Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We were only the 10th best team for points against over the home and away season averaging 83.8 points against.

But in the last 10 games we've averaged 73.4 points against.

That's less points per game than the best team over the season (the dogs averaging 75.5 points conceded). So we're clearly doing something right defensively.
It has certainly been noticeable how well a number of our defenders have played in the back end of the season. Jacko, Kola and Blitz have all lifted their rating. And Zuth has continued on his merry way, with Laws giving us a massive bounce from D50 as well.

Having said that, the improved midfield performance has made a key difference to all of this. And when that went haywire in the second half against the Saints, the defence again looked as inept as it has in our very worst moments of this season.

Which all adds up to the same reality...get some parity in the midfield and our defence is more than good enough to restrict the opposition. Get belted through the middle of the ground and all the Scarlos and Corzas in the world wouldn't be enough to hold back the tidal wave.

Over to you, mids...

I don't really disagree. But it's also fair to talk about just which teams we beat in that stretch.

One team that went on to make finals (Hawks).
Three of the bottom four (Crows, Eagles and Roos).
One team that lost their last four games (Dockers).
One team that won one out of their last seven games (Bombers).

It's hardly startling form when you objectively consider the opposition we faced. And it was certainly no great warning sign of what was to come from us in the QF. So I'm as delighted as anyone with what the boys produced against the Power. But you could hardly say it was massively in keeping with what we'd been offering in the two months previous to that. For the most part, it was an entirely different level from how we had been playing.

It is therefore going to be genuinely fascinating to see whether we can sustain that for two more games. If we can, we are a real chance to jag one of the most unlikely flags I have ever witnessed in my life. Because I didn't see much at all in the seven wins preceding the finals to suggest we were primed for a real assault on the premiership when we reached the pointy end.

I'm not saying we were shooting the lights out. But in a tight competition going 7-2 where really the wins were mostly convincing (Adelaide could've been a 7-8 goal win if we'd taken our chances) is pretty good form.

I've just found it interesting how people are quick to jump on "they only beat" so and so. When in reality North were up and about when we beat them. Hawthorn were the form team of the comp. Essendon were top 4 and favourites to beat us. Freo were comfortably in the 8 and we were seen as clear outsiders.

I just find it interesting that our form was played down while for example Brisbane and the Bulldogs were talked up when they dropped must win games late in the year to miss top 4.

It's weird how much our form going into finals is being questioned.

We went 7-2 leading into finals. The 2 losses were in conditions we won't see in finals that clearly favoured our opponents. We were clearly the better team in all 7 wins.

Seems like decent form?

The vast majority are sick of us being at the top.

They're past the "wow Geelong just keep competing".

It's really turning people to indifference or nitpicking.

People are expecting Hawthorn to have a let down. I thought the Dogs experience would prove to much last week but when you watched that game, it's not about the players but the system in which Hawthorn have embraced. This makes them one of the most dangerous teams to face.
They are like us. We can drop a star player and bring in someone from the VFL and you know they will play the role needed.

Port Adelaide's reliance on indivdual players is probably the most extreme of any side in the current finals. Them and Sydney rely on those 3-4 players like no other.
I can't see much love at all for Port. There's 2 posters here and like zero public tipsters on them

Phil Ward just said on SEN that Port's midfield versus Geelong's midfield was like a Ferrari versus a Datsun, and the Datsun won. I was gobsmacked. Geelong's midfield is hardly a Datsun. Even that guy, Horne for Champion Data, has said this belief that Geelong's midfield is not up to the standard of the other finalists is crap. Paddy and now Max are A graders, and Geelong is the best side in the league according to the stats at playing chaos football. The way the media continues to underestimate Geelong is hilarious.
There better be a bunch of Datsuns pulling up to the Wacky Wednesday this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's weird how much our form going into finals is being questioned.

We went 7-2 leading into finals. The 2 losses were in conditions we won't see in finals that clearly favoured our opponents. We were clearly the better team in all 7 wins.

Seems like decent form?

Spot on.
And I thought the first half against West Coast was one of the most dominant displays we have seen from any team to that point.
In all honesty, had they really wanted to, it could have been a 150 point win but you could tell they felt comfortable enough to ease off.

Coincidentally, the team I personally rated heading into finals (GWS) have now lost their past two matches.
We could potentially witness straight sets exits from two of the top four sides and I cannot recall the last time that occurred.

Another for the "players you didn't know were still playing" file.

Is this where I don't mention I've seen his name thrown around during the season with the question asked whether or not we should enquire about his services for next season...

You know, because he wins lots of the ball in the VFL

Do you think Mackie laughs and thinks whenever he sees Esava running around in a Port jumper, "And they gave us pick 25 for him!"

Nah

But I think he sits back and smiles that they gave us pick 94 for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back