Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it didnt look very respectful. Footy club stuff like he had just won a raffle or something. Toned it down towards the end, but showed very little respect for what Houli was talking about
If that was Selwood or another Geelong leader acting in such manner during anyone's speech, let alone a teammates speech, I'd be bloody embarrassed to be associated with it

Maybe this is just an outsiders view from what we see of the teams & stuff, but Richmond seem to have a real boys club mentality, and the if you're not part of that inner circle/clique, then you're really on the outer

Trent Cotchin laughing and checking his phone while Houli gives his acceptance speech for the Stynes award just sums his leadership up perfectly
Was checking the wife’s insta to see how much his account balance increased from her cashie IG Work
Go Catters

Fox replaying old GF's..... last night had the 2004 Brisbane V Pot GF ... Chris Scott V Hardwick .... watching that game back... it was a ruthless game

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does McCartney not understand that teams are able to offer extended contacts to players at any time and doesn't have to wait until they are out of contract to begin negotiations?

If GWS are so concerned, why aren't they offering their new draftees a 3rd or 4th year off the bat rather than waiting until their second year to look at options?

(Jason) McCartney also called for the AFL to increase the mandatory two-year contracts given to draftees to start their careers.

“We’d love some consideration in the negotiations between the AFL and the AFLPA, when you’ve got a second-year player coming out of contract, they shouldn’t be exposed to the offers that are getting put in front of the players,” he said.

“It’s just not right, it confuses the players. Jye loves being in Sydney, he’s really enjoying the football club.

“He got some good opportunities this year, I’m sure he’d like more opportunities as an inside mid, but I just don’t think it’s fair on the player after two years to have to go through something like this to be honest.

“For those first-round draft picks, there needs to be considerations for a mandated three or even four-year contract rather than just the standard two at the moment.

“That’s something that needs to be looked at.”

Does McCartney not understand that teams are able to offer extended contacts to players at any time and doesn't have to wait until they are out of contract to begin negotiations?

If GWS are so concerned, why aren't they offering their new draftees a 3rd or 4th year off the bat rather than waiting until their second year to look at options?

Exactly.
Cats have done it multiple times over the years, first/second year player who looks the goods and loves the club? Offer an extension.
Pretty easy.

He wants to extend the years these players are on fixed contracts so that the players have less bargaining power.

Exactly.
Cats have done it multiple times over the years, first/second year player who looks the goods and loves the club? Offer an extension.
Pretty easy.
I'm pretty sure that most of our early selections such as Menzel, Duncan, Clark have signed 3 year deals pretty much straight away or early in proceedings

Nothing to stop other teams and players doing so - surely not something the AFL needs to mandate

I'm pretty sure that most of our early selections such as Menzel, Duncan, Clark have signed 3 year deals pretty much straight away or early in proceedings

Nothing to stop other teams and players doing so - surely not something the AFL needs to mandate

To me it just stinks of blaming others for your own deficiencies.
If you have a quality club with quality people and a good message, regardless of if you are "successful" or not, then 18 year old kids who are still in the honeymoon phase of their career should want to stay and stay long term.
If that's not happening then either you are targeting the wrong players (those prone to homesickness perhaps, or whatever else) or there's a genuine problem with your club.

Basil Zempilas has been elected Lord Mayor of Perth. Guess that means we won't have to suffer through his commentary/special comments anytime soon. :thumbsu:

We'll still see him, I think. Broadcast will mostly be done remotely from next year but have a "host" at the stadium. I'm guessing old Schnozz will be the guy for Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back