Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

So you’re telling me that if we make the Grand Final, it wlll be against a team we beat by 84 points last week (and have previously beaten by 119 in a GF), or a team we beat in a GF by 81 points less than two years ago.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

I think this issue has been blown out of a bit of proportion. It’s a bit of theatre. No one got hurt. Well, aside from a number of hypocritical Hawks sooks.

In a game that has largely seen most contests eradicated (in most cases thankfully) it was good to see some raw emotions spill out. It was a clash of two eras which made it all the more interesting! As a member of the elder era, it was refreshing to see this new generation put back in their box.

I think this issue has been blown out of a bit of proportion. It’s a bit of theatre. No one got hurt. Well, aside from a number of hypocritical Hawks sooks.

In a game that has largely seen most contests eradicated (in most cases thankfully) it was good to see some raw emotions spill out. It was a clash of two eras which made it all the more interesting! As a member of the elder era, it was refreshing to see this new generation put back in their box.
It's almost undebatable to say Ken should have been the bigger person but it dismisses the elements of hypocrisy through all this.

Saying things like, Ken's 60 and his mouthing off at a 21 year old he should act his age etc is unfair. Even praising Sicily, who responded emotionally, but then at the same time saying Ken should know better...

Hawthorn are antagonizing and you should try and be better but it makes me a bit bitter that when someone gets sucked in to respond, the attitude of everyone turns straight to saying "that's really poor behaviour by Ken, he should act his age".

It's almost undebatable to say Ken should have been the bigger person but it dismisses the elements of hypocrisy through all this.

Saying things like, Ken's 60 and his mouthing off at a 21 year old he should act his age etc is unfair. Even praising Sicily, who responded emotionally, but then at the same time saying Ken should know better...

Hawthorn are antagonizing and you should try and be better but it makes me a bit bitter that when someone gets sucked in to respond, the attitude of everyone turns straight to saying "that's really poor behaviour by Ken, he should act his age".

Agreed. You’d hope that in the same situation that you’d walk off and just enjoy the celebration of the win with your players. So Ken’s actions stymied that for a short period. It will also be a distraction for the next few days in the media in their lead up to a Prelim final. Not sure that’s ideal?

But as far as referring to it as “bullying” etc I think that’s a stretch. Ginnivan who’d failed to back up his talk on the field (his opponent Burgoyne was pretty much best on AND he squibbed about 5 contests) was reminded that talk is cheap. Maybe he might learn something from it. But I doubt it.

I'll be excommunicated, I know, but I I've almost moved past hating Hawthorn when Geelong aren't directly competing with them.

The tiring years of Richmond bullshit made me realize the Hawks were pretty much our only true rival and (forgive me) our equal - so it's a weird sort of respect I have for them when they're not playing us.

They're definitely a level above the rest of the riff raff.
Yeah, I've seen what it's like when Richmond and Collingwood win the flag - and even Carlton fans carrying on like absolute muppets just for winning a final - and I realised it could be a lot worse than Hawthorn.

Yeah, I've seen what it's like when Richmond and Collingwood win the flag - and even Carlton fans carrying on like absolute muppets just for winning a final - and I realised it could be a lot worse than Hawthorn.
**** em all I say

I'll be excommunicated, I know, but I I've almost moved past hating Hawthorn when Geelong aren't directly competing with them.

The tiring years of Richmond bullshit made me realize the Hawks were pretty much our only true rival and (forgive me) our equal - so it's a weird sort of respect I have for them when they're not playing us.

Hawthorn supporters are loathsome mix from used car salesmen types to aspiring nouveau riche, who wish to cosplay as blue blooded Toorak, but can only afford a the ironically branded BYD electric SUV.

And their players look like their names should follow the formula something-"den", acting with an unearned swagger, filling the role of a cliché sports movie villain, best typified by Ben Stiller's character in Dodgeball

I don't know if I can explain it. I hate hawthorn but after dealing with Richmond supporters (I don't know all the mods but even at least one of Richmond mods seems to encourage the real psychotic stuff) it's made me....:sick: respect hawthorn a little bit or something (yuck I need a shower). Strapping Young lad at least seems kind of a genuine fella.

Now wait for me to post in the I was wrong thread.

So you’re telling me that if we make the Grand Final, it wlll be against a team we beat by 84 points last week (and have previously beaten by 119 in a GF), or a team we beat in a GF by 81 points less than two years ago.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

Yes. Gws are what worries me i think they could roll us. But if we get past them we will never get a better chance in the GF.

You can hate something and respect it at the same time.

I briefly hated Richmond but there's not enough respect there to make that stick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not really.

The hawthorn stuff is a separate issue (although i agree with you that some of the hawks players need to pull their heads in)

As parent and when you get to hinkleys age a grandparent you need to be a role model and think about the influence you are going to leave on the world you will leave behind. That sort of behaviour is not good enough and when you see it amplified at junior footy its quite clear why. Sicily and ginnivan are stupid idiots who need to mature but ken is a custodian of the game and should know better.

Most of us if that happened in a different context would deplore it but because of our views on hawthorn we walk past it. Which is clearly hypocritical.

Playing an interstate team in the Grand Final? Yes please. Good chance we get rolled in the Prelim though.

Yeah gws tsunami game is exactly what will worry our defence (bris wouldnt but gws will).

But if we get past them you couldnt ask for an easier GF.

To be workplace bullying it has to be repeated behaviour. This was more an outburst.

I take it youve forgotten ken's previous on field carry on then? Ken is a bully or at least repeatedly behaves like one.

Its not really.

The hawthorn stuff is a separate issue (although i agree with you that some of the hawks players need to pull their heads in)

As parent and when you get to hinkleys age a grandparent you need to be a role model and think about the influence you are going to leave on the world you will leave behind. That sort of behaviour is not good enough and when you see it amplified at junior footy its quite clear why. Sicily and ginnivan are stupid idiots who need to mature but ken is a custodian of the game and should know better.

Most of us if that happened in a different context would deplore it but because of our views on hawthorn we walk past it. Which is clearly hypocritical.

He's also got the weight of the footy world on his shoulders with half of Adelaide wanting his head on a spike after last week, and years of underachieving.

Coaching is said to be one of the most stressful jobs in Australia, I'm not surprised he acted out emotionally.

I'm no fan of Ken personally but he is human and that was an emotive reaction.

Our own coach has had a crack at an oppo player, so we can't be hypocritical.

This was before our win over Port last week, but it does show us that last night was the first time in 10 finals that Port defeated a team other than Geelong

While this one was posted the evening after Port defeated Sydney by 112 points

As it sits, 8 wins in a row to Port, including the last 3 at the SCG. The average winning margin is 33.9 points, remove the 112 point win and the average margin is 22.7 points with only 1 win by less than 10 points

Logic says that the Swans finished top of the ladder, have had a week off to refresh ahead of a home prelim and they'll go in as favorites - but history suggests that this Port side worries them & has cause for their own positivity ahead of the match

Who wins?

We have no idea what was said, and what has been heaped on KH and Port all week, the chance to let off a bit of steam against these show-ponies is kind of just desserts.
As a senior coach he should be above on field /on camera stuff like that .
Ps we all forget Sicily was a serial dick back in the pre hOK , Ginnivan bro days so there is probably history.

Its not really.

So were you agreeing with me? Ken was clearly wrong and should've behaved better and that's undeniable, but there's elements of hypocrisy in criticising his failure to be better and then not recognising Hawthorns behaviour.

Of all the behaviours that have occurred, Ken is most wrong. To not be silent after winning is unsportsmanlike and we view it as disrespectful to the opposition but to over celebrate when you kick goals dismisses your opponent, to dismiss an entire team by implying you'd already won is disrespectful too.

I'm not completely anti Hawthorns behaviour, there's entertainment to it, but if we are accepting this then they are also influencing junior footy behaviour, getting in opponents faces, over celebrating goals, it's all layered in not respecting your opponent. Not being respectful is what drives antisocial behaviour. Not having the ability to control your behaviour and being aware of how you are affecting others is antisocial.

If at junior levels kids are taught to be respectful to their opponents that's part of developing adults that don't then abuse from the sidelines.

I thought Sam Mitchell was quite measured in his press conference, I just think there's a hypocrisy in thinking his Captains behaviour is good leadership (because he was defending his team, well wasn't Ken standing up for his? I know I know, let the scoreboard do the talking but it's hypocritical?), and Ginnivans behaviour is acceptable because he is 21 but clearly implying Ken is completely out of line.

Again, Ken is most wrong but to criticise him for not being better and mature enough to handle the situation better whilst accepting the other, has elements of hypocrisy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back