Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

And of course Browne likes the pre-finals bye as it gave Lynch an extra weeks recovery & Richmond are through to the grand final

But the stats from Johnny are pretty damning

I agree with you. The bye at the start does not favor the teams that win the qualifying finals as they end up playing only one game in 28 days to the prelim. Especially this year with a shortened season and quarters, not winning the qualifying final has actually benefitted Richmond & Geelong who have gone into the prelims match fit and hardened.

I agree with you. The bye at the start does not favor the teams that win the qualifying finals as they end up playing only one game in 28 days to the prelim. Especially this year with a shortened season and quarters, not winning the qualifying final has actually benefitted Richmond & Geelong who have gone into the prelims match fit and hardened.

I think a sign that the bye is having a negative affect would be if the QF winner starts quite flat in the PF. But I don't think that happened, Brisbane actually started well from the pressure point of view as did Port. No one ever really thought Brisbane and Port were good enough to go the whole way. I mean the side that sat top of the ladder all year, won their QF and yet still wasn't fav to take out the flag, that's saying something. I think the 2 best teams of the year are in the GF.

I thought it was in place to stop teams tanking in the last round.

Which was a stupid knee jerk reaction anyway, firstly because it was ONE TEAM really, and secondly, if you have put yourself in a position to rest up in the last game of the home and away season, good luck to you and congratulations on that opportunity.

I thought it was in place to stop teams tanking in the last round.
As far as i am aware the betting agencies complained when teams started resting 10+ players to make sure they were fit for finals and saw a heap of people loading up on the opposition e.g North resting in 2015 and Freo same year i think.

Which then allowed North and Freo to be much fresher and win the first week of finals against higher rated teams.

Also allowed North to have the first week in Melb instead of traveling to Adel if i remember correctly

Pretty sure betting agencies suspended bets for those games because of the amount of money being poured into teams that should of lost but where effectively playing VFL and WAFL sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how much Tim Kelly hates his whinging wife right now.
Serious, how many people honestly thought we would be in this position and not the Eagles after Kelly left. I am always stupidly bias but I was betting my life last year it would’ve been West Coast for sure. Remarkable job they have done this year Scott & co.

Also, how unlucky was Kelly’s missus. All she wanted was to go home, COVID hits and she’s living interstate again. Gold!

Serious, how many people honestly thought we would be in this position and not the Eagles after Kelly left. I am always stupidly bias but I was betting my life last year it would’ve been West Coast for sure. Remarkable job they have done this year Scott & co.

Also, how unlucky was Kelly’s missus. All she wanted was to go home, COVID hits and she’s living interstate again. Gold!
The Eagles were supposed to be the only team that could beat Richmond on Grand Final day this season.
idLYs5.gif

It's interesting reading the Port board. They still want to sack Kenny after what is arguably their most successful season since 2014.
Opposition clubs have had the same reaction to our board for years.

As far as i am aware the betting agencies complained when teams started resting 10+ players to make sure they were fit for finals and saw a heap of people loading up on the opposition e.g North resting in 2015 and Freo same year i think.

Which then allowed North and Freo to be much fresher and win the first week of finals against higher rated teams.

Also allowed North to have the first week in Melb instead of traveling to Adel if i remember correctly

Pretty sure betting agencies suspended bets for those games because of the amount of money being poured into teams that should of lost but where effectively playing VFL and WAFL sides.

This is all true, I'm sure. And underlines the core issue. The AFL is not run in the interests of the clubs. Or, more importantly, the supporters. An entire philosophical system for rewarding teams who had achieved success in the H&A was abandoned in an instant at the behest of the betting agencies.

And the AFL then figured out that they could leverage their beholden position to these same parties by making the most of dragging out their season for another week, thereby ensuring more and more coverage (of basically nothing of significance) around the game of AFL in the wider sports media landscape.

The whole thing is so craven and transparent. And, while I agree that the couple still alive are the best two teams in the comp for the season (all things considered), the 'top two' can rightly feel aggrieved that winning your first final now becomes a disadvantage, with no continuity of football and teams coming at you in the PF who are hardened and finals-prepared in a way that is very difficult for them to replicate.

It is clearly a farce and abrogates every principle around truly advantaging the teams that have finished top two/top four across the season. But the rapacious AFL and their complicit media cronies will no doubt wave it away and call for 'caution and restraint' before making such a major change as to rescind it.

Despite the fact that they changed it on a whim after one issue at the end of one season...

:rolleyes::mad: :thumbsdown:

Reading the Hawk Board is sooooo satisfying.....they are in total despair over our GF appearance....

May they eat their sh*t sandwiches for an eternity.
The hatred is really something to see on there...so is the pathetic ass kissing by that lone tiger supporter looking for validation from the Hawks nuffies

I’m 100% sure should we win that my account will be perma banned within days from the posts I’ll write on both team boards

Reading the Hawk Board is sooooo satisfying.....they are in total despair over our GF appearance....

May they eat their sh*t sandwiches for an eternity.
Clarkson: All due respect to Geelong, they're good, but they're not that good...

I will never forget that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back