Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt

But after the siren after a finals win with a player being chaired off ?

Was it really needed? Kenny already backpedaling and apologising hard for it so he knows he well and truly ****ed up
Heat of the moment, all over now, he might be fined, we have had 10 pages of discussion, this game never ends in serving up side issues.

If you were a junior member of an organization and someone senior in your company began ridiculing you and your boss ignored it, would you feel supported in your workplace?

Sicily did what he's there to do. Back his players. Mitchell did the same.

Ken knows he ****ed up because he's apologising about it already.

So the junior member can ridicule an entire team and when called out on it sook it up?

Bit hypocritical.

Of course Ken is going to apologise to the media...

Do you know what was said or who started it? What’s the age got to do with it? You think Ginavan needs protecting?

Yeah absolutely he does in this instance.

Footy is a workplace. Ken's a senior leader in the wider organisation. Sicily protected Ginnivan after Hinkley went after him (by Hinkley's own admission).

If it was another player - yeah fair game. But Hinkley's been around the game at top level for 40 years.

Hinkley's now apologising for it and he'll probably (and rightly) be fined by the AFL.

It's not like Ginnivan went out and decked half of Port's list or deliberately belted someone off the ball.

Instead he had a bit of banter online with an old team mate and Port are so ****ing weak-willed they took it personally - Ken said as much. Ken's response says as much. I doubt Ginnivan even considered the consequences beyond "Lol, sucked in Grundy"

On top of all that he won the ****ing game. Sore winners exist. Ken's one of them.

It's emblematic of the stunted culture at Port Adelaide - too insular. Too uptight. Too rigid. Too serious.

No doubt

Was it really needed? Kenny already backpedaling and apologising hard for it so he knows he well and truly ****ed up
It’s just not something we see often. Ken probably shouldn’t have said anything and left it to the players, but it clearly burned him what Ginnivan said, he gave him shit back. But let’s not give Sicily a pass or Mitchell. Ken could be seen as out of line but he wasn’t aggressive.
We call them kids but Ginnivan is a man & he doesn’t need to be defended for giving motivation to the other team to win.

The post I was responding to suggested that Hawthorn player's bravado/banter brought Ken's response upon them.

I'm suggesting that there's nothing (banter wise) a group of young players can do that warrants a 60 year old man ridiculing a 21 year old after he's just scraped together a win.

Ken's a goose.

Heat of the moment, all over now, he might be fined, we have had 10 pages of discussion, this game never ends in serving up side issues.
We do get carried away with drama. Good game for a Friday night! I said to my friend that the ideal finish when Port got 3 goals up is for Hawks to come back and lose by missing a goal after the siren. Nearly got it!

No doubt

Was it needed? Obviously no. And I’m sure Kenny regrets his behaviour because we all can recognise when we’ve fallen short of our best.

But my comments were about Mitchell, who leads the culture at Hawthorn.

And if you expect humility and decorum from your opponents after the fact, it would seem prudent to offer something similar up before the fact

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy is a workplace. Ken's a senior leader in the wider organisation. Sicily protected Ginnivan after Hinkley went after him (by Hinkley's own admission).

If it was another player - yeah fair game. But Hinkley's been around the game at top level for 40 years.

Hinkley's now apologising for it and he'll probably (and rightly) be fined by the AFL.

It's not like Ginnivan went out and decked half of Port's list or deliberately belted someone off the ball.

Instead he had a bit of banter online with an old team mate and Port are so ****ing weak-willed they took it personally - Ken said as much. Ken's response says as much. I doubt Ginnivan even considered the consequences beyond "Lol, sucked in Grundy"

On top of all that he won the ****ing game. Sore winners exist. Ken's one of them.

It's emblematic of the stunted culture at Port Adelaide - too insular. Too uptight. Too rigid. Too serious.

I didn't hear Ken admit he started the words.

I still don't see it as any different to Scott telling Neale he's a diver.

Sicily was the one who was aggressive because he was pissed he'd just lost the game for them.

So the junior member can ridicule an entire team and when called out on it sook it up?

Bit hypocritical.

Of course Ken is going to apologise to the media...
If a social media post can affect a playing group that much then they have bigger issues

The point still stands it’s a senior coach having a go at a losing side after the siren …it’s not a good look and he will rightly get fined

Yep- can’t really agree with any of this. You might be over thinking it.
You don’t think Kenny was entitled to let Ginnivan know he wouldn’t be going to Sydney? Comon- it’s funny.

So 'weak willed' they used it to win the war.

Ginnivan fired a shot but didn't follow up.

I couldn’t give a ****. I just love him giving it to mouthy, premature celebrating sucking campaigners like Hawforn. He deserves an Australia Day honour.
Contract extension!

I didn't hear Ken admit he started the words.

I still don't see it as any different to Scott telling Neale he's a diver.

Sicily was the one who was aggressive because he was pissed he'd just lost the game for them.
The context matters they were chairing off a player …he was rightly upset at the moment

Ffs it was well after the siren and everyone has shaken hands …it was far from necessary considering Kenny started it

Bit different but keep deflecting

It's so annoying that Hinkley's verbal needling of the Hawks players has to morph into this insufferable, hyper-serious meta commentary about what is acceptable for coaches to say to players in today's game. And I'm sure Hinkley will be hit with a fine and be forced to make some boring, grovelling apology. The game as a product doesn't benefit from being forceily sanitised like this. Can't fans just form opinions on Hinkley's action and react to it without a media pressure campaign and AFL intervention to eliminate that sort of colour and personality from the sport? Let people who hate it do so and let people who love it do so. Allow it to become part of the banter. This is the sort of thing that people should just be able to either hate Hinkley for or love Hinkley for. It adds to the theatre of the sport to have shit-talking and verbal fracas like this.

I'm surprised at people think that what can be construed as workplace bullying is warranted.

Power dynamics exist and affect how these things work. Senior leaders in the AFL shouldn't be targeting players - let alone young players.

Doesn't matter that it's Hawthorn or that it's Ginnivan specifically - Ken knows he ****ed up and the AFL will almost certainly see it the same way.

Same as Kingsley making contact with Papley last week. It's just not on.

The only disappointment will be if we don't get up next week. This is all show and entertainment. Ken has apologised, so you can feel vindicated by your thoughts.

Some things are more important than show and entertainment. A lot of people-including you-are letting their views of hawthorn colour their thinking on a much more important issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back