.

HOWEVER...

I'd fancy our chances of beating Geelong in the GF, but I'm not sure I'd be as confident against Melbourne.

The absolute worst I'd feel is losing to Geelong in the GF. I wouldn't be able to bear that. The most satisfied I'd be is beating Geelong in the GF.

I have three days to decide who I'm cheering for, and I'm hoping others here can influence my decision.

I'm supporting Geelong, because a Geelong v Dogs grand final would mean slightly less "the Dogs are all cheating campaigners and their fans need to die in a hole".

I fully admit I'm hopelessly torn on who I want to win out of Melbourne and Geelong. There's the fairly obvious argument that a Cats victory would be much more beneficial for us if we won the following night, not only because we would finally get the opportunity to expunge the many and varied ghosts of Finals Series past, but because I truly believe we would smash them on the wide expanses of Optus.

My feelings towards Melbourne are mostly benign. Yes, they have been lucky with injuries, but there's no denying that they have consistently been the best team all year and haven't won a flag for eons. And I would like to think that the better halves of all our Bulldog nature, knowing viscerally the pains of such ardent, unfulfilled longing, would deep down feel at least a passing empathy for those long-suffering fans.

But we are fickle beings, even at the best of times.

Repeated run-ins with 14 year-old trolls seems to have soured the idea of a Dees flag for many here now brimming with the seething hate of ten thousand suns.

But the universal truth we all know is that not only does the pillowy anonymity of an online alias mean any supporter--who is already up and about after a return from an extended period in the wilderness--is more likely to be a smug ******* to garner attention, but that all clubs have their fair share of trolls who like to rollick under the main board's many bridges. I find it continually hilarious that posters from every club repeat the same line year after year: "I'd love _______ to win the flag .... if it wasn't for their smug ******** posters on BF."

That said, the thought of the Mercenary Retirement Village F.C.'s Dangerfield and Selwood being plastered all over the media for the next few months and Chris Scott becoming deified after bellowing like a drunken, disabled baboon puts me squarely in the camp of more palatable Dees flag.

Unless, of course, we win.

Last edited:

I fully admit I'm hopelessly torn on who I want to win out of Melbourne and Geelong. There's the fairly obvious argument that a Cats victory would be much more beneficial for us if we won the following night, not only because we would finally get the opportunity to expunge the many and varied ghosts of Finals Series past, but because I truly believe we would smash them on the wide expanses of Optus.

My feelings towards Melbourne are mostly benign. Yes, they have been lucky with injuries, but there's no denying that they have consistently been the best team all year and haven't won a flag for eons. And I would like to think that the better halves of all our Bulldog nature, knowing viscerally the pains of such ardent, unfulfilled longing, would deep down feel at least a passing empathy for those long-suffering fans.

But we are fickle beings, even at the best of times.

Repeated run-ins with 14 year-old trolls seems to have soured the idea of a Dees flag for many here now brimming with the seething hate of ten thousand suns.

But the universal truth we all know is that not only does the pillowy anonymity of an online alias mean any supporter--who is already up and about after a return from an extended period in the wilderness--is more likely to be a smug ******* to garner attention, but that all clubs have their fair share of trolls who like to rollick under the main board's many bridges. I find it continually hilarious that posters from every club repeat the same line year after year: "I'd love _______ to win the flag .... if it wasn't for their smug fu****** posters on BF."

That said, the thought of the Mercenary Retirement Village F.C.'s Dangerfield and Selwood being plastered all over the media for the next few months and Chris Scott becoming deified after bellowing like a drunken, disabled baboon puts me squarely in the camp of more palatable Dees flag.

Unless, of course, we win.

It's about 10-15 smug Melbourne posters on the MB that are giving people the shits - they're not representative of a fan base that has been tortured for a long time, and particularly in the last decade or so. Plus there are a group of posters for every club, including ours, that make you want to thump your head against the table when you see what's written on the MB sometimes.

Friday night is a no-brainer for me between the two - would you rather see Goodwin and Gawn or Scott and Selwood lift the cup? I think we could have a really good rivalry against the dees in the next few years and them being premiers gives us something to aim at.

I'm also sure that there will be a bunch of Port "fans" that will be insanely irritating on BF should they beat the dogs on Sat night, but again not representative of a whole footy club. Robbie Gray is one of my favourite non-dogs and I'd be pretty happy to see him get a premiership medal if the dogs don't make it there.

I would prefer Melbourne to win, and that is based around the bye.

I just think a team playing twice in 4 weeks is not a good thing, where as on the other hand the bye would be perfect for us after 3 hard weeks and many miles in the air.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soooo…..
He's still a chance to leave this off season

If not, he will revisit the move next year. He's not staying beyond this contract

Why exactly do i have to answer to you? I brought this up before it was released in the media and gave the reasons for it and you've decided to try to call me out on it because he has said, pre trade period mind you, that he is staying

Last edited:
He's still a chance to leave this off season

If not, he will revisit the move next year. He's not staying beyond this contract

Why exactly do i have to answer to you? I brought this up before it was released in the media and gave the reasons for it and you've decided to try to call me out on it because he has said, pre trade period mind you, that he is staying

If you don't know why you're being called out, let me remind you of this post that you made in this thread recently.

Not potentially... does, and will be leaving. I can confirm as fact.

You've changed your tune and now present "he's still a chance to leave".

For the record, I don't dispute your source, just the way you chose to deliver your earlier message.

If you don't know why you're being called out, let me remind you of this post that you made in this thread recently.
Umm ok? So what?

Not only do I not need to answer to some keyboard warriors, but I never bring up potential trade news. This is the only time and that is because Neale's godfather is not only my sister's godfather, but a friend of my family.

He said he is 100% leaving at the end of his contract and will certainly be considering leaving this off season.

And he still is considering it.

Need I remind you of players like Schache who affirmed their intentions to stay weeks before leaving in the trade period

I have no reason to doubt it at all

Umm ok? So what?

Not only do I not need to answer to some keyboard warriors, but I never bring up potential trade news. This is the only time and that is because Neale's godfather is not only my sister's godfather, but a friend of my family.

He said he is 100% leaving at the end of his contract and will certainly be considering leaving this off season.

Need I remind you of players like Schache who affirmed their intentions to stay weeks before leaving in the trade period

For what it’s worth, I believe you had a good source and solid info. It’s just always funny to see someone so adamant about a fact, only for it to blow up in their face.

For what it’s worth, I believe you had a good source and solid info. It’s just always funny to see someone so adamant about a fact, only for it to blow up in their face.
I don't think it's blown up in my face at all.

He will play out his career at Fremantle. I'm positive about that.

Yes I was told it was a very good chance of happening this year

Have you ever thought this is why people don't share information on here, because people act like heroes and attack them

I don't think it's blown up in my face at all.

He will play out his career at Fremantle. I'm positive about that.

Yes I was told it was a very good chance of happening this year

Have you ever thought this is why people don't share information on here, because people act like heroes and attack them
I genuinely don't get why people share information on here at all.
I mean I'm glad they do but I still don't get it especially if you have a good trustworthy source.

Umm ok? So what?

As I just said, I don't dispute your source of information at all.

But you're attempting to defend your choice of describing your information as "fact" when clearly it was a "possibility" that still remains uncertain. I don't see the point of your attempt to defend it, when clearly the situation remains fluid and will continue to do so until the end of the trade period.

As I just said, I don't dispute your source of information at all.

But you're attempting to defend your choice of describing your information as "fact" when clearly it was a "possibility" that still remains uncertain. I don't see the point of your attempt to defend it, when clearly the situation remains fluid and will continue to do so until the end of the trade period.
Because I see an attack on something I have put out there as a. Attack on my character

Again, I don't bring things like this up very much at all, and I don't like being attacked about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back